The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Free Color Change/Transpo - from Tom Phoenix (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheSecretFire
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
Hello, I released an effect a couple months ago, involving a color change and a transposition. Here is a quick description:
- A card is selected and placed in the box.
- A second card is selected and placed face-down in your hand
- You show the face of the second selection, wave your hand, and the two selections have switched places.

When creating this, I wanted to do a color change with only ONE card in my hand, and I wanted to show the face of it before doing the change - this is my solution.

I am looking for 7 people to review this, so if you'd like to receive it for free, leave a comment or send me a PM.

Here's a demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id15tGijvzQ

Best,
Tom Phoenix
virtualwizard
View Profile
Regular user
Bailey Island, Maine
167 Posts

Profile of virtualwizard
Nice job Tom!
Mike the Magician
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
This is available and was released last month through Penguin magic. It's a transposition effect where the single card shown in your hand changes place with a card placed in the card box on the table . The change happens with just a simple wave over the single card in hand, changing into the card which was in the box. Card dumped out of box is now the card that was just shown in your hand moments before !
This is a good effect with clarity and no funky moves . It is a quick direct card effect for the close up worker. There is no arts and crafts necessary and you will be up and working through your practice runs immediately upon watching the video. This is not self working but only requires basic card handling skills. Personally I feel a more close up camera shot would help sell the effect in the demo video.
Recommended

We all see those emails telling us about "the best trick of 2016".... even though we've received 10 of those emails this year. And it's only July.

Anyway, this effect amazes audiences, and fries the brains of spectators who try to figure it out.

You will learn:
- My "Habanero Change", one of the most open and fair color changes out there
- How to do this with a borrowed deck
- How to do this with signed cards

Price is $8

Is it really the best trick so far? Well, probably not, but it's pretty good. And it's nothing compared to what's coming.
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
Thank you Rizzo, glad you enjoyed it!

Tom Phoenix
BritishMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix. Az
187 Posts

Profile of BritishMagic
So is this already available? If so can you provide the Penguin link? Looks really nice, would love to get this. Thanks.
chrislomas
View Profile
Regular user
Coningsby, Lincs
129 Posts

Profile of chrislomas
Are you still looking for people to review it?
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2016, BritishMagic wrote:
So is this already available? If so can you provide the Penguin link? Looks really nice, would love to get this. Thanks.

Yes, it's been out for about a month. A new thread will be created specifically for reviews/discussion and purchasing, here in a couple days.

Quote:
On Aug 22, 2016, chrislomas wrote:
Are you still looking for people to review it?

Yup, I've got 2 review slots left, would you like to give it a watch?

Thanks!

Tom Phoenix
chrislomas
View Profile
Regular user
Coningsby, Lincs
129 Posts

Profile of chrislomas
Happily tom send it over PM if you want?
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
Hey chrislomas, the goods are in your inbox.

Tom Phoenix
Pointyskull
View Profile
New user
Chicago IL
20 Posts

Profile of Pointyskull
If you're still looking for reviewers I would love to see it...
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Thank you Tom.

Now, let's review it.

Pros : easy to perform (two basic card sleights to learn, which most magicians probably already know), gimmick easy to ditch and bring into play (no pocket space at all).

Cons : a little set up, awkward way to show the gimmicked card.

Performing the trick is easy, only two basic sleights are required. A little set up is required. Due to what is required, it may be better as an opening (at least, that's how I would use it) before you undo the set up. Although the demo shows the trick performed in a table, it's not a requirement. You can do the trick with signed cards, which is nice. What I like most is that you can (and should) show the gimmicked card before doing the transposition effect.

About the gimmick. As someone says, no arts & crafts. The gimmick is nicely thought, easy to ditch, to bring into play, etc. The downside is that, due to the nature of the gimmick, you'll have to show the card with the gimmick in a way that looks awkward to me. You have to hold it in a certain way (you can see it in the video). If you perform that trick for a small group of people, and assuming they are close to you since they can clearly see the card index, that should be OK, and as long as you don't hold that gimmicked card for too long in this manner (but which you probably don't have to). I don't think I will perform it for a larger group of people though. I found that it's possible to handle the gimmicked card more naturally (in my opinion), even if it involves making a large piece of the gimmick.

Overall, I like the idea. Simple. Not sure it will have a place into my repertoire, but will probably give it a shot in the near future (thus I may give an update to this post later). I think a card transposition like this surely would have a good impact.
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
And the last one goes to Pointyskull.

Thank you mh1001! Yes, it was designed for close-up performances. This probably wouldn't play as well for a large audience, and if in that situation, it would be better to sit down and lap a full card.
Pointyskull
View Profile
New user
Chicago IL
20 Posts

Profile of Pointyskull
Nicely done, Tom!

Not to be wholly unoriginal with my review, but my pros/cons are pretty much a mirror of the gist of mh1001's review. So why re-invent the review wheel?

I do like this. What I really appreciate is that the sleights aren't overly complex, and the gimmick moves are pretty clean.
This is a very neat transpo, and I really believe this can be a decent fooler. Tom's explanation vid presents the how-to's of the moves with plenty of detail.

While one of the moves to show off a card does seem a wee bit unnatural, I have to admit that I didn't feel that way actually watching the presentation.
So I'm hoping that means that people you're doing it for won't think twice about it either!

I like this one, and look forward to using it.
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2016, Pointyskull wrote:
While one of the moves to show off a card does seem a wee bit unnatural, I have to admit that I didn't feel that way actually watching the presentation.
So I'm hoping that means that people you're doing it for won't think twice about it either!

That's exactly how I felt the first time I saw the video. I think I didn't noticed the detail since the first time I saw the trick, my mind was like "so, what am I seeing now ?". And perhaps people won't feel it's unnatural if you don't make a pause at that crucial moment, especially if their mind is also like "so what kind of trick he is showing me now ?". People have no cue as to what you're doing, your next moves, etc. I just hope that at the moment when you show the "convincer" of gimmicked card, some people won't ask you to show that card once more because they didn't see the index clearly. That's why I said earlier that it's better for a small audience, since they can be close enough to you. You can show the convincer quickly and they see it.

Otherwise, you can use a flap card, although it's not examinable. The gimmick here makes the card examinable, and both cards can be handed out, no switching required. Only a gimmick to be ditched (which is easy).
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
Reviews and discussion have been moved to here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=218

Quote:
On Aug 22, 2016, BritishMagic wrote:

Thank you! And yup, it's on Penguin, I'll shoot you a PM with the link.

Tom Phoenix
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Free Color Change/Transpo - from Tom Phoenix (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL