The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Review: The Imagine Nation Project by Michael O'Brien (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
822 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Review:

The Imagine Nation Project by Michael O'Brien

You may buy it here: http://www.obrienmagic.com/dvds-books-accessories.html
Here is a link to his Theory 11 page: https://www.theory11.com/marketplace/michael-obrien/tricks

----------------

First off here is is the list of effects in the book:

-Drawing a Blank: Blank deck routine (blank on both sides) in which a blank card continuously rises to the top (obviously as a gag.) Then the blank card is set aside from the rest of the deck. The spectator is asked to name a card and without any switches or funny moves, the magician picks up the blank card and prints the named card. He then sets the blank card onto the deck and with just a snap the rest of the deck magically prints as well. The deck can then be used for your next affect. Ends clean.

-Ambitious Ink: An ambitious card type routine with a kicker ending. The magician visually peels the spectator's signature off of the card and drops it back onto the card. A spectator even signs a different card, the signature is peeled off and dropped onto the first signed card so that it now contains signatures on the face and back, creating an impossible souvenir to hand out to the audience!

-Earl of Triumph: A standard Triumph type effect where the two jokers sandwich the selection. There are some cool convinceres in here that have not really been widely explored that you can add to your own Triumph effect if you like!

-Tu Tu Transpo: A fun two card transposition type effect featuring a slick multiple card control called "The Double Dribble Control"

-Boxed Reset: two four of a kinds are removed from the deck. One set is placed into the card case while the other is used for demonstration. One at a time each card turns face-down (including a hyper visual slow motion change) after all four cards go face-down, the magician turns them over to reveal that they have actually traded places with those inside the card case. The cards are removed from the case and shown to be the cards the magician was working with initially. Everything can be examined. No extra cards or gimmicks needed!

-Chicago Closer: A fun version of the Chicago opener featuring a sweet deck changing gimmick called the "Switcheroo Deck Hold-out." This three phase routine begins with a color changing deck, then continues with the standard "red hot mama" transposition, then ends with the magician producing a deck of blank cards that can be handed out for examination! Some great convincers in here and worth it even if only to learn the deck switch!

-Tour de Force: This is perhaps my cleanest effect to date. A slick in the hands triumph that is so clean, it fools magicians!

-Queens: The four queens are removed from the deck along with a "mystery card" which is set aside. A card is chosen and signed then lost among the queens. The card jumps to the top, bottom and even vanishes completely, only to be revealed as the mystery card that was set on the table in plain view sonce the beginning!

-Do As You Want: My take on the "Do as I do" plot. The magician allows a spectator to chose a card from one deck as the magician choses a card from the other. Both cards end up matching with no trading of decks or any funny business. This effect is extremely direct and to the point. Features a move called the "Pocket Utility Switch" featured in the February 2016 issue of Genii Magazine.

-Shootin' Blanks: A blank deck is shown (blank on both sides) and 4 random blank cards are removed. One at a time each blank card is printed in an extremely visual way. Then the entire deck is printed. Everything ends clean and can be handed out to be examined.

-Vista Print: A quick blank deck production in which cards are shwn on both sides to be blankc, then instantly print themselves. Can be handed out to be examined afterwards.

-Dicewave: A completely self working color changing deck routine using a set of dice to find the selected card. For the kicker ending every card is revealed to have a blue back except the chosen card which has a red back.

-Lavand: A 4 card oil and water effect with some interesting convincers. The magic happens in the spectator's hands and they are even allowed to deal the cards themselves!

-Be mine: the magician draws an image of a ring onto a chosen card. The ring then drops off of the card into the spectator's hand and the drawing vanishes!

-Sleeve up Subtlety: Learn how to use the act of sleeving up to vanish a card, produce a card, control a card or even make the card appear in your mouth!

-Matrix Production: A fun magician in trouble type effect that ends with a beautiful 4 ace production.

-Spell Check: A completely self working spelling plot in which the spectator choses a card and it is lost into the pack. The card is then found by spelling out its name.

-Regressive Sandwich: A comedy-like "Progressive Sandwich" routine in which the two jokers trap a named card.

-Card to Poket: A fun card to poket routine using pokemon cards! The selected card ends up appearing folded up inside of a pokeball for the final reveal. Great for kids shows because you can still perform high quality card magic, using items kids are already familiar with!

-A lesson in Misdirection: A multiple phase routine in which a card flips over in the deck, jumps under the card case, jumps to the magicians mouth then vanishes the deck! For the final reveal, the signed card is shown to be folded inside of the card case!

-Blank Triumph: A standard triumph effect using blank face cards. The climax ends with the cards spread showing every card face up except one. The magician asks the spectator to name a card and the card is revealed to be the named card! Everything can be examined at this point.

-Twisted Mirror: A fun color changing deck routine in which four cards turn over one at a time under impossible conditions. Each card is then shown to have a mirror on it's back which is how the illusion is created!

-Liquid Currency: A coin is heated up with a lighter to its melting point. The magician can bend the coin and even visually melt his finger through it. The routine ends with the magician visually bending the coin in half and handing it to the spectator as an impossible souvenir.

-Merlot Coins to Glass: A very visual and convincing 3 coins to wine glass routine in which the magician then produces a full bottle of wine form his sleeve and pours himself a drink!

-Three-Gone-Jinn: Three coins visually vanish one at a time and re appear inside of the coin purse. Some great subtleties here for anyone who enjoys coin work.

-Strolling chop cup: A 3 phase chop cup routine that can be performed without a table. The featured move is one in which the cup is placed into the spectators hand and yet the ball still appears under the cup IN THEIR HANDS!

-Sponge: An invisible purse frame is introduced as the magician magically produces a spone ball from inside. Each time the ball is placed into the purse it vanishes and everytime it is removed it becomes visible again!

-Veronica: A ring vanishes and jumps to different locations only to end up vanishing completely at the end and appearing inside of the ring box.

-Knot Another Rope Trick: A fun quick cut and restored rope routine that starts with only one piece of rope and ends with only one piece of rope. This way you do not need to worry about adding anything during or before the routine begins!

-Rose: A rose is produced from a handkerchief. The magician then makes rose petals appear, vanish and even jump into the spectators hands. The petals are placed back onto he rose at the end and the rose is handed out to a spectator to keep.

-Hatline Prediction: The magician makes a prediction, seals it into an envelope, then hands it out to a spectator. Bills are collected from the audience. A spectator choses a bill from the stack (no forcing, and they can change their mind if they want.) The envelope is opened and reealed to match the serial number on the bill. Features a move called the "Pocket Utility Switch" featured in the February 2016 issue of Genii Magazine.

----------------

I have had this book for over a month now. Worked through most of the items in it. Read every page. It is currently going for $34.95 plus shipping. I have preformed a number of these effects for friends and coworkers. I will be mostly talking about the effects I have done for people.

I enjoyed reading this book. I found it was easier to follow with a deck in my hands. The main thing about this book is there are a BUNCH of blank card and color changing back effects. I really enjoyed proceeding through the book and finding different things for blank cards. I have been collecting them from my Phoenix Decks and they were just collecting dust until I read some of these effects. My favorite of these would have to be Shootin' Blanks. I recently found that he has videos of these on Theory 11. I felt that this was a great opening effect. Very visual and it really peeks the interest of layman. I recently did this for some co-workers, which I found out that they had no idea you could get blank cards. So right away it set up for conversation and drew them in.

Let me get into Tour de Force. It is an in the hands triumph effect. I really liked his handling on this one. If you watch his video on it you will see how clean it really is. I found that this is also one of the easiest ones to do in the hands. I don't preform much card magic without a table so I am glad to have an option now. Give this one a look and you will love it too.

The Chicago Closer is Michael's answer to the Red Hot Mamma plot. It is a three phase effect which ends having the cards all blank. I thought this made for a very surprising ending. The great thing about this is that he goes into detail on how to make a Switcheroo, which is a deck switch. He does sell better quality ones on his site, but for younger magicians or those on a budget the one that he explains will get the job done. Overall I think his thinking adds to the effect.

The last card effect I wanted to quickly talk about is the Ambitious Ink Routine. This is an idea from a David Williamson effect. This from my practice looks great, but the set up is a bit much for me. That doesn't mean it won't work good for you. This has the potential to be one of those effects that people will talk about years after the fact. I did this one for a buddy and the look on his face was worth the price of the book. I have never seen his eyes get that big. It was a true WTF moment for him. I wish every effect could do that , but some are more prone then others.

There was one coin effect that I liked and worked on, which was Merlot Coins to Glass. It is a simple plot of coins going from one hand and ending up in a wine glass. I reminded me of the effect I saw on the Vernon Chronicles (Don't ask me which one, but I remember it because is was good coin magic). At the end he does produce a wine bottle, but I think that it is a bit of an overkill.

The rest of the effects are odds and ends. A rope effect, one with a real rose, but I did like his take on the Chop Cup. It is made for strolling. If you are looking for that sort of thing.

The one thing that really bothered me with the book was the quotations that are used. Not big to some people, but it was a bit hard on me. His use of the for selected cards like the "Eight of Spades" was fine, but I really cringed when he had something like Biddle Grip bolded and quotation marks around it. Other then that the writing I would say was good. It was easy enough for me to follow along with a deck in hand. The photos were well shot and all of them are color. The book is softbound. At the end of every effect he talks a bit about the history or what made him come up with the effect, which I thought was a nice touch. Reminded me of Harry Lorayne a bit.

I really didn't know what to expect when I ordered it, but I wanted to take a shot. I will say if you are looking for color changing back effects or blank card effects this is up your alley. Also there hasn't been much info on the book or what's inside. I hope that I have shined some light on it and perhaps others will pick it up. Michael encourages us to use our own Imagination in the magic we do.

Overall a very solid 4 out of 5.

Thank you Michael.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Review: The Imagine Nation Project by Michael O'Brien (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL