The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Misdirection (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

falcon2600
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of falcon2600
Hi,

where could I find good resources (books, videos, etc.) on learning misdirection?

Thanks.
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
One of the classics is Dariel Fitzkee's "Magic by Misdirection," which is the third book in the famous Fitzkee Trilogy.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
If you're interested in digging into questions about how and why misdirection works, the book "Sleights of Mind" by Macknik and Martinez-Conde is an interesting read. The authors are neuroscientists and the book isn't intended as an instructional text. Still, it does a good job of explaining what's going on in the brain of a person watching a magic trick, and how magicians use the wiring of the brain to their advantage.
Terry Pratchett
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Joe Bruno's "Anatomy of Misdirection" was well-received, but I haven't read it myself so I'm afraid I can't offer a personal recommendation.
Terry Pratchett
falcon2600
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of falcon2600
Since I'm also a Psychology student I already heard about "Sleights of mind" and I'm interested for the "scientific" aspects in it.

I'll search for the other books for the technical aspects as well.

Thank you very much.
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Learning misdirection? Hmm. Misdirection is better thought of as direction. It's anything that focuses attention anywhere but where the dirty work is being done. I'm not sure you can "learn" misdirection so much as employ it.

I know we like the old guys here, but young magician Bill Cook employs one of the most clever pieces of misdirection I have ever witnessed, and he doesn't move a muscle. All he does is say, "I know it's impolite to ask a woman her age, so how much do you weigh?" The question, alone, with no physical misdirection, renders his move absolutely invisible. He could parade an elephant through the room and no one would notice. And all he does is ask a question. How the heck do you "learn" that?
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
I think you make a good point, Dana, that it's really about what you're directing people's attention toward, rather than what you're directing it away from.

I think there are some useful principles one can learn, like covering small moves with big moves, or reconstruction, or increasing cognitive load. Fitzke got a whole book out of it!

There are some interesting resources here:
http://www.leirpoll.com/misdirection/misdirection.htm
Terry Pratchett
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
822 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Tom Stone Penguin Live lecture has a bunch on this
falcon2600
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of falcon2600
Yes, a question requires attention (cognitive energy) so it could be a way to direct attention on something...

And Psychology of Perception tells us that our eyes (and attention) are naturally attracted by movements and the attention is selective. So if I make a micro movement with one of my hand (which appears fixed to spectators) and in the meanwhile I make a large movement with the other one, this one is directing the attention... So we could rephrase it like the "art of direction" instead the "art of misdirection"...

This is only a simple and easy psychology explanation, but I'm not a magician...

Thanks for all your comments.
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
This discussion reminds me of seeing Mac King lecture years ago. He was demonstrating a routine, and the audience still wasn't catching how he handled a particular load, so people asked him to demonstrate the move. It turned out that the "move" was that he just reached for his inside coat pocket, but the misdirection was so strong that a room full of magicians had missed it. That day I learned that the art of directing audience attention is a much bigger part of magic than "moves."
Terry Pratchett
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
I would agree that most references to "misdirection" in magic books actually refer to the "art of direction," and in my writings I explain the concept
of "Directed Focus" as as a psychological ploy along with Inference, Implication, Inattention of Vision, etc.

but, this does not mean that Misdirection does not have a meaning and application of its own. Let us not toss out the baby with the bath water.

A number of books discuss Misdirection as a ploy other than Directing Focus, e.g. when creating a false expectation from a prop's normal function.
As an example, Arnold Furst told then when a number of spectators are to invited on stage, always have one more chair than people requested.
The audience attention will be "on edge" wondering if a mistake was made or another spectator will be chosen later (perhaps them.)
This allowed him to give secret instructions to the chose ones or test them in some way to select later effect assignment.
The extra chair created a false expectation that detracted from focused attention.

The next time you perform Linking Rings, extend your left arm and open hand. Pass a ring over your arm and back down and away.
A glass of water is in your hand! Take a sip and place the glass aside without comment. Continue your routine.
You will find that the "must be magic" quality of your routine is enhanced - especially for those who think they are "in the know."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
javlin5
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of javlin5
Although, its very advanced. Tommy Wonder has some interesting ideas on Misdirection that can change the way you perform.
Stevious
View Profile
New user
Poland
80 Posts

Profile of Stevious
Spectators always look for your intentions. Where you look their eyes will follow. Misdirection is one thing the other one is offbeat which I've only seen described in 'Tricks of the Mind', and it is equally as important.

It about building tension, and then a moment of relaxation following it. If you are relaxed and not pretending to be doing something fishy, spectators will not pay attention to you. A nice example of it is doing a trick which requires a lot of their attention, after the trick (or after some sort of revelation) you pretend that you have finished and no-one is paying attention to you, then you can do a lot of bold stuff, like put cards under the box or swap them.

A lot of magic happens right after a moment of tension, I'm still amazed how professionals use this technique.
DonEduardo
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of DonEduardo
A couple years late, but thanks for the Tom Stone Penguin Live lecture recommendation. Was exactly what I was looking for to see and understand some underlying principles of misdirection. I ordered the Fitzkee book too (the real book, not the kindle version, not sure why, just wanted to hold a book).
debjit
View Profile
Loyal user
India
213 Posts

Profile of debjit
I learn a lot of great misdirection tips and techniques from Gregory Wilson lectures and DVDs. Check out his pickpocketing techniques which are a great resource for magic misdirection too Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Misdirection (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL