The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Spelling ace to ten with a twist (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
638 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Hi, I've found several spellings from ace to king, but I remember one where you could let an spectator spell some of the cards and the wrong card would come when they do it. Every time the magician spells the next card, the right card is on top. Does anyone has a reference for that version?

Thanks,

Marc
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Sounds like "The Persistent Joker" by Tom Sellers
http://trickshop.com/free-downloads.html
It is the second e-book down in the "FREE" section. Great routine and there are many other great books on the site at very fair prices for the top quality that they are.

This effect is self working (no sleights) and plays well. Instructions are only a couple pages but it comes with set up, patter...
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
This can also be found on page 36 of Magic With Cards by Garcia & Schindler under the name of Spelling Test.
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
638 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for!!!
alecStephenson
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of alecStephenson
Also on page 60 of Dover version of EOCT (The Joker Speller)
See also page 59 for a couple of longer versions by R.W. Hull.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I have done it a few times but I don't care for "sucker tricks" as a general rule so I just tell a story about another magician doing it to me and play out both parts. Even though it is self working and can be done in the spec's hands, I like to take the "sting" out.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
alecStephenson
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

I should have added: the longer RW Hull version uses a DL so isn't self-working.
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
638 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Hi, I'll check the Encyclopedia... using the DL is fine if the effect improves, I need to check.
plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
David Ginn has a kid stage version called Lobster Card. I believe it may be in his Professional Magic for Children.
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
862 Posts

Profile of magico
Bob White and David Williamson both have good presentations for the E. G. Brown Spelling Trick (A Futile Lesson in Open Spelling)

Bob White's can be found in his it's A Matter Of Style lecture notes and also on his dvd.

Revisiting E. G. Brown's Spelling Trick.

One spectator is successful in their spelling and the other is not.

I should mention that Bob also has a way to show the Ace Thru Ten in order and then mix them up putting them in the order needed but will take some memory.

David Williamson's from his book also on his lecture dvd.

He Who Spelt It, Dealt It

Spectator succeeds and the magician fails.
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
626 Posts

Profile of JordanB
Hey Pat ^^

I'll add another vote for Bob White's take on the E.G. Brown Spelling trick from his notes/DVD. I use this very frequently.

Also would like to add that John Moehring has a great original presentation for this trick that is in his book "A Texan Trixter". The Moehring book is well worth tracking down.
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
Dave Williamson's version of this is the funniest thing. It cracks me up every time.
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
In The Wizards' Journal #30, you'll find the trick included in the e-Book on "MC Jumbo Card Tricks", along with a video by Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki : https://vimeo.com/144557830
alecStephenson
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

It's one of those things where the required spelling stack is easy to create for any presentation you can come up with, so it's probably not surprising that there are so many versions around.
JassTan
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
105 Posts

Profile of JassTan
Bob white presentation is very nice, but I use Dave Williamson's version just like chappy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Spelling ace to ten with a twist (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL