The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rainbow Monte by Juan Pablo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Anybody know anything about this trick?
I've done Martin Lewis's Sidewalk Shuffle for years and this looks like it could be a nice change up for that.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S21755

Curious if anyone has it and what your thoughts about it are?
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
This is good and nowhere near as hard as the Sidewalk Shuffle to remember, plus its examinable.

We have it listed here http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magi......ick.html
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
Calvin826
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
Wait...what? That was remarkable. Love everything about that, can't imagine how it's done if all the 'no' statements are true.I hope Penguin has them for sale at the EXPO this Sunday- will definitely buy.
Calvin826
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
Ahh. Just occurred to me what's happening. That is fantastic. If the props are made well, this would be a nice buy.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Funny how if you've been in magic long enough, what's old becomes new again. Version of Louis Falanga's Virginia City Shuffle.
Calvin826
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
Quote:
On Sep 15, 2016, emyers99 wrote:
Funny how if you've been in magic long enough, what's old becomes new again. Version of Louis Falanga's Virginia City Shuffle.

Thanks for the history, Myers. Wasn't aware of the previous versions. Have the colored backs been used before? I think that definitely adds a bit of clarity to the effect.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Yep, another version of an age old effect.
Props look nice and the handling looks good on the demo.
Just hoping to get a real world review as it seems a bit pricey for what it is.
paw
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of paw
Cards are thick and very well made. Very high-quality materials.

And yes, everything can be inspected. Easy to perform and super clean.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
People accuse me of always being negative but I like this. Simple to follow and easy to do.
Official Thread Killer
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Wow. This does look good.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
That is a pretty good trick.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
I just have a slight niggle that the handling of the cards is a bit too mechanical and £40 seems a lot for 4 cards that aren't technically gimmicked.

I also don't quite buy the examinable bit as I wouldn't want the spec playing with the aces.

Nice but a bit pricey.
Calvin826
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2016, Ray Chelt wrote:
I just have a slight niggle that the handling of the cards is a bit too mechanical and £40 seems a lot for 4 cards that aren't technically gimmicked.

I also don't quite buy the examinable bit as I wouldn't want the spec playing with the aces.

Nice but a bit pricey.

As far as the handling- I actually thought the fact that the cards are large and that there are four of them kinda justifies how they are being held, as it's a bit of a cumbersome affair. Figured this was all intentional, and very well thought out in that respect. Done with normal sized cards it would look a bit fussy, but not here, in my opinion.

And again, love the colored backs. To me it makes it all the more baffling.

You are right about the examinable part. I suspect a quick look wouldn't be a problem, but don't let them play around too much.

Ray- You may be right on the price, depending on how well these are made. Of course I would be happy to offer an impartial review should somebody want to send along a sample set :o)
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
I thought the handling was ingenious, not anything new but just something I never thought of applying to this effect along with adding the colored backs, another great touch.
Normally this effect would be done on a stage or parlor setting, in which case you just hand out the cards briefly to 4 different people if desired.
I like that they are ungimmicked but probably wouldn't choose to hand them out personally, it just makes the show lag too much.
But since they are ungimmicked, involving a spec by having them safely hold one card during the routine is another aspect I like a lot.

If the cards are as nice as they appear in the video then I wouldn't mind paying the price as it's in line with most of the jumbo card versions of this effect, and it would be difficult to make because of getting 4 different backs with matching faces in jumbo size would be difficult I think. And obviously I would want to pay Juan Pablo for giving me the idea of using the handling and colored backs.

I'll probably pick this up as I own most of the jumbo card versions of this type of effect, which I am very fond of, and this is something I would definitely use because my current routine would adapt easily to this version.
federico luduena
View Profile
Loyal user
Spain
249 Posts

Profile of federico luduena
Just to contribute some useful info: even though Rainbow Monte employs the basic idea of Virginia City Shuffle, the handling is completely different. None of the card techinques used in VCS are present in Rainbow Monte. Plus, the visibility of Rainbow Monte is superb. Juan Pablo also made a small run of mini jumbos (for carrying in the inner jacket pocket), and even those are visible from a distance.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
I did buy this and I'm happy I did. It's an extremely nice and well-done set of cards.
They are printed on super heavy card stock and very glossy. I would say each card is even thicker than the old jumbo bikes they no longer make.
Larger than standard jumbo cards too. A little over an inch longer and wider.

What I didn't expect is that the cards are printed on both the fronts and backs in such a way as to add a more convincing subtlety to the effect as well as making it easier to do. The way the backs are done is great and it's the first time I have seen it come this way from the manufacturer although I have done it myself for the very reason that Juan states. Some nice thinking behind this all around.
The video is dubbed in English but is shot well and very easy to learn from.

This will be a worker for me. I really like it a lot and consider it well worth the price.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I also bought and like this. Great thing to have in your parlor arsenal
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Anyone know where I can purchase the mini jumbo size?
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
My first viewing of this performance was ... it rocks.
Very nicely presented.

What I thought was happening - wasn't.
Isn't that just wonderful ... that's what magic is all about.

Just got to buy this item ...
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Does anyone know of a funnier patter or routine for this?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rainbow Monte by Juan Pablo (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL