The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Would like your opinion! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I am planning on selling a coin trick for an upcoming lecture tour item that uses a cup as a receptacle. I can include a cup from a cups and balls set (the shape is important for one of the moves), or include a chop cup. They look the same, but the chop cup would raise the cost of the trick by $15-20. The magnet has nothing to do with the trick, but might appeal to people who could use the cup for a dual purpose. Which do you think would be more attractive...a trick that stands by itself, or a trick with a dual purpose that would cost $15-20 more (say, selling the trick for $30, or $50). Does price matter? Does what you get matter? Included would also be coins and a DVD, and in the case of having a chop cup, two balls that would not be used for the coin trick, but would be used if the person wanted to do a chop cup routine apart from the trick I am selling. Thanks in advance for your input.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
822 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
I personally would prefer a no chop cup. Reason being that if I am doing that routine there is a difference in loads, shape, and magnet strength. These are all factors in a routine. I think since I would be doing a particular routine, I would just out right buy the chop cup to my choosing that fits my purpose.

But the type of metal cup would also play a factor.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I like the idea of being able to segue into other effects - and using the cup for alternative purposes would work.
Chop cups can be had for lower price and magnetic coins can be used in a Chop Cup.

Also consider that "Chop type" effect can be performed without a gaffed cup or object. The idea that a "found cup/glass" is used could enhance the effect.

So, I feel that offering a set instruction on possible alternative uses/advantages of a special cup could be great, but supplying not necessary.
A demo might even work well to emphasis the routining aspect of a good effect.

Consider the metal slot cup also, and the Boy Scout flexible silicon cup that has many effect possibilities (Scout Around).
A cup with a handle also has advantages.

A mini- Misers Dream can be performed with a proper cup also. (sound not gaff). So, the one coin can become four, and then ...
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

The cup is used in my routine as just a receptacle. However, other cups would not work as I need the shape of the bottom of the cup to help with a move. I have the opportunity to include a cup from a nice cups and balls set, or a chop cup that looks the same but costs more. I will not be selling a chop cup routine. However, I was thinking that people might be more willing to purchase the effect if the cup had a use for something other than the trick I was selling. The question is, would magicians at lectures who are not all coin magicians like we are, put out the extra money to buy the trick because they could get more mileage out of the props, or would they just be interested in the trick for the least expensive price, and just care about the trick that I showed. Andy knows the trick, it's on the second Penguin Live lecture. So, would you spend the extra money for a more versatile prop, or just buy the trick for the more reasonable price?
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I like the idea the chop cup version depending on the actual cup.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
IMO. many magicians already have chop cups (probably more than one). I would much prefer the stand alone version.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
I prefer my olives chopped.
Especially, in the case of martini's,..
martinoes(?),..
Ice crushed.

Magically,...?
it might be cool,
...a 'Doc Rubinstein Chop Cup Routine',...
then,.
the question would become supflurious,..
(i made that word up. 😊,,.
'Martinoes'....)
gallagher
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
I would say chop cup, you can probably come up with a routine with a magnetic coin.
What is the schedule of your lecture tour?
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Just a few weeks in Italy next March, too early for a schedule
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
Hypothetical scenario for comparison:
"Rope, Knot & Nut" - specific props for one routine, takes a lot of pocket room (weight of nut), and not instant reset unless you drop a part of the effect. Yet, everyone loves them and makes room for a stroller. But it gets the card deck on the table. And it is just so GOOD!
Would it have been better with a nice Ellis ring instead of a nut? Maybe, you could have done more things, but the cost would've been higher.

Michael, we know anything you release is gonna be so GOOD for sure. If not chopped, it gets the coins on the table. If I have a PK ring I can do a chop cup with any cup anyway. If the coins you are supplying have multiple use, Give us some goodies with to do with them 😉. Yes, I personally would pay a little more for a chopped cup because I like multiple uses. But it isn't a deal breaker!
Cheers!
Stephon
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Will there be an option for those who already have a cup that works?
If so, then go for the more expensive cup, for those who'd like to use it. For those who don't want the cup - they have a cheaper option, too.

Now it works if someone already has a chop cup (they don't have to buy yet another cup), and those who want one.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
With the new information about the special cup requirements I feel that supplying the cup with effect suggestions would be better. (echoing Stephen sort of)

Too many effects are marketed with no where to go and no way to get there, so supplying some hints as to how to combine with other effects will be great.
Supplying the cup allows you to do that including (I am sure) a list of other effects available on the full DVD set Smile
If the cup is Chopped it allows even more versatility.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Would it be possible to do both ? If not, my personal preference is to go with the lower price, single application trick. By analogy if I want a [, I will shop for the [, and probably would not be interested in apackage with other 'stuff' for extra cost.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
I understand Michaels quandry. If he is going to Finance a cup to use, he can't make 50% chopped and 50% regular. Production cost is dictated by volume. Price will be best if all the product is the same. The more variation, the more cost, thus a higher price.
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
My vote is NO Chop Cup. Several reasons:
1) Many already have a Chop cup and certainly do not need another
2) if I were in the market for a Chop cup, I would probably want it to match somewhat to my cups and balls cups (yours probably will not)
3) unless you are including the balls and also teaching a Chop cup routine, what is the point?
4) the lesser cost with the "non Chop cup" will probably help you sell more
5) *** and this is an important thought*** why not offer the effect with the cup (or without a cup if they have one already that "fits the bill"
(ie. coins, instructions, any other "special something" that makes it work with that type of cup)

I really dislike buying effects that include items I already own and do not need more of to make the effect work. Not the best example, but I will use it to make a point. "Imagination Coins" by Kozmo / Garrett Thomas could have been sold for half the price without the gimmick (that most of us already own) (in this particular case, it was a very well made gimmick and the total cost for the routine and gimmick was worth more than that asking price, but it makes the point.) If it is a common shaped cup that many magicians may already have. The "Coins, instructions (in whatever format) and anything else that you need to make it work, might sell better alone and have some ungimmicked cups for sale to those who need them.

Just my two cents from how I look at my own magic purchases. Smile

By the way, when will it be available to Those of us who can't make one of your lectures where you will be selling these?
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
NPortMagic
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of NPortMagic
I like the cup because you can go into other effects with the same props. As for the price increase if it is a quality product and material I have no issues at all. Everyone values stuff differently but if it is your product....I'm sure quality will be there
NPortMagic
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I would rather save the money and not get the chop cup as I have a good chop cup that I would prefer using.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. At this point I am leaning toward selling the coin set and dvd at one price, and the coins, dvd and chop cup combo as the complete routine. My thought here is that people who want the trick but have a cup would want at least the coins, and if they like the cup I use they would pay for the full version. The cup isn't that much more pricey than the regular metal cup from a cups and balls set, and does come with a nice bag and balls. Plus, my good friend Mike Gallo is going to give me permission to include a separate routine that would use coins and a chop cup, so they get much more! Thanks again to all for your input!
By the way, the routine is called Twilight Zone Wild Coin, and the current version is taught on the last Penguin lecture, although earlier versions can be found in Knockout Coin Magic, and the NYCMS dvd series.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Sounds like a winner. As one who happens to have all of the versions you mention, I really did like the one on the latest lecture.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Would like your opinion! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL