The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » False Equivalency (47 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I've asked to be banned
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2016, IMAGINACIAN wrote:
This is turning out to be a truly enlightening thread, for me. I'm able to learn from each of the above posts, with each poster bringing in his unique pov.

A professional (and successful) stage mentalist may feel he is the true representative of real mentalism. A professional (and successful) reader may feel the same. A successful mentalist who uses close up performances to get stage gigs may feel as an all rounder and hence a true representative of real mentalism. A creatiave amateur may feel that he is the true face of mentalism as he is able to advance the art with his new ideas. And similarly, for all we know, a professional counselor in a clinical situation genuinely helping people MAY feel that he is a 'true' mentalist in comparison to all those 'pseudo' guys who do it only for entertainment.

But I really wonder, is 'mentalism' not much more than the sum of all these? Are we not trying to LIMIT it by OUR individual experience and OUR individual perspective? Consequently defining mentalism into a rather narrower space than it actually is.

At this point, I could think through only so far...

Great perspective, only one problem with everything you mentioned. It is all from the perspective of "I" "Me" or "We" (as us within the community.) This is one of the biggest problems I see is performers that can't distinguish or separate their perception and beliefs from that of the industry professionals, bookers, audiences, the lay public and others. (We see this every summer as well with performers on AGT)

While I believe what you say is true, to all of these others, including the industry itself do not see it the same way. Most people (outside the community) would never see a reader as a mentalist. They would likely see a reader as a psychic perhaps. Most agents, promoters and bookers within the industry would never see closeup performer as a stage performer, and so on. I think this is a big reason for the differences here. Too may personal thoughts, beliefs, preferences and perspectives which of course can vary and differ, where it would be better to think collectively from the greater picture for which matters most (at least to working professionals and the industry.)
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Indeed, I've had many discussions pointing out the term "mentalism" means nothing to some, or combines things like readings, or combines even so-called magic. There is no College of Professional Mentalists that grants licences and has a standards of practice. No, the PEA isn't that either - by its very title, its Psychic Entertainers.... In the end, really, mentalists (and similar) for what I think we are discussing are ENTERTAINERS - and that term actually trumps a great deal of everything else for understanding what it means to be a professional ENTERTAINER. If you are a hobbyist that does not worry about money etc. from doing actual performances, you still might be an entertainer but are you focusing on more the methods, presentations etc. versus honing down on what your character is, your brand, the way you will use terms to connect you to getting chances to perform etc... maybe so,...

Anyway, I don't use the term mentalist for me and I doubt many would from here, although I do a great deal of what is considered mentalism for specific presentations... remember that mentalism roots are more from the Spiritualism movement and not primarily from magic...

But I do not tell them I am a medium, spiritualist or channeler either. I never call myself a magician either. Mentalist is not a well understood term in the public - and Blaine, Angel and etc. are not seen as Mentalists. The most prominent mentalist concept in N.A. likely comes from the TV show... so my terms are much more mundane... and include concepts like education, entertainment and experiential.

IMHO
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
If you are a hobbyist that does not worry about money etc. from doing actual performances, you still might be an entertainer but are you focusing on more the methods, presentations etc. versus honing down on what your character is, your brand...

I don't see how one dictates the other. I know plenty of "hobbiests" whose defined character is far superior to a lot of "pros".

Quote:
Most people (outside the community) would never see a reader as a mentalist. They would likely see a reader as a psychic perhaps.
And most people outside the community would see mentalists as psychics. Go up to ten random people in the US out in the real world and ask them "What does a mentalist do?" ... I doubt very many could say. Of those who could, most would use descriptives such as you would for a psychic. Now if you restrict the random people to those stuck in the tiny niche of professional stage performers and the booking/working process there of, then yes, many would know the difference. Some in that community are as blinded by it as they claim others are blinded by their communities.

Now in England an extremely talented person has had great success at mentalism to the point he has somewhat set the public's definition of it. Such a phenomenon is far, far ahead of the existing US market for mentalism. This person is not only amazing on stage, but he is equally as engaging in intimate settings befitting television specials. So it would come as no surprise that in this far greater developed atmosphere in the UK there is an open interest by the public in witnessing intimate mentalism performances (not on stage) such as they have seen on TV.

For whatever reason, in the US, modern day mentalists have not had or perhaps even wanted televised success. They have dropped the ball. Others, less experienced and prepared, have picked up the ball and they are beginning to set the US public's perception of what mentalism is. The train is leaving the station. Get on it or get left behind. (Said to myself as much as to anyone)
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2016, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:
If you are a hobbyist that does not worry about money etc. from doing actual performances, you still might be an entertainer but are you focusing on more the methods, presentations etc. versus honing down on what your character is, your brand...

I don't see how one dictates the other. I know plenty of "hobbiests" whose defined character is far superior to a lot of "pros".

Hmmm good point. But I'd say they may be more than hobbyists at that point too.... back to the dreaded issue of defining, which I also fall victim too when not paying attention.... is not only is there not a great way to define mentalist.... but what really is a pro versus hobbyist versus something else.... I dunno.

I do know Dai Vernon was not considered a professional full time working type - but he eclipsed so many pros in his persona (to your point).... I would say he was more than a hobbyest... hmmm.

Its interesting now that you raise this - because not only to people argue about mental magic vs mentalism, // magician vs. mentalism // psychic vs mentalist // reader vs medalist.... but what really is a "pro"? Someone who works full time calling themselves a mentalist may still not be a "pro"..... hmmm.

Yeah, you got me thinking.... as I think I was struggling to actually come up with hobbyist factors - and flipped in "persona" but there are a bunch of lousy mentalists who have none - or at least need an upgrade....

cool.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
When watching sports--have you ever seen a team that looks horrible one week and the very next game looks unbeatable? Happens all the time. That can happen with performances too. One performance you see a guy and say "wow, he isn't that good" and the next one you are taking notes on what he is doing that he is so good. I will say what seperates great teams and athletes from good ones---the ability to perform at a high level every time (that is very hard). I would say the same goes for a mentalist---to be great you need to perform at the high level every time no matter how you feel, how difficult the crowd is, etc.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2016, Dr Spektor wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2016, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:

Hmmm good point. But I'd say they may be more than hobbyists at that point too.... back to the dreaded issue of defining, which I also fall victim too when not paying attention.... is not only is there not a great way to define mentalist.... but what really is a pro versus hobbyist versus something else.... I dunno.

I do know Dai Vernon was not considered a professional full time working type - but he eclipsed so many pros in his persona (to your point).... I would say he was more than a hobbyest... hmmm.

Its interesting now that you raise this - because not only to people argue about mental magic vs mentalism, // magician vs. mentalism // psychic vs mentalist // reader vs medalist.... but what really is a "pro"? Someone who works full time calling themselves a mentalist may still not be a "pro"..... hmmm.

Yeah, you got me thinking.... as I think I was struggling to actually come up with hobbyist factors - and flipped in "persona" but there are a bunch of lousy mentalists who have none - or at least need an upgrade....

cool.
Yup, being a "pro" and professionalism are two different things it seems.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » False Equivalency (47 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL