The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What do you expect from a Magic Club (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dawai
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu,Hawaii
131 Posts

Profile of Dawai
I hope I am posting in the right topic. I just would like to see what everyones thought is. Is it all Business,Magic. What is your Ideas?
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
The ideal magic club would be one where the business is handled by the executive, outside the regular meeting time (i.e., during an executive meeting).
And that the regular meeting is mostly performances by members.
Unfortunately, that ideal is fairly rare (not that it never happens; just that it's rare.)
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Most magic clubs are basically what would be termed "fraternal organizations." They are groups of people who are united by an interest in a common art form. Some are professionals, some are amateurs. Some are historians, some are students. Some have had careers as magicians and are now retired.

The makeup of a magic club usually reflects the makeup of the community in which it is located.

The meetings may be concerned with a specific topic or they may simply be concerned with figuring out how to afford a place to meet.

A well-organized magic club may sponsor lectures, so that the membership can learn from travelling professionals who have chosen to share their knowledge.

But you should expect no more from a magic club than you are prepared to give, yourself.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
The club should be FUN for all. All members should feel a part of the club and this requires enough activities and discussions to go around.

Trying to drag those not interested into the business matters will turn them away every time.

Make it fun for all if you want all to come.

Tom Boleware
BWind
View Profile
Loyal user
Honolulu, Hawaii
262 Posts

Profile of BWind
Just the few posts so far on this topic are right on! I currently belong to a fabulous group of magicians, that emulate almost all of the traits of an "ideal" club; There is virtually no business discussed, magic begins the moment people arrive for the meetings; We started two years ago with 7 folks and have now grown to some 50 plus members, in fact we have started encouraging new folks to seek out membership in the local IBM & SAM chapters; What's the hook? Simple, generosity & sharing pays; Learn to initiate giving, what you give will enrich your life and come back to you many times over;
Aloha & God Bless,
BWind
Dawai
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu,Hawaii
131 Posts

Profile of Dawai
Peter and Tom
Thank you very much for that great information about what clubs should be doing.I guess we are going in the right direction
Dennis
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What do you expect from a Magic Club (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL