The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Which one is probably more entertaining (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
A. Silk and a tt routine done by a magician, who's has developed the routine over 100 shows.
B. Most expensive and popular kids trick ever done for the first time by the same magician, with canned patter right from the dvd.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
My silk and tt routine is one of my most prized effects.
I usally open with it.And it sets the stage for my acts following.
Todd
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
A

But you knew that.

It's pretty likely that the same Magician would not stick with the DVD patter for long though.

-Mary
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Depends ....
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2016, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:
A. Silk and a tt routine done by a magician, who's has developed the routine over 100 shows.
B. Most expensive and popular kids trick ever done for the first time by the same magician, with canned patter right from the dvd.

A: Without a doubt.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Kanawati
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
301 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
It could be B. Just because a magician develops his own routine over many shows doesn't mean it will be entertaining. Originality doesn't guarantee that the routine will be good. I (cough cough) may have experienced that once or twice. But to persist with a routine that's not quite working...that would be someone who either believed so hard that the routine had untapped potential and just needed developing and tweaking or we are talking about someone who just doesn't listen to the audience. But then again it could be A. Hard to imagine someone who is original and works on making a routine their own being less entertaining. But then again if it is the "same magician" who mixes original routines with popular/canned ones then I'd say if could be B...I'll go with it depends too..
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I'll bet your favorite color is plaid. LOL

-Mary
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
When I was a teen in the mid '40s, I spent $12.50 with Percy Abbott, (we pay the postage) for HIPPITY HOP RABBITS. (THAT was expensive in those days! I used them (they were the "big" trick in my show) until I joined the Navy, and had to pack my "repertoire" in a leather shaving case, the size of a cigar box. I used them when I left the Navy, and needed a few "big things" on the poster for flash, when playing schools on percentage. When I turned full time pro., I soon red lighted anything that big and heavy! I never used canned patter, though!

When my friend, J.B. Bobo showed me his silk and Vernet TT routine in '75, I worked out a routine, THAT fall. It was a quick flashy opener for the schools. I also put together the 20th C Silks Routine, and used, the Hull "Elusive" TT with a "decoy". Both routines play strong.

I lean toward "A"...Of course, plaid .....
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
I agree. First thing came to my mind is I'd have to see the magician perform both routines for me to decide which one he performed better. After all, it's not so much the routine, but how a magician performs it.

Quote:
On Nov 20, 2016, Kanawati wrote:
It could be B. Just because a magician develops his own routine over many shows doesn't mean it will be entertaining. Originality doesn't guarantee that the routine will be good. I (cough cough) may have experienced that once or twice. But to persist with a routine that's not quite working...that would be someone who either believed so hard that the routine had untapped potential and just needed developing and tweaking or we are talking about someone who just doesn't listen to the audience. But then again it could be A. Hard to imagine someone who is original and works on making a routine their own being less entertaining. But then again if it is the "same magician" who mixes original routines with popular/canned ones then I'd say if could be B...I'll go with it depends too..
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
If the magician is a good pro with a great deal of showmanship, then the answer could be either a or b.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Exactly TonyB2009. I think it's laughable that some based there decision on what little info presented. Most missed the fundamental part of being a performer and based their opinion on the tricks rather than the experience and professionalism of the magician.

That says a lot in itself.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
OK Danny and Tony! I yield to your opinions. You said it much better!
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
But how expensive is trick B???

If it's $5,000.00 then it's probably REALLY entertaining, right?

Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Magic is not inherently entertaining!

A trick, like music, only exists while it is being performed. One cannot BUY a TRICK!

One can buy a PROP, or a SECRET, with which to PERFORM a TRICK.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
I think it is fair to say that some tricks are inherently intriguing (not necessarily entertaining) to a layman as they represent skills a layman would like to have.

The Lyle Hat Tear is one because the skill of taking a piece of tissue and transforming it into something useful - a hat.

The Slydini Silks is another. Every layman has had trouble untying tangled knots.

Paper to banknotes is another.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
YES!
A few years ago, I would have been mad at you for mentioning Lyle's Hat!!! It's too good! (Not many do it, 'cuz it's "old stuff", and, it costs a dollar for the dealer made prop) Now, I don't mind your tipping that it's good. --I'm retired!!!

I think I started using it, in the early '50s. Even now, I always have a couple in the "bottom" of my prop case. I don't use it EVERY show, but, it's the "perfect pad" when I need an extra few minutes--especially in a school show.

My old friend, Gene Gordon, one of the founders of the IBM, and I had a great discussion/conversation about the 'hat' in the (old) "NEW TOPS" about 50+ years ago.

It meets my criteria! VISUAL EFFECT, VISIBLE PROP, VERSATILE EFFECT, ANGLE PROOF RECOGNIZABLE PROP, NO "BACKSTAGE SET UP", NO TABLE NEEDED, SPOT ADAPTABLE, PROP PACKS SMALL & LIGHT, AND, IT'S "PRETTY MUCH" WINDPROOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It plays funny! It's a "gift" for the audience assistant, and, it carries in your pocket.

Not many do it. I think that 'they' think it's too "old fashioned", and, also, the dealer made up prop costs a buck!

I've made my own since................!

The disappearing knot (from the "Discovery of Witchcraft" (500 years ago) has become known as the "Slydini Knots", since Tony developed a modern routine for it. I learned it in 1941 from an old circus side show magician. After he showed me, I knew HOW it was DONE, but, I couldn't DO it. (I was only 8). When I was 12, and joined the Boy Scouts, I learned more about knots. Of course, it took several YEARS to learn HOW to DO IT SO THAT IT ENTERTAINED AN AUDIENCE! (Slydini hadn't "arrived" yet!)

It's been a "feature" in the school show for over 50 years!

I assume that the "paper to bank notes" is the Pat Page bit. I don't use it, but, I agree, it's GREAT!

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Since we are digressing a bit, if add 4:49 of fun with audience giving props.

One caveat

If given a round table Do not pick it up and use it as a steering wheel
It led to great laughter
AND PAIN.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
A

The patter on the DVD usually sucks.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
It could be A or B, it depends, but more likely A. But the guy doing the expensive trick can make it great after a while if he has talent, he needs to start somewhere, then make it his own and figure out how best to perform it. It's OK to use fancy expensive props as long as it's not a crutch for lack of talent. And the guy with the thumbtip and silk may also have some expensive props that he uses all the time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Which one is probably more entertaining (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL