The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » "Working in" a new deck of cards (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Newsround
View Profile
New user
UK
82 Posts

Profile of Newsround
Been away from magic for a while. Just recently sparked my enthusiasm again, so got a couple of new decks of cards. The problem I'm having is, I'm finding them slipping and sliding all over the place. Is this just me because I've not played around with any for a while? Or do others experience issues with a brand new deck and it's just a case of getting them working?
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Sure, new decks are a little stiff, but I often break out a new deck in my restaurant work. I haven't had any problems shuffling or executing the necessary sleights. You just need to get a deck to reside in your hands on a more consistent basis.
My opinion of course.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Newsround -- This is exactly the kind of question that will make you appreciate the Magic Café's "advanced search" function. Just click the word "advanced" to the right of the search box at the top of each page. Then, type in a phrase like "breaking in a new deck" or "breaking in a fresh deck" and select the "exact phrase" option. Presto and abracadabra, you'll find lots of answers to your question!
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
Newsround
View Profile
New user
UK
82 Posts

Profile of Newsround
Thanks for the replies. I had tried a search, to no avail. I didn't think of using the advanced search. Just done that now, thanks for the advice
RichardIngram
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of RichardIngram
I agree about just handling cards more. I am not there yet, but David Williamson seems to open a new pack multiple times a show and he is flawless with those cards.
jljones83
View Profile
New user
LA, CA
90 Posts

Profile of jljones83
I prefer the cards brand new with very little break in. I tear off the side tabs on the box, trash the advertisement cards, put a VERY slight bend lengthwise so I can do a thumb count getready easier for a DT, and that's about it. I like the way new cards fan, spread, and faro better than 'worked in' cards.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » "Working in" a new deck of cards (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL