The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Victorian Bizarre (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dorian_faust
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, California
278 Posts

Profile of dorian_faust
Let's say that you had the chance to walk around Victorian London and you get to meet & chat with some of your idols from this period, what effects/stories would you perform for them? I am a worker at The Great Dickens Fair in San Francisco (think renaissance fair, but Victorian London themed, all indoors so it looks like you are there, and they have people portraying literary characters and famous people from the time walking around for anyone to interact with). I was talking to Robert Louis Stevenson the other day (as one does), I showed him a routine with ESPoe from the brilliant E. R. Perkins, and he started freaking out saying that I need to show this to Mr. Poe himself, which got me thinking of what I would show to the other historical figures. We have Poe, Stevenson, Oscar Wilde, Sheridan Le Fanu, H. G. Wells, and so on. What would you want to show them? Bonus points if they are things that could blend in with the time period you are in.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Well I have a museum full of things I could perform...
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1332 Posts

Profile of reese
Since it's just across the Bay, I think I will drop by.
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
You should perform Dickens' favourite effect, the Bonus Genius, which he performed himself when he was into his own conjuring phase.
http://www.deceptology.com/2012/05/secre......nus.html

BC
Phasmologist
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
PROF BC, that is fascinating. I have the little conductor (postman?) and never knew the name of the effect.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
dorian_faust
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, California
278 Posts

Profile of dorian_faust
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2016, PROF BC wrote:
You should perform Dickens' favourite effect, the Bonus Genius, which he performed himself when he was into his own conjuring phase.
http://www.deceptology.com/2012/05/secre......nus.html

BC

I remember hearing about the fact that Dickens dabbled in conjuring, and I have always found that fascinating. In the special re-release of The Dark Waltz by Michael J. Fraughton, there was also an effect based on Dickens and a friend of his that I might use. I will definitely wind up using an Imp Bottle for Stevenson (I HIGHLY recommend his short story The Bottle Imp) but I'm having a devil of a time coming up with something for Wilde. I'm also trying to avoid book tests.
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
If you can still find the book, I can warmly recommend Trevor Dawson's "Dickens: Conjurer, Mesmerist and Showman." It is a well-researched and (most excitingly) well-written (how rare!) book: A fun read wrapped around a fascinating subject. It was published in 2012, but I believe the print numbers were low and it sold out quickly (another testament to the quality of the book).

I can also warmly recommend that Charles Dickens needle effect that you mention seeing in Fraughton's re-released Dark Waltz. It is entitled "Mary Hogarth" and is one of my more prized underground effects. It plays very well in small groups as well as one-on-one. It is simple to set up, easy to carry, and for the working performer has the distinct advantages of ending completely clean and being almost immediately reset for another presentation.

For Wilde, I would think something to suggest the Dorian Gray story. It is culturally relevant and a very well-known tale. A visual card change, perhaps? Even a double-lift off of a Tarot deck that changes the Emperor into the Devil (or Fool) might be quick and easily put together?

BC
Phasmologist
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Victorian Bizarre (14 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL