The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Zippo Lighter Fluid Questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I just found a "tin" of ZIPPO lighter fluid. I need to know a few things about ZIPPO lighter fluid. (Designed for ZIPPO lighers).

Does it work well in a fire book.

How much do I need to add in my fire book. (Gonna light it twice during the show, one right after the other.

Will it be effective in a dovepan?

How much do I need in a dovepan to make it visibly pleasing, but not so much that a giant fireball will erupt from the pan.

If anyone can answer these questions I'd be very thankful, as I am a little bit new on effects w/ lighter fluid. Thanx!

-Jordini
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Planning to use lighter fluid in a dove pan is courting disaster... It will not burn properly, it will burn your bird's feet, and probably spill over (burning) the sides of the pan.
Use flash paper in modest quantity.
Slim Price
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I don't have a bird. I have a cake. I also tried it out and it was fine. Zippo works just as well as any.
Glenn Alloway
View Profile
Regular user
Edmonton AB Canada
103 Posts

Profile of Glenn Alloway
Lighter fluid is fun stuff to use in moderation. In any fire prop, use as much as you want until it starts to dribble. Then it is too much. Find just the right amount to saturate the wick.
"This is madness and yet there is method in it." ~Shakespeare
magic 12376
View Profile
Regular user
Wilkes-Barre Pa
116 Posts

Profile of magic 12376
I have posted the same thing elsewhere on this forum, but you don't just go spilling lighter fluid into the dove pan. Fold up a paper towel and put it in the bottom of the dove pan. Only use enough fluid to saturate the towel. You could also use the same type of wick used in fire books, and wallets. In more than 15 years I have never had fluid slosh out of the pan. As far as the birds feet go, after you put the lid on the pan and remove it feel the inside of the load pan it should only be warm at best. If it is actually HOT!, you most likely are letting the fire burn for some time. I hold mine in my hand while fire is burning, this way I can gauge how hot the metal is getting. Also keep in mind that once the load chamber is introduced to the hot pan the heat transfer is quick but not imediate. Produce the bird, let everyone see and get it out of the pan, onto your finger.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Yo do not need to “saturate” the SMALL piece of towel paper that you put in the dove pan. Anyone that uses lighter flued in the dove pan without it being on a small peace of paper towel, is courting disaster.

All lighter fluid is the same, only the containers are different.

Keep in mind that the lighter fluid you use for the fire book and fire wallet can eventually loosen the wick from it’s mooring. Be careful and aware of the kind of floor or carpet that the burning wick “could” drop onto.

Bob
magic 12376
View Profile
Regular user
Wilkes-Barre Pa
116 Posts

Profile of magic 12376
If you do not use the dove pan as an opening effect you should "saturate" the paper towel.If you do not it tends to evaporate and the fire produced by it will be no more impressive than a burning book of matches.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
What's wrong w/ just pouring in the lighter fluid? It worked perfectly for me.
Glenn Alloway
View Profile
Regular user
Edmonton AB Canada
103 Posts

Profile of Glenn Alloway
In response to Wellingtons reply:

In my experience all flaming wallets and books are manufactured poorly. All use standard adhesives to stick the wick onto the prop. The trouble is that lighter fluid breaks down almost any adhesive. As soon as I get a new prop I remove the wick and secure it with an epoxy glue. Epoxy is the only glue I have found so far that will withstand lighter fluid. This way there is no worry of a lit wallet dropping its wick.
"This is madness and yet there is method in it." ~Shakespeare
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I always hold my book at a slight tilt so that if the wick did come off it wouldn't go anywhere, and I could just close the book w/out trouble.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
What brand of epoxy?
wol
View Profile
Loyal user
Norfolk, UK
238 Posts

Profile of wol
I have found any brand of pva glue is fine. I did some reading afer having my wicks drop out and apparently pva actually hardens when introduced to fire, so if you cook it a bit first, it's OK and just an idea.

I have seen the results of just pouring lighter fluid into a container and lighting it. As anyone with a bit of experience will confirm, lighter fluid of the Zippo brand or similiar has an extremely low flash point, meaning it takes very little to ignite it.

A friend of mine used it to fire breath. He had a glass of zippo fluid and was wearing a tracksuit make of 100% synthetic material. At the end of his show one night, he was left with very little hair on his head. The flash from the fluid ignited, startled him and he tripped. You can guess the rest.

The point is, use it safely and sensibly and in amounts just enough to get the desired results. Don't have the fluid just poured in and use a wick. Here endeth the lesson. Sorry for the rambling on but I have had near misses playing with fire, the worst costing me a month off with mild pneumonia and for that I am grateful because it taught me new respect for fire.

I just hope to God you're not working on this effect for the kids shows. Smile
Keep passing the open windows!
CWMoss
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of CWMoss
Jordini asks why not just pour the fluid in. Short answer: if you drop the pan, it will spill and scatter, possibly onto drapes, carpet or upholstery. A piece of torch wick (www.jugglingstore.com) can be epoxyed (see previuos posts) and if the pan falls, disaster can be averted. Keep in mind, if there is a chance something can go wrong and you do it long enough, it will go wrong. The worst case scenario here is absolutely unacceptable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Zippo Lighter Fluid Questions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL