The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Overhand shuffle card control (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic-Turtle
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Magic-Turtle
Hey guys,

I'm working on my overhand shuffle card control right now and I often have trouble when it comes to make the bottom card move to the top of the deck ; I often end with two cards left in my right hand and it then gets difficult to only deal one at a time without it being noticeable. I was wondering, aside from practicing more, which I will do anyway, if there is some tips that could help me making sure I end with only the bottom card to deal on top of the deck.

Not sure my question is clear, if not tell me and I'll try to do better, hehe.
TJ Fritts
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of TJ Fritts
Hmmm, if two cards go to the top of the deck and the selected card is the second, you could do a quick AC, bury the indifferent card and have the chosen one rise to the top.

I have found that the key to getting just the final card is all in the grip. It's just a playing card so a light touch will work. If I start gripping it like it's a slimy eel, I get two or three cards. You just need enough grip on the card to hang on to it while the others come out. As I lose cards I slowly release my grip strength. It's kind of a knacky thing to practice loosening the grip as the packet decreases but it's something you can practice and master. Almost everything with card sleights is knacky in one way or another.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
821 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
I tend to tilt the deck more for single cards. The more friction on the top card will make it so only one comes off at a time.

Also the state of the deck will play with your results.
carlyle
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of carlyle
A slight thumb break above the bottom card makes it much easier to run it back on top.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2016, Andy Young wrote:
I tend to tilt the deck more for single cards. The more friction on the top card will make it so only one comes off at a time.

Also the state of the deck will play with your results.

What Andy said. Greater tilt of the deck increases ability to run single cards.

Hudson
Magic-Turtle
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Magic-Turtle
Thanks for the tips, It's true that the tilt is a lot of help. The rest will come from practicing I guess ; I'm ok-ish at doing it slow, but doing it at a normal pace without looking the deck is a lot tougher. My deck is worn off a little, so maybe I'll see improvement when I buy a new one, but I do not want to buy a new deck each time I practice a new thing, it would be expensive fast Smile
TJ Fritts
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of TJ Fritts
One thing I've already figured out: this stuff is going to run through cards. There are things to make a deck last longer, but it's not a "buy two decks and buy no more for the rest of the decade" deal, at least not for me.
Magic-Turtle
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Magic-Turtle
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2016, TJ Fritts wrote:
One thing I've already figured out: this stuff is going to run through cards. There are things to make a deck last longer, but it's not a "buy two decks and buy no more for the rest of the decade" deal, at least not for me.

Haha, I will be no exception for this rule, my last deck is 2 or 3 weeks old and it's already quite worn off... I practiced riffle shuffle and waterfall a lot lately, this didn't help making it last. I find it hard to know if it's the ''card fault'' or mine.. Probably it would be a good idea to always have a fresh deck to make the test...
TJ Fritts
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of TJ Fritts
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2016, Magic-Turtle wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2016, TJ Fritts wrote:

Haha, I will be no exception for this rule, my last deck is 2 or 3 weeks old and it's already quite worn off... I practiced riffle shuffle and waterfall a lot lately, this didn't help making it last. I find it hard to know if it's the ''card fault'' or mine.. Probably it would be a good idea to always have a fresh deck to make the test...

I keep one deck just for testing. When I've tested and discovered I'm not there yet, the deck goes back in the case and back into my wooden box with those little desiccant packs you get with allergy medicines.
ThSecret
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of ThSecret
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2016, Magic-Turtle wrote:
I'm working on my overhand shuffle card control right now and I often have trouble when it comes to make the bottom card move to the top of the deck

Maybe take note more of how you are shuffling the deck? I find the less you try the easier these things are. You can begin by shuffling chunks at a time, but the last 20-25% of the deck start taking less cards, and the last 5-10 cards you can do one or two at a time. At that point when there are only a few cards left in your hand I find it helps to take the left thumb (if pack is shuffles from your right hand to left hand) and just let the one card glide right off the pack with the thumb. Just lightly touch your thumb on the back of the card and sort of peel down, while lightly holding the pack with your right hand on a slight angle.
You may also want to check some youtube videos and see how others are performing it. Hope that helps!
"A play does not take place on stage but in the minds of the spectators."
SvenSigma
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
151 Posts

Profile of SvenSigma
I think regarding the method all has been said here (im my words: tilting the deck, light touch, age and quality of deck). Regarding practice I would add one thing: Run through a whole deck card by card at least four or five times a day.
It takes a baby in the belly six months to learn how to put the thumb in the mouth.

The rest of life is essentially the same problem.

RitalDino
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of RitalDino
This is not a solution per say, but might solve your problem if you encounter the problem in performance. Just deal the two cards so the important card is second. Show the top card's face saying that the selected card is not on top, then bury it in the deck. Then do the same with the bottom card. This is not in any way a method to control your card, but it will be a "proof" for your audience that the selected card as not been sleight of handed to the top
BlindWizard
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of BlindWizard
Run the hole deck one card at a time. Then shuffle normally. Then run five cards, shuffle normally, followed by running the last 5 cards. Do this all three times. This practice should help you train your grip and control. Good luck.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Overhand shuffle card control (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL