The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Blind Cane (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BlindWizard
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of BlindWizard
I am legally blind and use a cane. I don't like the run of the mill white blind cane. I currently use a bamboo cane I made with a PVC tip that can be replaced as the tapping wears it down.

I am wondering if there is a way to construct a blind cane that can disappear and reappear? It would need to be around 5feet.

Ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you all.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The only thing I can suggest is to make telescoping cane. Tenyo made one some years back in 3 sections, so you show an wand it changes into a cane. You can also make it vanish with some practice and cover, along with a ditch in the sleeve, jacket, etc.

I believe they already make an appearing cane for the blind. The aluminum ones that foldup. Maybe with some shorting of the sections, it could be made to a size that would work. The late great Russ Walsh made an appearing table along these lines, as well as an appearing Golf Club.

Hope this information will get your creative juices flowing.
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
The first thing that comes to mind is two canes.. an appearing cane and a disappearing cane. But 5 ft?

What comes to mind for 5 ft is appearing pole technology with a smaller diameter... white shower curtain cover with a red tip? Hard to disappear though.

Depending on the venue and angles could a fatty tape measure painted white work (somehow)? Pull it out to appear. Retract to disappear.

None of these would be practical as a real cane. Bill's suggestion is the only one I can see fitting that.
BlindWizard
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of BlindWizard
A man (I will have to look up his name) once had an appearing pool stick. The length and durability would be similar to a blind cane. It isn't a prop I would use in every day life. It wouldn't be practical. Just something for an act.
BlindWizard
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of BlindWizard
I wonder if I should make one to vanish and one that appears at the end as I end my act. Two different canes and two methods.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Bob Little sold some appearing canes that were 8 foot long, some years ago. They still may be available second hand if you can find who has them. They were the German model, spring steel, metal tip.

We have no idea of your craftsmanship in making props. I am sure if you think you can, then you can make anything you are capable of making.
BlindWizard
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of BlindWizard
I think I will try get an appearing cane that most magicians use in order to inspect it. With that understanding I perhaps can construct the cane or canes I am wanting.

The few ideas given here are very helpful. Thank you so much. The cane to a Wand and Wand to cane may be the first incarnation.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2017, BlindWizard wrote:
A man (I will have to look up his name) once had an appearing pool stick. The length and durability would be similar to a blind cane. It isn't a prop I would use in every day life. It wouldn't be practical. Just something for an act.

I have an appearing pool stick. I wouldn't recommend it because of the tapping. (Perhaps if the tip is modified.} Smile
Ihor
BlindWizard
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of BlindWizard
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2017, Ihop wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2017, BlindWizard wrote:

I have an appearing pool stick. I wouldn't recommend it because of the tapping. (Perhaps if the tip is modified.} Smile

No I was meaning if an appearing pool stick can be made so can a blind cane.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Blind Cane (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL