The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » AREA nano edition (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
From - http://tinyurl.com/hj2fxb7
Cost - varies, starts at £99
What is it - pocket book of stories, like you find in Waterstones in the UK, or Wallmart in the USA, from this company - http://www.runningpress.com/miniature-editions

Synopsis
I hadn't planned on any kind of gig at all last year. I'm still busy on writing a novella and a novel, and I still fall in and out of love with mentalism from time to time. Not being a full-time working pro gives me the chance to indulge on many levels, even though I take the performing of mentalism absolutely 100% seriously. So, around August time, I get a message left from two people who used to book me for their birthday and christmas events. They wanted me this year too. I turned down the birthday ones as they were too close and I felt I couldn't deliver what I wanted in time. But I took the christmas ones. The only thing I wanted to update was the book test. I have a few of my own, but they didn't suit the theme of the set. So I revamped one of my own, and though happy with it - it felt a little too busy, and again - the procedure didn't sit right within the rest of the (45 minute) set. I bought the twin set of AREA (as I had the original and loved it and used it extensively) from Looch before its official release as we are mates.

Please note - I bought my set, he was just kind enough to let me get my mitts on it early.

I am myopic, and it passed my own test, being able to be read with regular vision at a regular reading length/distance. The font is nice and clear. I still love the small and deviously natural set up of the nano book that lets you know a detail from a distance that lets you know a certain something. I can see that clearly from a good 15ft away. Ample enough for my needs.

What I would say is, if you want a book test just to pull out in a busy low-level lit bar for drunken fun times, do something else. This is for people who want to be entertainment and engaged. This is a professional tool, not a throw-away item.

The gigs were on the same weekend, one for a vaguely hipster middle-aged set of people, a little over 20 people. The other was for an even smaller gathering of 5 couples. Do I have to mention the bit about asking people to bring their spectacles with them, making sure if they are wearing glasses, that they may also need reading glasses? the basics...

During the second gig, I did have someone say "i think I've seen the bigger edition, was this from..aaah yes..." and I felt pleased with myself because I added a waterstones sticker/price on the back of it (half scrapped off, over the barcode)...

for me, I really appreciate the nano aspect, its inspectable if the person happens to suddenly want to take a quick flick through despite your management skills - it looks and feels just like those mini-books you see in WH Smiths, WAterstons and other shops (please note, if YOU personally haven't ever seen them, doesn't mean that they don't exist or aren't popular!)

this is a very useful and usable book test, its a tool above all else - they are to be treated casually and unimportant other than a sensible way to select an interesting word (insert your own meaning here, if you feel its not - then fine, and good for you!) - I have my own reasonings but have learned that some things aren't worth arguing over when posting here!

if you want a good quality, clean, straightline kind of tool - then I give this two thumbs up, if I had more thumbs, I'd raise more of them. I think you get a good spread of reveals, they are interesting and mainly very visually striking words, yet don't stand out from the rest of the page, nor the structure of the sentences.

my first set up was slight more fancy, them being more into unusual thinking and highly visual types...so brought along a couple of odd objects, one being a lovely vintage fortune telling stopwatch from the 30s...but my second was as minimal as I could go (even down to them having the time to go buy a pack of cards) - so I had the thrill of travelling very light indeed (apart from two unseen devices) - this was all I needed.

pendulum
billet pad
pencils
envelopes
book
supplied cards for cartomancy

for me, everything kinda fitted together nicely, I felt confident in it all, and am very pleased with my (early) purchase.

Smile Smile
I've asked to be banned
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
952 Posts

Profile of DrRob
The limited edition is in my shipping list Smile

Dr Rob
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Its well worth it... its just nice to travel light, and that they are seen as a natural object too...round my way, these kinds of mini books are in quite a few big name shops...

plus adding a sticker is always a good convincer isn't it...
I've asked to be banned
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
I'm planning on future proofing existing owners of AREA Nano (Original owners who purchase direct through www.readymymind.co.uk). If and when you wear out your copy and it becomes to look tatty and past its best I will offer a trade in where you send back the book and I'll replace it for a new shiny copy at a massive discount (TBD in the coming months)

That way you can use this as much as you want and not be concerned about wearing it out!
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
952 Posts

Profile of DrRob
That is brilliant and outstanding customer service looch, Im saving really hard to get the limited edition set before they run out.

Dr Rob.
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
325 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
Fantastic idea and service. Now I don't have to be so protective in my use of AREA Nano. That's probably the reason I only use the original so selectively.
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
The replacement program is what put me over the edge. My order is in Smile

-Eli
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
I am glad you like the 'Trade-in' service. I really want to focus on longevity when it comes to my products and releases and am trying to offer things that I wish had been offered me in the past. Smile
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
casco1
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of casco1
If just I could use it, I would buy it immediately. I really admire you work and the passion you put in it!
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Ordered the deluxe set. I look forward in receiving it here in New York. I really liked Area book test so I am sure I will really enjoy using Area nano edition as well.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
wchoo002
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of wchoo002
I'm till deciding whether to get this. Does anyone have a video of a performance? Can PM me? Thanks.
TheGingerWizard
View Profile
Special user
733 Posts

Profile of TheGingerWizard
I was (and still am) a big fan of the original AREA and bought a few of them as I knew they would eventually sell out. I was exited to see this latest release from Looch. I live in the UK and have seen tons of the miniature edition books all over the place, so much so that I was already using a regular mini book about paintings in one of my routines. I purchased the Nano two book set and it arrived a couple of days ago.

What is there to say? Well, it's the original AREA in a miniature form (With an extra effect in collaboration with Michael Murray which if I'm being honest I probably wont use but it's a nice touch).

It does what it says on the tin, literally ;-) and I'm looking forward to getting out and using it straight away. (There is no learning curve from the original which is a nice bonus for me) The production quality is great and I really like the design, more so than some other recent tests. It arrived in double quick time and the service from Looch was superb.

I really don't see what anyone would gain from a performance video. It's a book test. They choose a word hands off. You begin to reveal letters of the word as soon as you like and eventually reveal the whole word. On the sales page Looch has a video which shows you the books and he goes into more detail than he needed to about the test (These days with so much carefully worded ad copy I respect and admire this) Although his use of the term 'festive period' made me conjure up images that say more about the way my mind works than anything else!

If you like what you see in the video and you like the look of the books buy it, you will not be disappointed. If you want to see a performance of a book test there are loads out there Smile

I am really very with the books and can highly recommend them without hesitation (which, to be fair goes for all of Looch's work)

I hear 'The Article' is coming out in the not too distant future and I will have my ear to the ground for this one too!

Edited to add - I have only just seen the offer to future proof owners. This is fantastic idea! If people are on the fence about investing in this book test, this should make it even more tempting!

The only slight downside for me is that my favorite cover is the limited one. I wonder if the fact that they are sold in a pair at a discount could be the 'Limited' element and the cover could become available as a single in the future?
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Hi mate

Thanks for your honest review, I appreciate it!

To respond to your questions:

Future proof deal: This is valid for any owner of Nano who bought directly from myself via www.readmymind.co.uk - it isn't offered to those who bought via Alakazam Magic or the second hand market.
:
Alternate cover: The Future Proof deal will also include the variant cover if stock allows. Smile
TheGingerWizard
View Profile
Special user
733 Posts

Profile of TheGingerWizard
Sounds good!😃 Cheers
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
For those who are not on my mailing list, please find below a copy of the text from a mail out yesterday. You may wish to act fast as the offer is live for only a short period of time:

Here at Read My Mind Ltd, we are busy working on a range of exciting new projects that will be released in the near future. In order to facilitate those projects, more space is required. As a result we are having a massive 50% off sale on AREA 2.0 - Nano Edition Book Test.

This means:

The single edition is now only £39.50
The twin pack is now only £69.50

These ridiculously low prices are for a limited time only so act fast if you want to catch what some are calling the best book test ever created!

Smile
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Due to such a high number of people deleting their receipt emails that had the eBook attached, I had decided to host the eBook on the website. When you receive your book tests please head to: www.readmymind.co.uk/nano and follow the instructions to download a copy. Please note, you will need to have your AREA Nano to hand for the password.

Thanks
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Came today!
Nice to have a truly pocket sized book test. I missed the boat on the original AREA, so this is my first chance to check it out. Great stuff.

One very small thing that might be good to know, there are a couple words that are not commonly used in US English. No big deal, not a complaint, but worth mentioning I'd say.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » AREA nano edition (11 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL