The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kid Magic Ideas (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

K9_Magic
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of K9_Magic
Hi this is my first post and I'm wanting some help on deciding on some tricks for starting in kid shows. I have done walk around magic for a while and I'm wanting to go toward a younger audience. I have a change bag with mismade flag,sponge balls, thumb tip, a coloring book, and a thumb tip. Can I get some ideas on some good tricks for a younger audience? Thanks
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
Hi!! - 70 year Family Magic Pro/ - simi retired( or just tired) - glad to share - go to 'search' put in 'russo'(user name) then 'search'- a lot of effects & ideas- (plus a lot of personal comments- if you want to wade through them L-O-L) use any that would help - Please let me know(by p/m) if any help. Ralph(russo)Rousseau
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
It depends on how much stuff you want to lug around. Kids love big, colorful props, and they do give your show a higher perceived value. On the other hand, if you're a good entertainer, all you really would need are your change bag, sponge balls, thumb tip, coloring book, etc.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
"20th Century Silks" gets a great reaction.

"Beads of Prussia" is a fun one.

Pat Page's "Easy Money" or some other version.

Don't forget funny lines and gags that work for you. (Best I've seen lately is on on Dick Oslund's DVD. Leading a child up to help.) Most gags are short but they create a fun atmosphere. Warning, any gag or line you see is not ours to take. We should write them ourselves or get them from from a teaching DVD or joke lists on the web etc...

I used to do Troublewit which was a good one for me to develop a relationship with the Kids. It takes a little time to get from one thing to the other and you can't just ignore the Kids so you learn to talk to them and maintain control. I don't do it anymore but not because the bit wasn't working.

-Mary Mowder
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
K9!

First! I don't do, and, have never done a "kid" show. (When I was a teen in the late '40s, I did use Hippity Hop Rabbits, and, before that a Die Box, but, the rest of my tricks were done with generic props. For well over 50 years, I presented a show that would entertain almost anyone, almost anywhere. As the late Frances Marshall (co-owner with the late Jay Marshall, of Magic Inc.)would say, "You're eating off it!"

I just published, last year, a book ("Dick Oslund--Road Scholar"). It's the "story" of my life in magic for 70 years. It's "my" story, plus the story of the school assembly show business. (Jon Racherbaumer said to me: "No one has ever told the story of the Lyceum field. You're the "last" of the old, long time (50 years) Lyceum performers, Write a book!") I did.

In an average day, I might do a Primary School at 8:30 AM, a Senior High School at 11:00 AM, a K-6 or K-8 School at 1:00 PM, and, a Kindergarten through 12th grade School at 2:15 PM. Often I would do a Senior Citizen Assisted Living or Nursing Home in the evening. I also would get booked in both Boys and Girls Reform Schools, and Mentally or Physically Handicapped Schools.

The standard program length was 45 minutes. I could move in, and be ready to start the program in 5 minutes, or even less. I packed up and moved out in 2 minutes. The show props and prop case weighed about 22 lbs. I carried a waiter's "crosslegs" tray stand. I worked in a "sharp" blazer, black shirt, and black pants. Oh! I have worked for high schools with 2,000 kids. I've had Primary school groups of over 1200 kids. The "record" for small schools, was 7 youngsters in a Montana village.

I was booked "solid", and, the assembly bookers kept me busy, all over the USA, for 50 years. I didn't need to ask for a tour. They called me!

I wrote up most of the tricks and routines which I developed, in the book (prop lists and, scripts).

The book is available from Denny & Lees Magic in Baltimore, Magic Inc. in Chicago, and, Abbott's in Michigan. It sells for $50.00. + $5.00 postage/handling.

I have a DVD of several elementary school programs available at $20.00. + $5.00 postage & handling.

It has been reviewed favorably in MUM, May and June 2016, and, the January Linking Ring should be carrying a review.

Feel free to PM me, if you have any questions.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kid Magic Ideas (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL