The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Sheet Metal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Hello,
I was wondering what is the best gauge of sheet metal to use for a base?

Ray
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3043 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
What kind of a base? How big? What's it for?
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
A production base/table base. A base that I can place a box to make a person appear/vanish.

I haven't decided on the size, but it will be at the least 60 X 40

Also I am planing on building steps and will use sheet metal for the back.

Ray
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Magical:

When building props, my tendency is to overbuild and I thought of recommending 3/16" plate for your project. That's not good advice, though, because I have no idea what you're building and how loads will be applied.

Your best bet may be to take a set of blueprints (or even a neat, detailed sketch) to a local welding or machine shop, indicating anticipated loads ("140 lbs here," "hinges there," "that folds up," whatever) and ask them to bid the project for you. Go in person, since faxes and e-mails will likely be ignore in favour of more pressing demands. Ask the shop foreman/estimator to look at your plans and make recommendations.

Though the off-hand advice you receive will probably be free, offer to pay. You will enlist a useful ally by this gesture, and any cost will certainly be offset by liability insurance savings.

Sincerely,
Leland Edward Stone
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Are you going to use sheet metal or sheet aluminum? There are different tempers and guages (thickensses0>

I the idea of talking to the sheet metal shop is a good one. Make up a cardboard mockup first to make sure you have the sizes correct.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Clayton Cavaness
View Profile
New user
Arkansas
56 Posts

Profile of Clayton Cavaness
I have a smoke chamber with a 36" x 60" base. I used sheet metal for the bottom of the base. It is 22gauge.

I also covered the sheet metal after I had it cut to size with a black vinyl on what would be the inside. I screwed it to the base with screws every 2 inches. Then I covered the outside of the sheet metal(base bottom) with black felt.

It is very strong, very thin and has held up well.

Using "armor all" on the vinyl inside really helps you slide in/out
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Sheet Metal (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL