The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Mat Quest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I was at an IBM meeting. One of the guys took a mat out of his bag. It has a plush surface and a very thin rubber like backing. It was thin enough so that it could be rolled, or folded, into a relatively small package, and, had enough give to compress the surface to assist in coin pick up slights.
The mat was purchased in California at someone's booth. There is no label on it.
I have 2 Patrick mats, and while they are really great mats, the thick backing does not permit any give when lightly pushing down, nor will they compact enough to carry any way but flat.
I can't find anything on line fitting the description. Any leads?
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Do a "Google" search for "Automobile Headliner Fabric". This stuff is very pliable and can be had with a thin foam backing.

Just a thought.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Thanks Stanton. That pretty much looks like it. I'm going to try to find some locally so I can buy it in smaller amounts.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Maybe still too thick for you, but if you've got a Target nearby go check out these kitchen floor mats.
Only $20 and large enough to cut into 3 very nice size close-up mats.

http://www.target.com/p/comfort-kitchen-......21495974

jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Absolutely have a target near me. (Doesn't everybody?)
Whist brings to mind, Bed Bath & Borrow. Table mats.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I have a mat I bought at a local brick and mortar. No maker identity but it is perfect. It is a rectangular mat and made of neoprene (like a scuba suit). Fond 1 other but it is round http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S18402

I can ball mine up and carry it in my pocket, as soon as I open it and spread it out... Zero wrinkles.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2017, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I have a mat I bought at a local brick and mortar. No maker identity but it is perfect. It is a rectangular mat and made of neoprene (like a scuba suit). Fond 1 other but it is round http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S18402

I can ball mine up and carry it in my pocket, as soon as I open it and spread it out... Zero wrinkles.

Thank you. Just checked it out. That's the stuff! Can get a whole yard of it for a little over $10 on line. Penguin gets about $20 for a 30cm round piece. Going to order some tomorrow.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
When you get some let me know how it works out. Mine has a thin rubber bottom layer that I think is part of the material (the entire mat is no thicker than a US Quarter). I have had zero luck finding it in stock anywhere and that is what is stopping me from just ordering it online. I do not think it will be "as nice" as the one I bought 15" X 10" for $30 or $35. It is always packed in my "Magic Carry Bag".
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2017, Poof-Daddy wrote:
When you get some let me know how it works out. Mine has a thin rubber bottom layer that I think is part of the material (the entire mat is no thicker than a US Quarter). I have had zero luck finding it in stock anywhere and that is what is stopping me from just ordering it online. I do not think it will be "as nice" as the one I bought 15" X 10" for $30 or $35. It is always packed in my "Magic Carry Bag".

I can get a yard of it, 54" wide for about $10 + shipping. Your description of it sounds exactly what I'm looking for.
In you are familiar with translocation, I need that little bit of give to do the dirty work. I tried it out and it's perfect.
manreb
View Profile
Special user
666 Posts

Profile of manreb
Go to a comic store they sell mats that are used in magic the card game, $10.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Mat Quest (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL