The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Does anyone know where to get Sponge Core Rope or...? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
The only source I know of (Klamm magic) seems to have dried up. Anyone know a manufacturer or outlet?

Actually, if you personally handled it, I'm looking for rope that had the same fine weave and type of thread...the sponge core is not the thing I am looking for, but the feel and weave of the rope itself. Anyone here able to shed some light?

Thanks in advance for thinking about this.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
How about posting a close-up picture of what you are referring to.

You are looking for sponge core but that is not what your are interested in, makes it confusing.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Dave, I get what you are looking for.
Baronian (http://www.baroniantrading.com/) sells good quality rope at various thicknesses. Since I know you are based in LA, I should mention that he frequently has a table with samples and bundles to sell. otherwise, you could visit his website. If you want a rope with a fine surface texture, his stuff is pretty good. Another great source for kernmantle rope (what we magicians call rope) is Ton Onosaka in Japan.

You can make it even softer and finer by washing the rope (and while wet...) pull on the ends of the piece you are working with. This will slightly lengthen and narrow it. It will also cause the 'mantle' (the exterior sheath) to 'blend' into itself giving a smoother texture ... this is quite good for finger ring and rope tricks... I know, because I have done this myself.

Finally, I too was looking for the old Klamm rope (I think it was actually made in Scandinavia) to revive an old routine of mine.. and I gave up hope. Then out of the blue, Federico (who is here on the forum) offered me some sponge core rope! You may even have known him as he was in LA for years and has since moved back to Argentina! He just sent me about 25 feet! (he is a real nice guy and a serious student of the craft) It is not the same as Klamm's old rope, the texture is not nearly as smooth. So if you are looking for a very smooth surface texture... it probably wouldn't do. If sponge core is essential to our effect (it was in my case) then I am willing to share some with you.

Pm me if you want to discuss this further!

Regards-
JNeal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Thanks for the input.

Bill,
I specified Sponge Core because that was the only rope I have ever seen that had a synthetic fiber....nylon, maybe...and the looser weave that allowed me to do some specific alterations. The Sponge Core was the most prominent identifying feature, which is why I mentioned it. To ask the question of those who've never handled it, your suggestion is a good one and I'll see about doing that.

Johnathan,
Thanks for the lead. It looks like the most similar rope he has is a cotton fiber and that won't work...the rope needs to be more slippery and the nylon/rayon.polyester/whatever that the original sponge core rope was made of was much slicker.

And thank you for the offer to share. I may take you up on it if I can't find rope that will do what I need it to do.

BTW, I am in Orange County these days, which is why I rarely get up to the castle or LA-based magic events, but I hope we can touch base some time....I think it is reasonable to get together every few decades. Smile

Thanks guys.
dbaronian
View Profile
Regular user
Northridge, CA
199 Posts

Profile of dbaronian
Hi Dave,
I think you may be interested in the BTC3. It's cotton, but it's "mercerized" cotton. It has a slick feel to it.
BaronianTrading.com...your #1 source for magicians' rope.
pai
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of pai
I am selling red, green and yellow sponge core ropes. Each rope is 280 inches long and unused. My price is $30 for all 3 ropes and postage is $5.50. If interested please contact me at rpp_02131@yahoo.com.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Does anyone know where to get Sponge Core Rope or...? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL