The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Mismade that makes sense (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
Has anyone ever come up with a mismade flag routine that actually makes sense? I come back to this routine frequently and have yet to come up with a good presentation. I have my own handling of the props, just a weak presentation that keeps me from adding this to my act.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Christopher

Mike Bent wrote up a pretty good routine in Magic magazine maybe a year or two ago.

I wish I could narrow down the issue for you, but mine are packed away currently.

Best of luck

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I have always had mixed feeling about the MisMade Flag because it seemed unpatriotic to make a trick about the American flag a comedy routine--and a sucker effect at that. Changing red, white and blue handkerchiefs into a flag is a strong magical effect in itself. Making it a sucker effect is not necessarily an improvement.

For a school Flag Day presentation once, I did a straight change of the three silks to the flag--and then had a teacher assist me as we folded the flag into a triangle in the traditional way as explained here:
https://www.legion.org/flag/folding

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
If you're going to DO the MM Flag, at least do it the proper way! (Use a John Braun dye tube, NOT A STUPID RED VELVET BAG ON A STICK!) If you're "afraid" of loading the tube into the paper cylinder, set it up like Duke Stern's "DYE VERSION".

I used the MM Flag during the 1976 season, and, it played EXTREMELY WELL.

DON'T MAKE A SUCKER TRICK OUT OF IT!!!!!

Just "accidentally" drop the blue silk, and, don't notice it, until the kids point it out. Treat the completed correct flag with utmost respect. I think Sonny's idea of folding the flag properly (then putting it away, again, with respect, is a fine way to finish the presentation.

These days, with all the "nuts" around, we should be extra sure that we handle the flag properly.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
How about this as a different way of doing it that might make more sense and doesn't risk being seen as being disrespectful to the flag...

Start with the three coloured hankies ...red white and blue.... set out to create the American flag but discover they've blended themselves into the wrong red white and blue flag... like say, the Union flag of the UK. then on the next attempt you get the French Flag, and then again the Czech republic flag.... and finally the American flag.

Alternatively you could drop a hanky 'accidentally' and end up with a two colour flag like the red and blue flag of Liechtenstein,... realise your mistake... turn the flag back to the two coloured hankies... this time be sure to have the white hanky but accidentally drop one of the other colour hankies (say the blue) and again end up with the wrong flag... such as Japan, or Canada, or Denmark... You could still get the wrong flag when you finally use all 3 colours.... tTurning the UK's Union flag into the American flag might lend itself to some sort of logical through line or narrative for the magic as that would have been the flag that was replaced by the first version of the American flag.

I don't think it should be too hard to get any of these flags made from standard white silks. It could be the magic world's equivalent of, 'Sheldon Cooper's Fun With Flags"
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
As a finale, how about changing the American flag into a line of international flags of nations.

http://www.laflinmagicstore.com/product-p/ssfpj.htm
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Bill's suggestion of the line of flags of many nations is a great idea--especially for a school show where many of the students may have parents/grandparents who are descendants of immigrants. But maybe instead of changing the American Flag into many flags, start with the production of a line of small flags of many nations and then change _it_ into a large American flag--sort of playing on the metaphor of the U.S. being a Melting Pot. It feels more patriotic to me to have the American flag be the final production in any show presented in the U.S.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
If you leave out the second mis-made combination, you can declare that, according to tradition, the white signifies purity, and the red, courage. But the idea of our country would not be complete without the blue that signifies justice.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
My thought was for this Politically Correct actions and comments we are experiencing lately. Don't have to be accused of mishandling the flag, or taking up a lot of down time folding the flag. I thought the rule was to not let the flag hit the ground, not how it was folded. The flag was also to be burned when it reached it's end of life use.

As far as presentation goes, I was thinking along the lines of America works with and unites all countries in the World, and recognizes all citizens of other countries.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Bill wrote; "I was thinking along the lines of America works with and unites all countries in the World, and recognizes all citizens of other countries."

Well. it used to.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
One could have a selection of fake news articles describing proposed changes to the flag.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
packerly
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of packerly
This is the version of mis made flag two years ago for my fundraiser with blue star moms. .
I worked with Doug Bennett, Bob Fitch, Leland Faulkner on the script, rewrites and blocking. I built all the parts including the remote control flag drops, change tube and banners I‘m proud of the results.
Here’s the video of that night’s performance. http://www.vimeo.com/MakePhilAppear/oldglory
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Karrell Fox had a practical and entertaining mismade-type of effect using a traffic signal (red-yellow-green) instead of an American Flag.

Julie
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2021, packerly wrote:
I‘m proud of the results.

As you should be. That is strong routining.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Tommy Windsor did a mismade rainbow silk. I was a striped pattern and he would drop the one silk. I haven't made one in years so it is probably due for a rebirth.

BTW, I just did a Puerto Rico mismade flag for a customer.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Mismade that makes sense (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL