The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » RIP Bob Cassidy (69 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
R.I.P Bob Cassidy

Thank you, for everything...
"Your method is in my opinion the very best way to do Q&A"
Millard Longman

"Max has pushed some less known and seldom used principles a huge step forward"
Jan Forster

Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Arcane Grimoires Vol 2- http://www.maxhazy.com/Codex-Mentis/
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
This is a rather belated post, I have been off the grid, Mentalism wise for several years.

I came accross Bob Cassidy while liviing in the UK, his Mental Miracles DVD was the first metalism tools I bought.

Then I ordered ebooks via mail order with him; there were issues with delivery, he had a struggle at meeting his orders on time. However, when I called him from Coventry England, he made things right, even to the point of sending me more than a few ebooks to make up for the inconvenience.

I then came accross several of his booklets he wrote in the 70’s.

He was the first. Osterlind followed, then Lee Earle and Larry Becker. Between these men, I gained a grouunding in mentalism.

Based on what Cassidy taught, and what Osterland presented, Earle and Beckers technigues and Flashback, I soon learned how to gaff three different books into a rather decent book test.

Cassidys memory effect with the cards, from Mental Miracles worked a treat, to this day there are people who would swear thtat I actually memorized a full deck of cards in 30 seconds.

In 2012 I had the pleasure of meeting Bob in the Magic Castle. His act was flawless. He was kind enough to give me one of his blindfolds he was marketing; I asked him to autograph a billet for me; both the billet and the blindfold remain in the package.

He was a one of a kind man, who was very kind to a complete stranger.

I felt sad at his passing, he was a true gent, and one who was not shy about voicing his opinion, or giving encouragement to a mentalist wanna-be such as me.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
A suggestion was made in another thread that a compendium of Bob's advice here in the Café could be put together? If helped I'd be glad to honor Mr. Cassidy with such a project. I guess the way to begin would be to find all his posts and sort them into categories like performing, trick selection, character and so on. What better way to keep him alive than to pass on his advice. Like all legends your not really dead if they still talk about you. RIP Dr. Crow mentalism will not be the same without you.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Axel
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin
456 Posts

Profile of Axel
This would be a nice thing. And I think it would be worth it. Bob was in my opinion one of the best writers in mentalism. Funny and most of the time very precise and articulated.
But this will be a gigantic task. 12590 Posts. To sort them, categorize them and also remove all the double posts...
Also sometimes you might need the context in which a certain post was written to understand it...
It will take a lot of time... And end up in a book.
But I would be interested.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
You'd probably have to include at least the original post too... Don't forget you can search by user name on here as well as by category (at the same time)...
I've asked to be banned
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
Actually most of what he wrote can be found in his books.
John
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 23, 2018, Axel wrote:
This would be a nice thing. And I think it would be worth it. Bob was in my opinion one of the best writers in mentalism. Funny and most of the time very precise and articulated.
But this will be a gigantic task. 12590 Posts. To sort them, categorize them and also remove all the double posts...
Also sometimes you might need the context in which a certain post was written to understand it...
It will take a lot of time... And end up in a book.
But I would be interested.

If your offering to help I would appreciate it? I've only begun the search and this will be so laborious it could take years. What I'm thinking now is that each person could take a topic and make that their section. Then we pool it together in a cohesive fashion. I'm already doing effects so anything else is up for grabs. Anyone wanting to help can post in this section what topic they will choose so we don't have people duplicating work. At the end of the project workers will be asked how they want to present this to the community?

Axel
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin
456 Posts

Profile of Axel
I very much like the idea. But I honestly do have so much material from Bob that I could read over and over again, instead of categorizing his posts in the Café. Also I kind of like the idea that people who are willing to dig into the depths of the Café-archive will be rewarded by finding hiden gems of knowledge.
So I think I won't be part of the project. Sorry if it sounded differently a few days ago. But now that I thought about it for a while. At this point I don't have time for this kind of work.
But I wish you the best of luck if you're willing to do it!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
It's senor's idea, I was just making a suggestion to help...
I've asked to be banned
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 26, 2017, E.E. wrote:
I hope someone, someday (maybe two years from now) will make a book called "The 40th Step" as a compilation of Bob's best material...

I think this was the first suggestion of a compilation project? And while I would love to do this on my own It's just to labor intensive for me alone.

John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
I think each Individual if they are so inclined and motivated will search themselves. This way they will be more motivated to actually read the stuff they find.

Often, for me anyway, the journey (searching, asking questions, studying what I've found as I find it) gets me more information than if I just go buy a pdf or book.

Lead a horse to water kind of thing.

Give a man a fish you have a customer....teach a man to fish, you've created a competitor.

Whatever, just some ideas.
LondonN8
View Profile
Regular user
North London
124 Posts

Profile of LondonN8
Will always be missed never forgoten, (Bob Cassidy) the man who had the word menalist running through his blood, and in the memory of the thousands that watched his performances, and new the man. R.I.P Bob the legand Cassidy Smile Smile Smile
Ex-Army Very proud - Professional Award-Winning Magician Performing Magic & Mentalism Over 45 years, Tv Appearances & Cruise Ships (Magic Is a Wonderful Word)
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2017 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
If someone does orchestrate a collection of Bob's posts into a book, his family would expect to determine where royalties would go. Jheff, of Marketplace of the Mind, might have contact information for a Cassidy daughter.

George
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
We love you Bob.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Even though we have not had a heated debate in years Bob, I miss you already. You are truly a legend and will always be missed. Hope to see you again.

G Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » RIP Bob Cassidy (69 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL