The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Paddle move help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2004-08-02 15:19, Bill Palmer wrote:
Actually, we are discussing different performing situations here, as well. Minnesotachef is performing for his friends. In this case, rikbrooks is performing for his wife. In my case, I'm performing for an audience, so I would normally be going into another routine during the time that people would be asking to examine the props. Generally, prop scrutinization slows routines down, so the presentation loses its flow, and that's not usually a good thing.

There are a couple of ways to handle "spectator examination syndrome" or SDS. One is to let a spectator hold a prop for a few moments during some part of a routine. The inference here is that since they can hold it, it must be unprepared. This can be risky, but if you watch them closely, you can manage them without too much difficulty.

A second method is the switch-out. I believe in ending routines clean. So I generally will do a switch out whenever I have a chance. I don't do "hot rod" very often any more, but I do have the item, as well as a matching switch-out rod. I'll have a very subtle, tiny, almost unnoticeable mark on both rods, positioned in such a way that the spectator will see it, and it will not interfere with the workings of the routine. When I switch the rod out, I'll put it aside -- not directly into the spectator's hands -- and let it sit in view. They see the mark, so they assume it is the same rod. If they grab it, they learn nothing. I got the idea for the mark from Nate Leipzig's routine with the cap and pence.

The closest thing to "hot rod" that I currently use is a version of the color changing knives, based on Nick Niberco's knife transposition routine. In this routine, a stag handled knife and a pearl handled knife change places, while the spectator is holding the "pearl handled knife" under a handkerchief. At the end of the routine, I wind up with the pearl handled knife, and they have the stag handled knife. When they look at the knife in the handkerchief, I have all the time in the world to switch for the ungaffed knife. I let them hold both knives for a moment before I go into my next routine.

This is very strong, because the magic happens in their hands.

Bill,
You're giving away good stuff!!! Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Thanks! I only have a little, so I try to distribute it in little chunks from time to time.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Bill et al,

I say Bill first because he knows everything but I'm happy for input from anyone on this.

Okay, since we're discussing hot rods. Have any of you guys ever come up with a convincing force. I mean really the standard, 1,5,and 6 forces are as transparent as the older Kerry daughters dress as the Cannes film fest. I've been going through my junk drawer and playing with things that I like the idea of, but can't figure out how to work through some of the silliness in presentation. I like the hot rod (for some reason), but don't generally use it because the force is, frankly, idiotic. I'm pretty sure there's something obvious staring me in the face but the hell if I can see it.

Thanks for your help,

Mark
What would Wavy do?
MinnesotaChef
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis,MN
176 Posts

Profile of MinnesotaChef
While not always applicable I sometimes use eye, clothes, car, or other blatantly visible color to make the force. " Do any of these match your ----? Oh, here we go! We'll use this one." you can then rub the color off onto the rod. Or the numerical/ spelling force, but I think this might fall into the ridiculous catagory. I need the numbers for the way I do the routine. I've also seen a guy use a previously chosen card value to force the color. Just some suggestions from a fan of the Hot Rod.
"Great restaurants are, of course, nothing but brothels.There is no point in going into them if one intends to keep one's belt buckled."- Fredric Raphael
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Thanks,

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Quote:
On 2004-03-31 11:49, joeybaron wrote:
If the right hand is displaying the rod or gem stick palm up, which way does thumb move as hand is turned over to show other side? What are your preferences & why ?

The thumb and hand should rotate in exactly the same direction as you would normally move to show the other side of the stick. Forget about the move and just do it normally. Once you've done that a few times, repeat the natural motion while incorporating the move. As Dai Vernon said, "Be Natural".
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Quote:
On 2004-04-01 06:05, joeybaron wrote:
Thanks guys. While I'm at it, any suggestions for switching an examinable stick in at the end?

Try using a flipstick move. It's explanation is probably widely available, but you can see a really good use of it in Cultural Exchange (using pens).
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One really important point when doing things that use a paddle move is not to overdo it. I have seen people who have a flawless paddle move ruin a routine by showing both sides of everything too many times. The thing is not a fan. It's a paddle, or a stick, or a knife.

The most convincing color changing knife routine I saw early on was done by a total amateur. But he was an amateur with an innate understanding for that trick. He only did a couple of tricks, but he did them very well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Lauren Benson
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Lauren Benson
I see Joe Porper has some paddle sticks with a lot of bells and whistles. One even had a shell that was removed to end clean. I think it was the kind that you put a toothpick in. Anyone use these in the real world? I am curious if they are more baffling to the spectator, or if they reek more of gimmickery.
God Bless,
Lauren
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I don't think they "reek of gimmickry" as they are so cleanly made. Joe fooled me with most of them... badly...
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I have a decent force that I sometimes use. I ask them to choose a number. If they choose 3 or 4 then I'm golden, I just do the routine. Most times that's what they choose. If they choose, say, six - I flip the paddle six times and on the sixth it's all ...ummm... RED.

Then I put the thing away quick.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
All of Joe Porper's paddles are very well made. Some of them appeal to me more than others. I really like his Jumping Peg paddle -- not the jumping peg stick, but the paddle. The stick is fine -- don't get me wrong, but the paddle is considerably different. I have an earlier version of it that he made of wood, which is also way cool.

His cash paddle is pretty much standard but it is very high quality.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
I've not seen them all, but earlier, Eddy Taytelbaum from Holland did the real stuff re paddles.. Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
McGroo
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of McGroo
Another thing I've noticed is you don't have to make the turn-over move with any movement in the arm. I tend to just flick my wrist and make the area which I turn-over the paddle quite small.

I also go from side-to-side instead of holding it down and then up. This to me seems more natural and realistic.

Olly
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Paddle move help (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL