The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Christian Cagigal’s Obscura (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

balzar
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of balzar
As I posted in the Canadian forum of the site, I had the pleasure of attending Christian Cagigal’s Obscura last night at Montreals Mainline Theatre. His performance was a dark, humorous and enchanting amalgam of magic and storytelling. He worked primarily with cards, with a camera and screen projecting the performance for added effect and, it should be noted, an enhanced degree of scrutiny. He did renditions of both The Witch of Glastonbury and Till Death do us Part, all part of a thoroughly enjoyable performance. For anyone with a taste for wit, sardonic humour, and magic performed on an intimate scale, I recommend it highly.
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
877 Posts

Profile of lin
I was lucky enough to see it a few years ago. Exactly as you say: thoroughly enjoyable and highly recommended.
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1815 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
According to a conversation I had with Christian a couple of years back, the handling of the witch type effect, is not Witch of Glastonbury. The method/handling is different and the cards too. Maybe he can confirm if this is still the case.
Terrormaster
View Profile
Regular user
New England
139 Posts

Profile of Terrormaster
I've been meaning to see the show. I've been hoping for him to stop through Connecticut but so far the closest has been NY. The most of his shows I've seen has been what he's published on his YT channels (the JCC Cubical Concert being one of my faves which I understand is an abbreviated version of Obscura).
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
I'm seeing Obscura later tonight in NYC... for the second time. I saw it a few years ago.
Wonderfully inspirational intimate magic performed by a true gentleman of mystery.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2017, Brynmore14 wrote:
According to a conversation I had with Christian a couple of years back, the handling of the witch type effect, is not Witch of Glastonbury. The method/handling is different and the cards too. Maybe he can confirm if this is still the case.

Correct. The version he does is based off of Paul Wilson's "Gypsy Curse" albeit with different patter and a coin vanish that nicely ties into the story. I'm assuming you're referring to his "The Gambler and the Stranger" routine?
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1815 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Spot on Sudo.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Smile

Christian's version is great, and that added coin vanish is a nice touch. I just watched Christian's version again and noticed something odd: he has adapted Paul Wilson's story but kept the original handling of "Colour Monte." Odd choice, as Paul substitutes the standard hoary old "Christ Alignnment Move" for the "Tres Ariba" display - a much more efficient and natural display.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
If you've seen Obscura a few years ago, you owe it to yourself to go see it again.
There's a kicker that he added to the end of the show that is worth the price of admission.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Christian Cagigal’s Obscura (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL