The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Stop The Press by Martin Lewis (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
Martin, I sent you a PM as well.

Thanks Smile
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
If I put this into my main set - I could be doing it 8+ times a week

So... after the initial buy - if it's a worker - would it not be an idea to sell bigger packs [?] for those who work multiple stage shows a week [?]

As buying packs of 12 - seems to suggest this is for the hobbist [?] or only good for certain one off shows [?]

Just a suggestion - I am sure I could just buy 4 packets at once... and it's the same as a refill of 50... just seems a small number for refills
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2017, Magikraft wrote:
Hello all,

Let me try to address a couple of queries that have arisen in this thread. First, should I sell the item at a higher price and then offer refill packages at a lower one?

It doesn't seem fair to do that, a hank of magicians rope, a snowstorm, mouth coils, and many other effects, may or may not come with instructions, but no one buys any of these things expecting lower priced refills.

STOP the PRESS is the same, it's a prop - bringing it to market at the lowest possible cost is my main concern. As it turns out it's less than $2 a performance and that, to my mind, is quite reasonable.

Secondly arises the question of should I make the instructions public? Well, I have not. If you don't own the effect you have to go through me to get a link, but it doesn't cost anything, why should it, you can't do the trick without the prop. Not to mention that so far only two people have requested the link.

Finally a few folks have said they don't like effects that require refills. I understand and in this case you don't have to, just use a different method. For example the Koran method is impromptu and is described in "Koran's Legacy" by Hugh Miller, it's the one that inspired my version. It's not as clean or easy as STOP the PRESS but it worked well for Koran.

I hope that clears things up a bit,
Martin

Thank you for your candid responses. I really like this, and I'm thinking that maybe I could just spread out my investment over a longer period by incorporating a bit of a switch on some occasions and perhaps just performing it as per the instructions on other occasions.

kj
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1223 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2017, The Duster wrote:
If I put this into my main set - I could be doing it 8+ times a week

So... after the initial buy - if it's a worker - would it not be an idea to sell bigger packs [?] for those who work multiple stage shows a week [?]

As buying packs of 12 - seems to suggest this is for the hobbist [?] or only good for certain one off shows [?]

Just a suggestion - I am sure I could just buy 4 packets at once... and it's the same as a refill of 50... just seems a small number for refills

That would make more sense if you could buy a bulk refill pack. I know Murray Hatfield still does that with Headline. Refills are available directly from him, 50 refills for $30 or 200 for $80.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I'm glad you guys like this. I'm getting ready to perform this again soon and I have some new things I'll be adding in. I can't wait!

Good magic to all,

Eric
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2017, ash2arani wrote:
Martin, I sent you a PM as well.

Thanks Smile

I did as well - maybe there's a better contact [?] - if someone's box is full does the site tell you it's not delievered [?]
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2017, The great Gumbini wrote:
I'm glad you guys like this. I'm getting ready to perform this again soon and I have some new things I'll be adding in. I can't wait!

Good magic to all,

Eric

What are you going to be adding in?
kj
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
This does look very good

I just wish there was a bundle price for 100 sheets - as 12 performances is too few

But I do have two questions

1. How can you live in the USA for so long and not pick up any change in your accent?

2. In headline the last line has "get's" - are you sure that the ' is correctly used [?] - that's in your prediction envelope - so is it written like that on the actual sheet [?] - and if it is - are these tabloids [like The Guardian] known for having gramatical errors

Neither your accent staying the same, or point 2, take away from this being a really nice effect

The only thing 'stopping the press' buy button, from my end, is it being £20 for 12 performances

I'm sure I will weaken and hit buy soon anyway

Anyway a review of the effect [not having it but having seen it] is I like it a lot
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Duster, gets has no apostrophe on the actual sheets you receive.
Martin is probably wise not to lose the accent, it fits him well.
My guess is that if the product sells well then sometime in the future this may be offered in large economy bundles (only a guess.)
In the meantime, it is probably a good idea for you to buy a dozen and see how it plays for you before investing in a large amount.

IMO, this effect is very good but not great. It's not a mind-blower IMO and really depends more on how entertaining you can make it. But that's true with many effects and doesn't mean they can't be a very worthwhile addition to your show.
I do think it's worth every penny for what you get. They look great and Martin did a superb job producing these.
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
With a routine like this, patter and presentation is everything (as with most effects I guess) but to have a nice flow etc would require you to practise a few times (again as with everything) the problem is when practising you are using a gimmick everythime. Which you will need to buy another set shortly after your practices etc. May have been idea to produce some mock up practices sheets (same size and layout of the gimmick but not produced on the actual news paper print, just as cheap copies to practise).
Or if there is a way to maybe photocopy in some way on thin gsm paper the gimmick so you can practise regularly trying different patter, motions, handling etc without using the gimmicks for practice?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2017, PRINCE wrote:
With a routine like this, patter and presentation is everything (as with most effects I guess) but to have a nice flow etc would require you to practise a few times (again as with everything) the problem is when practising you are using a gimmick everythime. Which you will need to buy another set shortly after your practices etc. May have been idea to produce some mock up practices sheets (same size and layout of the gimmick but not produced on the actual news paper print, just as cheap copies to practise).
Or if there is a way to maybe photocopy in some way on thin gsm paper the gimmick so you can practise regularly trying different patter, motions, handling etc without using the gimmicks for practice?

For practice, just grab a page from the paper and a Sharpie write in the head lines or just raw Xs where they should appear (it will take about 1 minute to do this if you write them in, 10 seconds if you use the Xs).
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Tony that is what I did. After two runs I was ready. I will perform this again on Monday and I will let you know how it goes. So far I'm very happy with the reactions. I can not overstate how vital it is to give the tabloid away at the end of your performance if you can afford to. It simply adds to the fact(?) that the tabloid is just that...a tabloid. My little touch is afterwards I will take a story from the tabloids and if the situation arrises I will produce something from the paper. Example: Sheen loses Oscar. Then I would produce a mini Oscar and say something like "Here it is.". Then hand the paper out. Something along thoses lines. As with all my touches if you like it please feel free to use it.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

As far as accents go I was raised in Brooklyn for a number of years and came out to California again in 1969 yet I still have been told you can still hear my Brooklyn accent. Anyone who knows Martin knows this about him...what you see is what you get. He talks on stage like he talks face to face with you. Of course if you ask him he would probably say he does not have an accent we do!

Good magic to all,

Eric
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2017, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2017, PRINCE wrote:

For practice, just grab a page from the paper and a Sharpie write in the head lines or just raw Xs where they should appear (it will take about 1 minute to do this if you write them in, 10 seconds if you use the Xs).

Great idea! One of those D'oh moments and a slap to the forehead as you think "why didn't I think if that"
Thanks Tony
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Hi, If I buy the martin lewis stop the press Do I have to keep buying duplicate papers / refill. or is it possible to make my own,
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
Wally,
You will need to buy refills. This is not something you can make yourself.

Nevertheless, I can attest that this is fantastic and an ideal parlor/stage effect (packs small- plays big and is topical).
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
I would have bought this, But I don't want to keep buying refills, Got enough to payout using rope and mouth coils,,,,,,,
Magikraft
View Profile
V.I.P.
58 Posts

Profile of Magikraft
Hello Wally,

I understand. There are versions that can be done with regular newspapers. Headline Countdown from the Koran's Legacy book by Hugh Miller would be one I recommend. It's not as easy or as clean but you can sometimes get out of date newspapers for free from your local drugstore if you ask nicely.

Hope that helps some,
Martin
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Hi everyone just to let you know Martin Lewis has the new headliner (refills) in and you can find them on his site as listed above. Now you can perform this back to back with a different prediction. And yes made as good as the first headliners!

Good magic to all,

Eric
mpilkey
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of mpilkey
How am I just now finding out about this? I’m always late to the game. For parlor, I can see this going over really well. Has anyone tried using it in conjunction with TRU test by kranzo? I can’t wait to get my hands on it and give it a try
SIRIously Mental available from me directly

Mike@chattanoogamagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Stop The Press by Martin Lewis (23 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL