The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Toddlers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

xxxRoyxxx
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of xxxRoyxxx
Hello everyone!,
I am in a bit of a bind... I recently began working with a party planning business, who has hired me to do a show this weekend, only I recently found out that I will be performing for a 3-5yr age group! I always make it a point to find out the age group way ahead of time, in case adjustments need to be made, but it got away from me this time! I usually perform great with 5 and up but the 3-4 kids scare me! How does one go about presenting magic for these kids, toddlers???? I've read in other posts that "slapstick" effects are best for this group. Can someone define "slapstick"? Can anyone help?
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I had a similiar offer just two days ago. A daycare wanted me to do a half hour show for ages 2-4. I took a day to think about it. Some thoughts I had were Sponge Balls, a simple production of my bunny, Dove Pan Cookies, and maybe Peanut Butter and Jelly Illusion. I thought of Spring Snakes too, but then thought that 2-4 year olds might cry if I scared them with the snake jumping out.

In the end, I respectfully declined it. I didn't think I could do it and I didn't want to take the chance. 5 is my minimum. But since you seem to not have a choice at this point, I would keep these three words in mind: simple, silly, colorful.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
The 3 to 5 age group is the absolute minimum that you can probably do any sort of magic for.
Keep the individual tricks and show short (half an hour for the show is plenty long enough for that age group; their attention spans won't take much longer.)
Tricks should be short, as I said, colorful and flashy, and to the point -- this is no place for long and involved plots.
Involve the kids if they want to get involved (some may not, being afraid of the magician; don't push the issue.).
Sammy Smsith has built a career out of performing for pre-schoolers, so it can be done -- it just takes some thought and work.
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
I have performed in daycares many times.
It is where I started.

Some ideas...

Water from elbow, then put it a cup for later.
Sponge bunnies...
Magic Coloring book with changing colour silk
Water On Head in newspaper

Bunny production is great!
Dove pan cookies also...

There are lots of songs that kids know that can be added to effects...

Theme it so it is fun and multisensory.
The pace may be a bit different, in that sometimes they are not astonished by the magic. (Of course it was invisible and then appeared and changed colour and fell apart and reassembled and floated away... it is magic!)

Have fun.

Cheers - El Lamo

I have a template for a 3 X 3 grid.
The children choose one of 4 places to start.
Then they walk so many steps.
Spots on the grid are removed until they are forced to the last spot.

I theme it different ways... Harry Potter, Scooby Doo, the zoo, outer space.

It works because it has action and movement!
The kids love to do it and often want to do it more then once.

If you pm me, I will send you the explanation.

Cheers - El Lamo
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
xxxRoyxxx
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of xxxRoyxxx
Thank you everyone; El Lamo, thanks for your offer but I just need to find ways/ideas to change and use what I have...
Simple. So, if I do a routine where a silk magically travels from one place to another (ie.change bag) would I simply say, "okay kids, my red handkerchief is going to disappear and reappear here!" I usually do an extended routine where the silk never really goes anywhere and in the end it does. So, to understand simple, do you mean like I explained above???
Also, I do a manipulation sequence with doves, cards and balls, all done to music. Would this work well???
Finally, how well do sucker effects work?
thank you all very much for the help you've already given. I'm kind of freaking out right now; it probably won't be too bad... Any other suggestions???
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2004-04-02 13:30, Roy wrote:
So, if I do a routine where a silk magically travels from one place to another (ie.change bag) would I simply say, "okay kids, my red handkerchief is going to disappear and reappear here!" I usually do an extended routine where the silk never really goes anywhere and in the end it does. So, to understand simple, do you mean like I explained above???

It is perfectly fine to do a bit in your show for preschooler-aged children, that is "magician-in-trouble-syndrome" (with a tip of the hat to David Ginn and Sammy Smith). "Magician-in-trouble-syndrome" is when a trick fails to work for you, for example.

By the way, I also do a snake can bit in my preschool-aged show. I let myself be scared and surprised, and it reduces the scare to the children. They think that it is funny that you are scared, and forget about themselves being scared. It gets a good laugh. (Again, all this has been learned by studying David Ginn and Sammy Smith through their writings. They know their stuff!).

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I did a show in my kids pre-school class last week (My first show with this age group). They were timid at first but warmed up with my first routine. After they got warmed up, they even became willing volunteers.
I warmed them up with a blooming bouquet(my first show with this prop). They really loved this. They were screaming and laughing like crazy when they could see the blooms and I couldn't. Otherwise I did routines from my regular show like:
sponge balls,
vanishing hanky,
We made wands as a craft (This is not my regular show),
cups & balls,
change bag with rabbit story (ending with THE END silk)

I didn't have time to try out my new coloring book. I suspect that it would make a great routine to warm up the kids as well.

The whole program took about an hour including the wand craft. The kids used the wands to make the magic happen in the last two routines.

You should probably do your regular show. Just make an effort to get them warmed up early so they will enjoy any sudden surprises, instead of crying.

Good Luck,

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
davejesc
View Profile
New user
David Juraschek
83 Posts

Profile of davejesc
Youngest group I've gone for is 4 yr old.

I use David Ginn's bit top hat routine which has a kid helping me to pull a rabbit out of the hat. Kids love it when the rubber chicken comes out.

I tried using a magic book that burst into flames too (in the same routine). It worked, but in retrospect, I don't think I'll do anything with flames for kids anymore.

A few minutes with Roxy or some other puppet goes well too - especially if the puppet is an intermediary in the dialog between you and the kids.

-Dave
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Dave -

I agree. Fire in a show for preschoolers is a bad idea. Often, they are scared at the sight of it!

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
For birthday parties I start at 4 years and upwards, but I often do Pre-Schools where the kids are 3-4yrs. I do my normal 1-Hour fun filled magic show, the only diference is I use a gentler approach at the start until they get used to me. This doesn't take long as I talk to the kids while I'm setting up, or if their busy doing something else at that time, but keep looking over, I'll do something silly to make them smile. By the time they get to me I have no problem.

You don't need to dumb down your act, make them laugh (breakaway wand is a must), exagerate your facial expressions, and basically have fun, if your having fun, they'll follow your lead. As for Fire, not a good idea you could end up with a different reaction than you antisipated, they're taught fire is dangerous and may throw a double 6. (Freak out to those across the pond)
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
3-5 will be a blast. One of the things about the 3yo's is they are fine when mixed in with a few older kids. On their own they're a harder crowd to break, mixed in with the other kids they follow their lead and they're fine. I've done 2-3 yr olds on there own and the only difference is I start slowly and as soon as they are giggling I fire on as normal with a few changes to make things simpler.

Here's a weird one for you.. I had a call recently from someone asking for a 1 year olds birthday, I mentioned that although I could entertain the other kids the birthday girl would be a bit young to under stand what is going on. The mother stated that she wanted to hire me because her daughter (1yo bday girl) enjoyed the show so much the last time.
"When was that?"
"6 months ago"

Hmmm
George
xxxRoyxxx
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of xxxRoyxxx
I just want to thank everyone who gave input here... The show was a success, I did some minor modifications and the kids reacted well (most of them). Others had no idea what was going on but still enjoyed someone acting funny in front of them. I still feel I am not cut out for such an age group!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Toddlers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL