The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » CSB: 3 Strange Things... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
I've been fiddling with ideas for Copper Silver Brass. Here is a work in progress and I welcome any suggestions/critiques.

https://youtu.be/Lhy2fKQToLI
kenedho
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of kenedho
It's good. I'm not sure about the last vanish and purse dump out.. Feels like you ended at a low, less magical tone.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I like CSB coins , and I like this routine because it is different to the regular routine that most everybody does. Very nice
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Good idea, but it's kind of confusing to watch, at least for me. Crossing the left hand over to the purse can be suspicious. I feel if you get more distance with the hands, it might be clearer.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I enjoyed the presentation as it wasn't challenging the audience like some however I would limit the fake dump out of the purse to just once personally but hey good job Smile
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Thanks Ken. I agree about the ending. I was playing with a new idea last night that I think is far better.

I'll probably re-film it.
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
It looks nice! That first change looks really good.
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
I liked most of it as well, and agree with mystre71 that the first vanish is best. My only negative-ish comments are: it looked a little 'stilted', or um... not smooth in some of your movements, and that the guitars in the background kept distracting me, particularly that sweet acoustic with the cut-away Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I mean this to be positive advice to support your efforts but it will sound negative.

I question whether the amount of overhead in this routine is balanced against the astonishment produced?

The observer may or may not catch the subtleties of the changes or transpositions because of the closeness of your hands to each other and the repeated use of the purse.

What will a spectator remember? What story will they tell? I am afraid it may not be about magic.

So, how might you engage the audience more and the props less? You have some good moves and ideas upon which to build.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Thank You for your insight Funsway.

Just want to clarify:
As far as the amount of overhead, there's not much "work" required for the magic happening.

The first change is by far the most visual and dare I say astonishing.

The second phase has a little fun with the "magician in trouble" idea while magic is still happening, just not the way Im trying to make it happen. Still not a lot of "work" to accomplish the effect.

The last phase is by far the weakest and least magical. I have come up with a new solution for the conclusion.

I guess what Im asking is do you think the effect is clear? You mentioned repeatd use of the purse, but that is the destination of the coin so Im not clear on what you mean.

Second, you mentioned "What will the spectator remember? I am afraid it may not be about the magic"

What is not magical here?

Thank you for taking the time to not only watch, but have such a specific response.

Rick
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
There is a difference between "appearing magical" and creating a long-term memory of "so that is what magic would look like if real." Entirely subjective, of course.

For me, "wow, that was next," or "sure fooled me" does not qualify as powerful magic. Just being astonishing is not enough. There must be no other explanation except "must be magic."

I guess I just feel the routine is too busy for an audience that may never have seen magic live before.

I like some of what you are doing here, but I am familiar with CSB, coins in general and even purses. What about those who have never seen any of these before?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
It seems you may not be giving your audience enough credit.

People Ive shown this to have seen coins and a purse. And they've been stunned by the transpositions.

I havent had anyone been confused by what they saw either. Maybe it just plays better in person.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
I really liked the magician in trouble bits, and the overall differences from the typical routine. More of powers-gone-wrong than the usual challenges.

My biggest criticism, I think, is to watch the coin sounds. I often heard things clinking on the purse, but at the wrong times The mechanis of dumping also felt very strange to me a number of times. For example with the silver coin, you dump it out, put the coin back *in* the purse, switch hands, then take it out again while closing the purse. It feels unnatural to me,, especially when compared to the first time with the copper coin. In fact, I don't think you handled the purse the same way twice.

That said, I was very much entertained. Smile

Slightly related: that's a very pretty set. Who's the manufacturer? I don't recognize the Chinese coin, but I think it looks nicer than the usual ones.
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Thanks TOQ. That is more of an informative criticism. It's not helpful when other people speak in platitudes.

Those coins aren't an actual CSB set. Think Geoff Latta's approach. And the chinese coin is one I got in a magic set when I was 13. I like that it's all brass and not colored.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I think he whole problem from a spectator's pint of view is the cramped hands and not so open handling of the purse. It looks like at no time you have either of your hands empty so you can pick up the purse as most people wood, namely by the sides at the rivet junction or at the top clasp. I also agree you keep your hands to close together. It is more of a staging observance then your moves and concealments.

As in you say I will make he silver coin travel to the purse, but you do not indicate which is the silver coin clearly. You just assume they can see it and know which coin you are talking about.

All I can say you do not have the handling down yet with your movements and patter.

As far as your patter, you do not sound comfident, but confused and not sure of what you are trying to get across to the audience.

Maybe it will come together if you rehearse it more, I am not saying practice, because you have the moves.

Thanks for letting us peek in.
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Well...

All points I will genuinely take into consideration, but I think some angles are being missed by a few, like the magician in trouble ploy. But, that just means I need to make it more clear.

And Ive come up with a stronger ending so as not to over use the purse.

Thanks again for taking the time to watch and comment.

Rick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » CSB: 3 Strange Things... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL