The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Help with crediting Charles Jordan's A Shuffle Secret (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ross
View Profile
Elite user
Bristol
479 Posts

Profile of Ross
Hi all,

I am looking for some help with crediting Charles Jordan's "A Shuffle Secret". I understand that it was put out in the 1930s and subsequently republished in 'Charles Jordan's Best Card Tricks' by Karl Fulves (Dover Magic, 2000). Can anyone add to this e.g. provide details of the original 1930s publication?

Any pointers most appreciated.

Ross
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
638 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Hi Ross, I don't have the original publication, but I have the Dover book. Page 114 "90. A Shuffle Secret". What else do you need?
Ross
View Profile
Elite user
Bristol
479 Posts

Profile of Ross
Hi marc_carrion,

Thanks. I was wondering if anyone had any details about where it was originally published. Subsequent research has informed me that the concept was included in Charles Jordan's 30 Card Mysteries published in 1919. I think that'll do but if anyone knows of an earlier reference I'll use it.

Cheers,

Ross
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
638 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
The chapter in the Karl Fulves book is called Shuffle Systems, and it states "Although the basic premise was published earlier in the century by C. O. Williams, Jordan's writings are considered the outstanding treatment of the subject".

Then it explains the "A shuffle secret" by introducing it as : "The basic secret discovered by Jordan can be illustrated with a simple example." And it explains the shuffle with a limited group of cards A to 8 of hearts and A to 8 of spades.

You may want to find references to C.O. Williams Smile but Fulves seems to credit the principle to Jordan.

Marc
Ross
View Profile
Elite user
Bristol
479 Posts

Profile of Ross
Thanks Marc!

Ross
alecStephenson
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of alecStephenson
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2017, Ross wrote:
Hi marc_carrion,

Thanks. I was wondering if anyone had any details about where it was originally published. Subsequent research has informed me that the concept was included in Charles Jordan's 30 Card Mysteries published in 1919. I think that'll do but if anyone knows of an earlier reference I'll use it.

Cheers,

Ross

I would use that as the originally published reference. Jordan also mentions C.O. Williams in the preface of 30 card mysteries. An obscure earlier reference that is sometimes given is

Williams, C. O. (1912) A card reading. The Magician Monthly 8 67.

But this is an effect that uses a principle, rather than a discussion of the principle itself. And anyway the effect is called 'card reading extraordinary' so why it is given as 'a card reading' I'm not sure. It's also written up in EOCT, under yet another name.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Help with crediting Charles Jordan's A Shuffle Secret (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL