The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Memorize a shuffled deck in under 60 seconds. (29 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Memory_Magician
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Memory_Magician
Hey all, I've been a long time magician and Memory Athlete and felt I would share this with the community. I currently hold the record for 4th best memory in the US, and have memorized a shuffled deck of cards in 34 seconds in competition. Here is a video clip of me doing it in 39 seconds. Feel free to ask any Q, I'd be happy to answer.

https://youtu.be/2RZcjS56d5E

Livan
adiabaticman
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
144 Posts

Profile of adiabaticman
Congratulations on your record! I was wondering how long it takes you to memorize half a deck. Is it half the time required for a full deck or does it scale non linearly. I ask because I am interested in being able to memorize at least half a deck quickly. A lot of cool tricks can be done even with a half mem deck.
Watching those electrons dance on the adiabat, from Franck-Condon to the Asymptote.
Memory_Magician
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

I would say yes half a deck would only take half the time
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
And you assemble the second deck in the reverse order that you memorized the first one. So apparently you capture the whole deck together, not in a front to back order. Can you assemble the second deck starting at any point? How long does the memory of one deck last?
adiabaticman
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
144 Posts

Profile of adiabaticman
Thanks Memory_Magician. I have another question. I'm sure there are a lot of great resources to help train for memorizing a deck of cards in a short time. I am curious what you used or recommend.
Watching those electrons dance on the adiabat, from Franck-Condon to the Asymptote.
Memory_Magician
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 12, 2017, BeThePlunk wrote:
And you assemble the second deck in the reverse order that you memorized the first one. So apparently you capture the whole deck together, not in a front to back order. Can you assemble the second deck starting at any point? How long does the memory of one deck last?

I memorize the cards from the bottom of the deck (the face) to the top (the back). This is because it is naturally easier to thumb through them that way. When stacking the deck they will obviously be reversed since my #1 card is actually the last card (bottom of deck) I always then have to reverse the order before I check. I can remember the deck backwards and forwards and can start at any point, it just makes sense to start in order. The memory last for a day usually, I purposely want to forget it so I can start a new deck the next day but if I wanted to I could retain the memory of that deck for the rest of my life if I wanted to but it's pointless.
Memory_Magician
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

There are many resources some good, most bad lol. I would say "How to Develop a Brilliant Memory Week by Week: 52 Proven Ways to Enhance Your Memory Skills" By Dominic O'Brien as one of the top resources for starting out.
avasatu
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of avasatu
Can you actually name a card at a given position and vice versa, or can you just list them in order? Do you use the celebrity/household item method, or some kind of mental palace? How does one go about practicing this and getting some good initial info?
adiabaticman
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
144 Posts

Profile of adiabaticman
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2017, Memory_Magician wrote:
There are many resources some good, most bad lol. I would say "How to Develop a Brilliant Memory Week by Week: 52 Proven Ways to Enhance Your Memory Skills" By Dominic O'Brien as one of the top resources for starting out.

Thanks! I'll check it out.
Memory_Magician
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Avasatu

Yes I use the Memory Palace method. I don't know the exact position of each card, and that is only because I don't need to for competitions. That means it's a very easy edit I would need to make to be able to tell at what position each card is at. It would require putting "landmarks" at different palace positions like one at every 5th Location so I know the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th card etc. and then it's a simple thing to do a calculation.

Hope that helps! I should also point out this is useful for multiple decks and I have memorized 5 shuffled decks in 10 minutes for competition as well, so the methods works.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
The memory palace concept is 3000 years old!!! The methods I teach in about 17 books (starting in 1956) are MUCH, MUCH, better and easier. Ya' gotta' start reading the good stuff.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1169 Posts

Profile of shakuni
IMHO, Memory palace is a great technique but not suitable if you want to do memdeck work. Use Mnemonics (which is what Mr. Lorayne refers I think).
Memory_Magician
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Shakuni

I believe what you mean to say is that the Memory Palace method is not the optimal technique for someone who simply needs or wants to memorize a stack (like Mnemonica) in which case you are right. It's like buying a Ferrari to drive to the corner to buy milk only. The Memory Palace technique is meant for people who need to repeatably memorize random decks of cards or even dozens in a very short amount of time.
adiabaticman
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
144 Posts

Profile of adiabaticman
I have memorized the Aronson stack using the peg word method described by Aronson.I am now interested in being able to memorize a random borrowed deck (at least half) quickly and then perform mem deck tricks. Can be very powerful. I've been meaning to check out Harry Lorayne's books for a while. Will do so soon.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
I loved Dominic O'Brien's books!
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Anyone even remotely interested in this topic should read Joshua Foer's Moonwalking with Einstein.

Subtitled "The Art and Science of Remembering Everything", it's a mesmerizing account of his exploration of the astonishing world of "memory athletes".
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Marc O
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
755 Posts

Profile of Marc O
Thank you Livan for posting that video, very impressive.
Memory_Magician
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Thank you Marc O. Thanks for watching.
hitlab
View Profile
New user
Perth
19 Posts

Profile of hitlab
Impressive stuff
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
The venerable Bill Palmer points us to yet another resource that has not been mentioned yet imho:

"The David Roth Memory Course":

Quote:
On Apr 3, 2006, Bill Palmer wrote:
Although Feinagle did develop the system that Lorayne's is based upon, Lorayne probably got his start with either the Roth system or the Zufall system.
If you can find the David Roth memory course (not by the coin man, different David Roth) you will have a book that is superior to anything that Harry Loraye has published.
For one thing, there are more illustrations. These make it much easier to grasp.

A lot of this depends on what you intend to do with it, though. If memorizing a deck of cards in one minute is your goal, Harry's system may not be the best. If doing a memory demonstration for a group of people is your goal, it will work just fine.

And Boris Konrad, multiple-time Memory World Champion, Grandmaster of Memory (GMM) and also a member here on TMC points us to a technique he's using:

Quote:
On Apr 03, 2006, Memo wrote:
Within the "inner thoughts" I published my technique, which was published (for free) by the German memory-athlet Steffen Buetow about four years ago. On a good day, I memorize a deck of cards in about 30 seconds using this technique.

He summarizes:

Quote:
On Apr 20, 2006, Memo wrote:
I can memorize a number with 250 digits in five minutes, a deck of cards in 40 seconds - and I do not have to use a single technique, that has not been known by people at least 400 years ago!

We don't know if he's solely driven by jealousy or just speaking from experience as World Champion when he states:

Quote:
On Apr 03, 2006, Memo wrote:
Mr. Lorayne is too often overstating his success and minling memory effects and "pure memory". He would have no chance at a memory competiton. It is sad, that nearly all people dealing with memory training on a really high level are very disappointed by Loraynes statements about memory and memory-performers.

Especially, that Mr. Lorayne claims to be the inventor of a lot of techniques, that have been known for ages - because the major basics of all the memory techniques we are talking about have been invented/found by ancienct Greek people more than 2000 years ago. If you like to, you could learn all the techniques you need for great memory effects from the books of Socrates or Keos!

If you like to learn how to memorize a deck of cards in two minutes, any of the known systems will help you and Lorayne maybe is the first one who ever published the technique specialized for playing cards (still using the same 2000-years old ideas). But if you like to memorize a deck of cards in less than a minute or even 40 seconds (after a lot of training) it might be helpful to read what experienced memorizers do (just small changes to old and basic technqiues).

So to sum it up: there seems to be no 'best system' per se. Try a few approaches and see what you're most comfortable with!
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Memorize a shuffled deck in under 60 seconds. (29 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL