The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Richard Potter, America's first professional magician (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ronin
View Profile
Loyal user
Martinez,CA
216 Posts

Profile of Ronin
I recently came across a wonderful article on Richard Potter (1783-1835) that greatly expanded my knowledge of America's first professional magician. Written by historian Paul Johnson, it's titled "Playing with Race in the Early Republic: Mr. Potter, the Ventriloquist". It's available online through MIT press:

http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/abs/......aq4jytPY

Previously, the most substantial material I'd found was in Jim Magus' book, "Magical Heroes: The Lives and Legends of Great African American Magicians" and Jim Haskins and Kathleen Benson's "Conjure Times: The History of Black Magicians in America". The Johnson article was a wonderful read, and I was delighted to find that many of the sources he referenced are available online. The president of the Andover (NH) Historical Society also informed me that Dr. John Hodgson, another historian, is finishing a book on Potter, due to be published soon.

And: the travel website Atlas Obscura just added an entry on Potter's gravesite in Andover (entry written by yours truly):

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/grave......magician
David Hirata
www.thingsimpossible.com

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta."
--Federico Fellini
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
In the very early '70s, I saw a young man, whose name I have sadly forgotten, do a re-creation of Richard Potter and his act, in the "Jay Marshall Theater" (the "back room" of Magic Inc. in Chicago).

The "theater" was full! The show was great! The performer, dressed in period costume, presented the act that Potter made his living with (egad! another Charlie Miller!). Potter, somewhat like the late BOB HUMMER, was a busker, who worked in the "pubs" in early America. (Max Malini, often worked like this!)

With small props (a few coins, handkerchiefs, etc.) it was very entertaining, especially because the performer's patter was delivered in the vocabulary of the early 19th century.

Maybe someone will know the name of the young fellow who "was" Potter, that evening.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Ronin
View Profile
Loyal user
Martinez,CA
216 Posts

Profile of Ronin
Wow, Dick--I'm envious! I'm guessing that the performer might have been Robert Olson, who performed re-creations of Potter's act in New England for many years?

(And I'm sure a lot of great things have been done in the "Jay Marshall Theater"--I was lucky enough to see the room on a tour at Magic, Inc, and it was a thrill to think of the history in that room.)

I just received an email from Dr. Hodgson, and his book, "Richard Potter--America's First Black Celebrity" is due in January from University of Virginia Press. I can't wait!
David Hirata
www.thingsimpossible.com

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta."
--Federico Fellini
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi David!

I was just 'surfing' and noted your post. Yup! It was Bob Olson! I can still picture him working in that 'room' which no longer exists! Magic Inc. has moved a few blocks away. I lectured in that room several times, over the years, and, performed at many of Frances' "Orphans & Waifs" parties, on that stage. I think that I broke Charlie Miller's record for time stayed in the "Charlie Miller Suite"!

Continue reading below! My computer is "acting up"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wrote up the 'story', in my book, of PRINCIPE NOTAES MAJAHARA (real name, Talbot Emanuel Seaton) a marvelous black magician, whom I saw, and met in 1951, when I was in the Navy.

About 15 years ago, I was able to contact Majahara's great grandson, who lives in San Diego. Bev Bergeron and I both knew Majahara. I wish that I had known that Jim Magus was writing his book. I could have furnished the story of Majahara.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Richard Potter, America's first professional magician (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL