The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Space Base - Yes or no? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MikeJRogers
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
354 Posts

Profile of MikeJRogers
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of developing a new base design (surroundable). The actual base section is an inch thick. This rests on two stands so there is a large empty space in between , you can see right through to the back of the performing area.

I've drawn up a few 3D models of it and it certainly looks deceptive. There doesn't seem to be any place to hide anyone.

Anyways I have a few questions regarding bases in general. Any help would be very much appreciated.

-Is there a need for another base design?

-Are audiences becoming familiar with load techniques?

-What would you describe as being the ultimate base design?

-Any other thoughts?

Thanks for your time, take care,

Mike
Mike Rogers Illusion Design - Australia - http://www.mikerogers.com.au
"Nothings impossible, the impossible just takes longer" - Dan Brown novel
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
Mike -

While therer is always room for "another" base design, more often than not, it's a reinvention of an old design, not "another" design. I've designed 5 or so "new base ideas" over the past twenty years, but in reality, they are all derivative. In almost every case, if it's a good idea, lots of bright minds have mulled it over many times in the past.

It depends on what you mean by "familiar." I daresay that audiences get "smarter," and magicians fool mostly themselves; many people can reasonably judge the approximate volume required for a hidden assistant. If a base/illusion/presentation is awkward, there may be many more spectators picking up on the clues than 20 years ago, if that answers your question.

There is no single "ultimate design." There are too many requirements of past, present, and future illusions; a single base, method. or style could not satisfy them all.

Other thoughts? Yes. If you want to become a true student of "how to hide people," and you have the cash to spare, you *need* the two volume set "Great Stage Illusions of James Hodges" - it's really pricey at $250 for the pair, and it is largely nude pencil/pen drawings, but if you get these books, Hodges has detailed every conceivable way a human can be contorted to be hidden, and this knowledge is worth every penny.

--- Guy
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Hi Mike,

Bases are fine but personally I think other ideas like the stretch illusion should be used more often. Check out David Copperfield's Big Black Box Illusion and his Barclay House Illusion. I love the ideas.
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
What is the big black box and Barclay illusion? I have heard of both those but know nothing about them. I know the big black box can produce a bunch of people?
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
A bunch of people? You're kidding. Make that 2 girls, Copperfield himself and for a climax 3 huge dogs (Saint Bernards, I Guess).
The Barclay House is fit to produce an army.
You will find these on the Video of his Dreams and Nightmares show.
I built the Big Black box and regularly use it (minus the dogs of course).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Space Base - Yes or no? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL