The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Sal Piacente "The Shell Game" DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
"Sal Piacente The Shell Game DVD"---does any one know if it is any good? If so what is good about it?

I'm thinking of buying it, but I don't want to be a sucker.
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
From the demo video, it looks more like a demonstration on the scam and geared more towards that aspect rather than a magical effect. I would suggest Bob Kohler's Golden Shells video.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Thanks, Leeman, that is very helpfull to me.

Mario
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Penguin Magic had a special recently on the Shell Game DVD, and the Three-Card Monte DVD with a set of Golden Shells and some other give-away items for 59.95.

To answer your question, I have the Shell game DVD and thought it very informative. He goes over a lot of moves and scenarios and outs for putting that pea where you want it regardless of where it's located.

There is no full routine taught, but there is enough information to WOW your spectators.

I'm glad I went for the deal. I felt it was very well worth the money.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
dreidy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
156 Posts

Profile of dreidy
I too have the Shell Game DVD. I enjoyed it. Sal's explanation is clear, easy to follow and enjoyable to watch. Intelligent use of camera angles makes it very easy to follow the moves.

I went from knowing nothing to doing a passable routine (though it's not ready for public exhibition just yet) with this DVD. I'd recommend it.

David.
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
I don't have the DVD and have only seen the demo. Please don't take advice from me on the quality of the DVD or it's contents. I am making an assumption on the DVD by the demo clips alone.
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
I just bought and watched "Sal Piacente: Street Monte Combo Pack" and "Sal Piacente's Expert Card Magic Lecture Notes" and let me tell you, anything that Sal Piacente puts out, I will buy. Not only is this guy amazing, he also teaches very well.

All together I have about 40 or so magic DVDs and videos. I would have to rate these at the top. I know that you're asking about the shell game only, but I just wanted to tell all of you who don't know about Sal.

Yes, its a great DVD! Buy the deal from Penguin if you can. You can't go wrong.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
In my opinion, the DVDs Sal just released are very good. But like some have said, he teaches more the method of the Monte games, rather than magical effects with them. But if you are creative, all you really need is the technique and you can create your own routines with the knowledge you gain.

I took advantage of the excellent deal from Penguin on these DVDs, which is the Three-Card Monte and the Shells DVD, plus a set of Golden Shells, plus a deck of Bikes (I bought mine in March so because of their March Madness deal, I also received a B2 Bomber and a Soft TT).

All of that was just a bit over $50 after the 10% return customer discount! Heck of a good deal, and I am very happy with the purchase. However, I think the individual prices of the DVDs are a bit on the high side, based on the fact that there are no routines taught.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Several people have mentioned that they got a set of Golden Shells from Penquin Magic. These are not the The Golden Shells made by School for Scoundrels (as used and recommended by Bob Kohler), but a much cheaper and entirely different design by Magic Makers.

Magic Makers and Penquin Magic have both agreed not to use the name "The Golden Shells" in their marketing of this item.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I apologize, Whit. I referred to the Penguin shells as Golden Shells in my last post. I would go back in and change it, but I can't edit the post anymore. I'm sorry for the mistake.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Nothing to apologize for, Danny. I just wanted to point out the difference. Wouldn't want our shells to be confused with the Magic Maker set.
Magyckmyke
View Profile
New user
Lafayette La
57 Posts

Profile of Magyckmyke
The email I received from Penquin today is still calling them the Golden Shells.

The package deal does sound good. Is it possible to have too many performances of the Three-Card Monte or shell game on video? I think not.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
A question a bit off topic, if I may.

Does anyone actually use real walnut shells? Do they work?
Yours,

Ivan
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I noticed the same thing about Penguin. On certain parts of their site, the shells are still referred to as the Golden Shells. On the actual product description page, they are called the Golden 3 Shell Game. But if you look at a description of the Street Monte Combo pack, for example, they say "we'll throw in the Golden Shells" in the text. It's probably just an oversight, but they should probably change it.

- Edwin Louis Cole
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
It's not just Penguin. There are loads of companies selling what are referred to as The Golden shells.

Howard
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
When I first started learning the shells, I used real walnut shells. They work very well. And if you get good ones, they already have a bit of a curve to the bottom making them usable on hard surfaces.

I then bought a set of the magic maker shells off of ebay, tried them for a little while and then went back to the real shells. The only problem is that they don't last very long if you use them a lot. And it takes a bit of practice to be able to split the shells perfectly, and you have to go through a bunch of walnut to get a set that works well and are similar in appearance.
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
Hey Guys,

I just got the Street Monte Package from Penguin Magic. I thought it was a great deal and love showing off the shells that I got. Although they are not as good as the original Golden Shells, they are definitely eye candy for a good shell routine.

The DVDs are very well made, and Sal is an excellent teacher. For the price, I would say go with Penguin Magic and get this deal while you still can. If you want to learn more on the Shell game, them definitely pick up Bob Kohler's Golden Shell video. He has an excellent routine.

Steve
kissthecaptain
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of kissthecaptain
In Sal's Street Monte Combo, he teaches the history of the games, tons of moves and outs, AND his routine. I don't know why people are saying there is no routine on these.

IN FLAMES, I agree. Any DVDs with Sal are gonna be killers. I'll have 'em.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Sal Piacente "The Shell Game" DVD (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL