The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » "Off Beat Mentalism" by Arthur Setterington (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Hi all,
does any body own or has read this book, do you recommend it,
cheers
Art
Use the FORCE Luke.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I bought it back in the 70s, it is packed away, I'll have to look for it.
Off hand, I don't remember much about it.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

The pdf is only $5, take a chance.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Wow, for $5 I certainly will "take a chance".
Many thanks Tony,
Art
Use the FORCE Luke.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Thanks for the link Tony.
I was not aware of this site which is now in my bookmarks.
I have the book and am currently trying to locate just the right type of bulldog clip for the ribbon effect, which I think is v.good
thanks again
Art
Use the FORCE Luke.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
How about a review of the material?
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I bought this and am not a big fan of it. It is a photo copy of someone's used book. You can tell that someone used a copy machine to make a PDF. There are also a few marks and a highlight in the PDF from the owner of the book from years ago.

There is one routine where a deck of cards are being mixed while you are blindfolded. You are handed the cards and you hold the cards so that the faces of the deck faces the audience. You then in a rapid pace name every card in the deck.... This is a routine that can be done at anytime and anywhere using someone else's deck. The method is as simple as it can get, yet will fool everyone. That is a routine that I did like.

The very first routine is also a nice one. Three newspapers clipping are handed to a spectator and they are asked to placed a clipping in one of each of three bulldog clips that is hanging from a small stand. So you now have three bulldog clips with a newspaper clipping hanging from each bulldog clip, and in an order that the spectator was told to think about before he did it...... On the other side of the stage/platform/room is another small stand with three bulldog clips and each has a newspaper clipping hanging from them. The performer now removes the first one and reads the headline or information on the clipping. The spectator is asked to look at his first clipping and they both match. The other clippings in position two and three also matches the performers clippings. So the spectator had placed his three clippings in the same order of the clippings that had been sitting in front of the audience and not touch until the performer removed them one at a time.... This did caught my attention because the method made me laugh..... Think real simple here.... This reads like it would play very well because it looks so fair, plus at the end of the routine you can give the spectator all the clippings if you wanted.

Overall, I wasn't that excited after reading this PDF. Although I did like the card calling idea and the newspaper clippings routine. So, I guess just with the card calling routine that can be done at the drop of a hat, I got more than my money worth.

Ray
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Thank you, Ray.

There are some great bits in some of these older booklets, but a lot of meh, too. I don't mind underlining and margin notes. I do mind material I can't really use.

Patrick
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
For the price, I went ahead and purchased it. I didn't find anything I will use. For some, there may be a hidden gem!
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
641 Posts

Profile of Sensio
Well the title rocks nonetheless!
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Quote:
On May 19, 2017, rowdymagi5 wrote:
For the price, I went ahead and purchased it. I didn't find anything I will use. For some, there may be a hidden gem!

I agree with you. Although I found a couple effects of interest, I don't see myself doing them. At least it was cheap. Smile

Ray
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » "Off Beat Mentalism" by Arthur Setterington (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL