The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Two Fives for a Ten? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I recently saw a trailer for a trick where a five dollar bill has a cut in it that allows you to fold the bill so it looks like two fives, but when you unfold it, it turns into a ten dollar bill. I didn't catch the name of it and now can't find the promo video. Anyone know the name of this? Thanks.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I haven't seen that effect published for sale, but the two components are available:

The effect with a slit in the bill, to make it look like 2 bills at 90 degrees to each other(when refolded) can be found in Fulve's Self Working Paper Magic p23, or Magic with Every Day Objects (by Schindler), p190. Not the same, but Paul Harris' Buck Naked (Art of Astonishment) makes a single bill look like two w/o a slit.

To turn the "fives" into a ten could be done by various methods (a switch, a 2 dollar window method..)

Either way, it does sound like a cute way to combine the two methods.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, QC
966 Posts

Profile of JustJoshinMagic
The effect you're looking for is called Volunteer Swindler by Hiro Sakai
Check out my magic here:
http://JustJoshinMagic.com

and my official Instagram!
http://instagram.com/JustJoshinMagic
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
406 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
Todd...

The local magic shop in my town has exactly that trick. He puts it out under his shop’s brand. The way he sells it is that an One changes into a Two (double your money. It can be made up into a 10 changed to a five but with two fives inside of the fold. One starts with a bill completely opened and folds it ½ to the right, remaining ½ to the right, down ½ to make the smallest packet - then, when unfolded it has changed. I have a feeling he has incorporated a fold from another trick he has seen with the changed bill rubber cemented to the back - in a folded condition - of the originating bill. This change could easily start with the two 5’s shown and they then be folded down and unfolded revealing a 10. There is no slit involved as in the effect you initially described.

I can purchase one for you and send it to you if you would like. It is no trouble to see how it is constructed and make up the 10 to two fives. Just let me know.

Rhett Bryson
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Todd:

The slit in the "Volunteer Swindler"'s bill is the same as I was referring to (in case you wanted some instructions on that).
The flash transformation was impressive.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
I posted this on the Perverse Magic thread of the Genii Forum on May 1, 2012:

For Perverse Magic I would borrow a $5 and say I will change it to a $10 and instead get a $1 bill. I would look confused and then upset as I give the spectator the $1 plus four singles from my wallet.
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Hiro Sakai's "Volunteer Swindle" was originally published in the February 1999 issue of Genii magazine, under the title "The Fishy Five".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Two Fives for a Ten? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL