The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Cigarette Flourish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Hey everyone. I was watching Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones this weekend. When Ben Kanobi is at the bar and someone offers him some "deathsticks" (cigarettes) Kanobi uses the jedi mind trick on him telling him that he wants to rethink his life. The pusher then does this flourish with the cigarette that looks like a coin roll and it simply disappears in his hand. It looked WAY cool and it's something that I never noticed before. It's something that you may want to look at if you have the chance.
Justin R
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of Justin R
I haven't seen the new Star Wars movies, but it has a "don't smoke" message in it? I've never had anyone come up to me and just offer me a cigarette for no reason.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
It was pretty cool...go rent the movie Episode II: Attack of the Clones just because it's a good movie and watch for the cigarette flourish at the bar scene when Anakin is chasing the changeling. He may have just dropped it off the side of the bar but it looks SO good! It looked like a coin roll with the cigarette and it looks like it disappears into his palm...and yes it is sleight of hand, not a camera trick.
Eric Woods
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
115 Posts

Profile of Eric Woods
I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the info!
Catmouth
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Catmouth
I have the movie, but knowing Lucas, it was a digital cigarette. HAHA. That man is a master of Sleight of Mouse.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
The basic flourish can be found in Bill Tarr's Now You See It Now You Don't. The guy just did it so well that it looked great.
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
Yea, I haven't seen it either. It sounds cool. Hopefully it wasn't digital. The roll might have been real but after that the computer might take over for the final vanish. I will have to see it for myself before I say anything though.
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
J.Dunaway
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of J.Dunaway
Heeeey, this is really seriously late but um, this thread was talked about in one of Michael Jay's Online-Visions articles!
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
575 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
I do believe in CINEFEX magazine it stated the flourish was done and then the "death stick" was removed digitally (not mentioned in the commentary however). Not surprising at all seeing Lukas used over a hundred CG shots just to change an actor's expression, even in the background. Talk about a perfectionist, or is it OCD?
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
I,ve seen the movie several times but I don't recall (or I didn't notice) that flourish.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
575 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Quote:
On 2007-02-24 11:04, fingerjack wrote:
I do believe in CINEFEX magazine it stated the flourish was done and then the "death stick" was removed digitally (not mentioned in the commentary however). Not surprising at all seeing Lukas used over a hundred CG shots just to change an actor's expression, even in the background. Talk about a perfectionist, or is it OCD?

Oooops, meant to say LUCAS, Lukas is my son's name!
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Cigarette Flourish (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL