The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Tray (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
I came across a silk tray at a convention years ago. I used it for many years in my shows in conjunction with my color changing record routine. I never saw it advertised anywhere before or after I purchased it. I was told by Bob Little (who I purchased it from) that it was made in Japan or China years ago and was no longer made. It is just TOO cool to not be made.

After searching and searching, I cannot find a bit of information on the original creator, and I have not only made these trays but have made improvements to use larger silks as well as a locking mechanism on the tray.

If anyone knows any info on this, please contact me so I can give credit where credit is due. I have included a video link below to what the tray does as well as me using it in front of two different audiences. I am a children's entertainer, so the audiences are kids, but this tray is not limited to kid shows, as most of my releases are. I'm sure many of you will see the potential to use it to music as well as producing silks to use in a specific routine etc. I will be releasing this in two days. Hope you like it Smile

https://youtu.be/NWf3xaiYZwA

Tommy James
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
As per usual, Tommy, you rock!

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of frankieacemagic
I JUST received this in the mail today. Unreal. It's KILLER, Tommy! So well crafted and durable. And the appearance of the silks is pretty much effortless (for the magician) while being absolutely stunning. I keep freaking my eyes out in the mirror Smile The weight of the removeable plastic panel makes the gimmick pivot so smoothly. And then it's a burst of color.

I have shows tomorrow night and over the weekend. THIS is my opener. Then right into color changing wreaths or 21st Century silks. Maybe Mismade flag?

Awesome, Tommy! I'm also messing around with a look don't see version where I whisk the silver cloth over it a few times, to no avail. Then I sort of yank it off the tray in frustration as I turn to go back to my case. The kids will be screaming about the appearance of the silks. I almost have it choreographed Smile
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Thanks Donald and, thanks Frankie for the review.

I wish I could take credit for the genius of the working parts. I hope someone at some point will know the original creator of this type of prop so I can give credit where credit is due.
Paul Gross from Hocus Pocus, who has been a dealer for 40 years says hes never seen this type of prop either. So I must have had a rare piece.

The more you use this, the more you're going to love it. Trust me.

Have fun with it!
magic4kids
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of magic4kids
This is a great prop! I use the Crystal Tube as an opener in my Preschool shows.
I have been looking for a new way to produce the silks. This is it!
Well made and very smooth operation with lots of possibilities.
Tim Snyder
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
112 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
Many times on this forum I have read, "If you find a unique prop that you like, buy it; because you never know just how long it will be produced". I love silk magic. So when I saw this prop, I decided to pull the trigger right away. I am glad that I did! I am very pleased with this product. Thank you, Tommy.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2017, Tim Snyder wrote:
Many times on this forum I have read, "If you find a unique prop that you like, buy it; because you never know just how long it will be produced". I love silk magic. So when I saw this prop, I decided to pull the trigger right away. I am glad that I did! I am very pleased with this product. Thank you, Tommy.

Thanks Tim. I hope you enjoy using this!
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
I used to have this trick . I believe this trick originally made by TRICKS Japan.
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
I checked on TRICK Catalog 1997, its name is GHOST SILK STAND by Toshio Akanuma. It's available in 2 sizes .
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2017, indomagic wrote:
I checked on TRICK Catalog 1997, its name is GHOST SILK STAND by Toshio Akanuma. It's available in 2 sizes .

Wow thanks SO much for that information! Now I can give credit where credit is due. Are they still in business???
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2017, TommyJ wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2017, indomagic wrote:

Wow thanks SO much for that information! Now I can give credit where credit is due. Are they still in business???

Tommy, I don't think they are still in business. I used to purchased their product more than 20 years ago. D.Robbin is their distributor in US.
Lester
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland. U.K
193 Posts

Profile of Lester
I received my Silk Tray yesterday from Gary at Practical Magic. Wow! what a fantastic prop. Just what I was looking for. If you are looking for a really impressive, versatile and superlative quality prop for a variety of silk or rope effects etc. then look no further than this tray.

Once again, a really tremendous service from Gary at Practical Magic. Many thanks, Gary

Best magical wishes,
Lester
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Tray (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL