The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Introducing a puppet (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

piperdod
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of piperdod
Hello, I use a couple of non vent puppets in my show and I'm just trying to get better ideas how you introduce my puppet, do you make yours "magically " appear, introduce it by name,etc. Thanks for your help
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Spellbinder's "Vanishing Hand-Puppet House" from The Wizards' Journal #19, originally started as a way to vanish a hand puppet at the end of an act, but it has also been used to make the puppet appear at the beginning of an act. The house gets put together, piece by piece, and then the puppet waves out the window, or sticks his head out (seen by the kids, but not the puppeteer!) until you finally see it and convince the puppet to come out of the house to begin the routine.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I usually just say something like: “Now it’s time to introduce you to my friend, Dax. Would you like to meet him?

Kids will yell, “Yes!” Then, depending on the particular puppet’s character, I will milk that situation a little bit. For example:

“I’m not sure I should bring him out, because he’s been a bad boy. Are you sure you want to meet him?”

“Kids will yell “Yes!”

“He really misbehaves! Are you SURE you want to meet him?”

Kids yell “Yes!” even louder.

“All right, but don’t say I didn’t warn you …”

(Fetch puppet). “Here he is! Everybody say, “Hi Dax!”

Kids yell “Hi Dax” … and so on.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
You should always mention that it is a Puppet before bringing it out (unless it would spoil a production).

Otherwise you will get at least one (or more) Kids telling you that: it is not real/it is a Puppet, as though they saw through a trick. If you say it is a Puppet this puts it all to rest.

-Mary Mowder
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I prefer waiting for the kid to yell "It's a puppet!" Then I cover the puppet's ears and say "Shhh! YOU know he's a puppet, and I know he's a puppet, but HE doesn't know he's a puppet! Let's keep it that way!" Change pronouns according to puppet's identified gender.
piperdod
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of piperdod
Thanks for the great advice, just ordered the ...Vanishing Hand-Puppet House....and will see how it goes
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Piperdod: Contact Spellbinder if you need help in figuring out how to reverse the effect and make the puppet appear in the house after it is assembled in plain sight. It should be obvious, but he has some tricks to make it easier.

It helps to remember that The Magic Nook is just like a small time brick and mortar shop in that you can always contact Spellbinder or me to ask questions before you buy stuff, or ask questions and get help after you bought stuff and are in the process of making the Do-It-Yourself projects. We can also put you in touch with Qua-Fiki, Jolyon Jenkins, Magicbob, Chris Dunn or any of our authors if you have questions about their e-Books as well.
piperdod
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of piperdod
Received the file from the nook, for me it seems a bit too bulky to carry around, but plans, etc were good
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Try making a proto-type from cardboard, but make it half size, or even quarter size. I don't know anything about the size of the puppet you are using, but the house should appear too small to hold the puppet, so that it seems like a giant next to the house. Remember, puppets don't mind being squished down small and crammed into tiny spaces. You should see what I do with my Poppets (Wizards' Journal #33).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Introducing a puppet (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL