The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » China Has Stepped up Their Game Plan (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
China has stepped up their game. Copy of new effects are coming out within weeks of the originals. The Gift in Gold is 12.96 with free shipping from Hong Kong. The really bad part about it, besides it being a rip off is that it's a GOOD Rip off. I don't know how they are doing it, but the quality of the copies are as just as good as the original. The one person who took a real hit was Joe Poper, now the Strong Box, Folding Key aren't really original ideas, they date back to the early 70's, I was able to trace something similar to the Strong box from Tannen's in 1971 that uses the same concept. The folding key, that's been around just as long. The really bad thing now is they are copying original routine books included with their version of the props, blatant copyright fraud.

Jake Jr.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
It is EXTREMELY possible that China made the originals of The Gift. This is what happens when you use Chinese manufacturing. They will run more than your contract run and sell them off. I have personally been privy to this happening. The big guys know it and just chalk it up to a price of doing business.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Dang, OUCH.
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2017, Mad Jake wrote:
China has stepped up their game. Copy of new effects are coming out within weeks of the originals. The Gift in Gold is 12.96 with free shipping from Hong Kong. The really bad part about it, besides it being a rip off is that it's a GOOD Rip off. I don't know how they are doing it, but the quality of the copies are as just as good as the original. The one person who took a real hit was Joe Poper, now the Strong Box, Folding Key aren't really original ideas, they date back to the early 70's, I was able to trace something similar to the Strong box from Tannen's in 1971 that uses the same concept. The folding key, that's been around just as long. The really bad thing now is they are copying original routine books included with their version of the props, blatant copyright fraud.

Jake Jr.

I take it you know this because you bought the knock off?
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a foolish man can learn from a wise answer.

Attributing negativity to a topic or post doesn't make the topic or post negative,
it shines a light on the negativity of the person or persons, making the attributions.

BEWARE these Debbie downers and anything they say. They simply lack the self esteem or good will, to be positive or productive. Your belief in self, is more
important and is all that matters, for your success to be glorious.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
No, not actually bought it. I saw one and you can tell a slight difference but they are using the packaging and instructions too. I have the original Gold Gift. I have a lot of electronics work done in China and they also sent me some new servo's. It wasn't till I went to program the servo that I noticed that too was a copy., the sad part was it was better than the original manufacturer. My father and I have been in magic for over 30 years together and I've seen a lot., no no PAUL I DID NOT BUY The KNOCK OFF.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There's been some discussion of this ...
https://www.amazon.com/Coming-China-Wars......9&sr=1-7
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Jonathan,
thank you for the link, I just bought the book. This should make for an interesting read. I noticed on ebay that there are some more Porper items coming out and they are including the original routines with them, they think by spelling Joe's last name wrong
it changes things. Well it kind of does, not only is it copyright infringement now it is also plagiarism. Correct me if I'm wrong Johnathan.

Jake Jr.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Somehow the "right to make copies" and "copyright" don't seem to be translating too well there. I found a bad copy of Platt's Blackout coin item.

Lowered production costs are just part of the "China price".

I wish they'd direct their efforts as locally relevant magic.

Someone there's offering gold foil/paper banknotes - wonder how they are for money magic.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
I have quite a few Chu Magic effects from when I was younger. They made good effects and it was suited to their country of origin. Did they too fall victim of the cheap magic that was starting to show up.
I'll have to give China this much, their quality is better than India. Back when India was having all those mudslides I never wished harm on anyone but certainly wished it would take out some of their
magic factories. Gold foil bank notes LOL, that's like drawing a bill on gold leafing..
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
There is a guy on FaceBook that sells these Chinese knock-offs. He advertises them as the actual effect, using the write up and creators name. When you receive the item he says different and the sales ad is gone. I had screen shots and he offered to let me ship it back and refund my money.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
The guys from utah?
debjit
View Profile
Loyal user
India
213 Posts

Profile of debjit
My new product ended up in Chinese sites in 2 days! :/
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Jun 11, 2017, Tom Cutts wrote:
It is EXTREMELY possible that China made the originals of The Gift. This is what happens when you use Chinese manufacturing. They will run more than your contract run and sell them off. I have personally been privy to this happening. The big guys know it and just chalk it up to a price of doing business.

This is absolutely happening and Chinese magic sites are having their inventory provided with these products.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
Debjit: I just checked and you are right, your product offered on Penguin Magic for $9.95 is listed on one of the Chinese websites currently for $2.99. From this I can only conclude that it must be an excellent product, otherwise the pirate site would probably be charging $.99 by now. (sigh) I continually puzzle over how quickly they manage to acquire products such as yours, also how blatantly they reproduce all the exact same ad copy as the legitimate site(s). I've reported such transgressions to the owners of the legit sites from time to time and have received thank-you messages in return. However, while it seems that they are well aware of the situation, they are powerless to put a stop to it. Tsk! Sadly, the elephant in the room here must be that such piracy is highly profitable, else why would they persist in doing it?
Never try to teach a pig how to sing. You will waste your time, and it annoys the pig.
debjit
View Profile
Loyal user
India
213 Posts

Profile of debjit
Quote:
On May 14, 2019, Deckstacker wrote:
Debjit: I just checked and you are right, your product offered on Penguin Magic for $9.95 is listed on one of the Chinese websites currently for $2.99. From this I can only conclude that it must be an excellent product, otherwise the pirate site would probably be charging $.99 by now. (sigh) I continually puzzle over how quickly they manage to acquire products such as yours, also how blatantly they reproduce all the exact same ad copy as the legitimate site(s). I've reported such transgressions to the owners of the legit sites from time to time and have received thank-you messages in return. However, while it seems that they are well aware of the situation, they are powerless to put a stop to it. Tsk! Sadly, the elephant in the room here must be that such piracy is highly profitable, else why would they persist in doing it?

Haha yeah, them charging $3 is kind of a compliment then Smile I've reported the sites myself but I've come to the conclusion that the Chinese sites can't be taken down. And a lot of people do buy from these sites... I have a Facebook group for my effect and I get a lot of requests from these pirates to accept them into my group lol.
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
As I have observed elsewhere on the Café, there are also semi-hidden areas on the Internet where huge amounts of copyrighted material are posted merely for the bragging rights to having done so--no profit motive whatsoever. Practically all the major works of Gardner, Scarne, Lorayne, Fulves, Hugard, Tamariz, and many 100's of others sit on Usenet servers free for the downloading by anyone who knows how. The posters of this material do not appear to be exclusively Chinese or even Asian for that matter.
Never try to teach a pig how to sing. You will waste your time, and it annoys the pig.
mantel
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of mantel
It's piracy for all the Magicians you listed except for Hugard as his copyrights have expired. Which means they're in the public domain.
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
Mantel: Thanks, guess I should have known that. There are literally hundreds of names I might have mentioned; I was just listing a few I figured everyone would recognize. There are also magazines like Center Tear, Genii, Reel Magic et al. plus many, many books and individual tricks in PDF format by authors such as Lesley, Burger, Osborne, Garcia, Aronson, Tarbell, Slydini and others. Who uploads all this material? I have no idea, as the posters all use pseudonyms from bogus sites/domains like "nowhere.com."
MateosSpain
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of MateosSpain
Torrent pirates upload the video next day, in 3 days anyone with $2 can buy it somewhere else Smile but the aliexpress stuff is astonishing ! "double cross" got falsified in 1 week, AND IS A SPECIAL INK ! Venom the ITR falsified in 2 weeks and so many quantities that they even needed to put IN THE OFFICIAL SITE A DISCLAIMER ABOUT FALSIFICATIONS !
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The problem with selling “secrets” as they are laughingly referred to, is you don’t know what will be done with them by the purchaser. One likes to think others will respect them, but culturally that is not always the imperative universally.

I guess the only way to keep a secret is is keep it and not sell it. Otherwise it seems creators get ripped off into oblivion. Very sad.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » China Has Stepped up Their Game Plan (11 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL