The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The death of the American News Media? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I know there's at least one guy here who loves himself some Glenn Greenwald.

https://theintercept.com/2017/06/27/cnn-......-threat/

"WHAT IS MOST notable about these episodes is that they all go in the same direction: hyping and exaggerating the threat posed by the Kremlin. All media outlets will make mistakes; that is to be expected. But when all of the “mistakes” are devoted to the same rhetorical theme, and when they all end up advancing the same narrative goal, it seems clear that they are not the byproduct of mere garden-variety journalistic mistakes."

And now to add one more nail in the coffin.

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/339632......bullshit

“Just to give you some context, President Trump pulled out of the climate accords and for a day and a half we covered the climate accords,” recalls Bonifield. “And the CEO of CNN [Zucker] said in our internal meeting, he said good job everybody covering the climate accords, but we’re done with that, let’s get back to Russia.”
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I agree 100% with Greenwald on this. I think he's consistently on the mark about media and civil liberties.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Is the media's fate any different than the electric guitar's?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
News in general has become cheap. Our society consumes news the same way that it consumes fast food. Pick it up, consume without attention, throw it away. Repeat.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
That's why I follow George Webb (Not his entire name) on Youtube. Kamikaze Learn or Burn journalism!!!!! And sit at home genius ... https://www.youtube.com/user/Styxhexenhammer666
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 27, 2017, rockwall wrote:
News in general has become cheap. Our society consumes news the same way that it consumes fast food. Pick it up, consume without attention, throw it away. Repeat.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
AceOfJokers
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AceOfJokers
I can't speak for the American News Media, but I grew up in a world where the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) was generally regarded the world over as a bastion of impartial truth and integrity. Sadly that is no longer the case. I no longer know where to go for 'news'.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
News, public service, infotainment, gossip, celebrity watch, branded distraction, consent barometer, dogma dispenser, ...

what alternative facts are trending today in my market demographic?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2017, rockwall wrote:

Absolutely, though it might very well be a bit worse.

They have an absolute stake in politics now.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
The main stream media is no longer journalism ... it's a cause.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
"In the technotronic society the trend would seem to be towards the aggregation of the individual support of millions of uncoordinated citizens, easily within the reach of magnetic and attractive personalities effectively exploiting the latest communications techniques to manipulate emotions and control reason."

-Big Z

1970, Between Two Ages: America's Role in the Technetronic Era.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2017, arthur stead wrote:
The main stream media is no longer journalism ... it's a cause.

Bingo. Unless you agree with the cause, then it is journalism.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
And every piece of news you disagree with, it's "fake news!" Confirmation bias is alive, well, and stronger than ever.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
“The technotronic era involves the gradual appearance of a more controlled society. Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen and maintain up-to-date complete files containing even the most personal information about the citizen. These files will be subject to instantaneous retrieval by the authorities. ”

― Zbigniew Brzeziński, Between Two Ages: America's Role in the Technetronic Era - 1970
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2017, Steven Keyl wrote:
And every piece of news you disagree with, it's "fake news!" Confirmation bias is alive, well, and stronger than ever.

Nope.

They earned their fake news tag unfortunately.

The big problem is that that can't be trusted to be non partisan. They chose a side and while they always had a leaning now it is a cause. They ruined themselves and it sucks fir everyone.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Questions for everyone (and no one in particuluar):

What do you count as "fake news"? Is it getting the facts wrong with/without correction?

Is it reporting on things that you deem to be unimportant or inappropriate?

Is it pure invention with little regard to facts?

If, for example, you accuse The New York Times of publishing "fake news"--what, exactly, do you mean by that?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Publishing with an agenda. Start there. When they admit it is their job to help one president, and help one candidate get elected it is a problem. They try to create a narrative, not report one.

The days of Woodward and Bernstein are gone. Nobody goes where the story takes them, they go where they want to go. Very sad. Because they have lost all credibility and the country is worse off for it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
What is all this fake new about President Trump getting people to do?

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
"Ladies and Gentlemen, it may be that the assertion I am about to make will be received by you with polite but none the less absolute incredulity; but it has it is a fact well known to some journalists, that President Trump and Putin possess the mysterious power of telepathy and use it to conspire with one another in secret. I do not myself as yet fully understand the exact nature of the power I have stumbled upon, but I know it to be a sort of mediam magnetic or sympathetic attraction, and I shall illustrate to you the principle involved by experimenting with a deck of cards.”

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The death of the American News Media? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL