The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » The Hindu Shuffle (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kah22
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of kah22
Perhaps the best place to ask as I'm still in learning mode

I've been practicing my Hindu shuffle over the past few days. I think I have the technique correct, it's now a matter of building up speed. There is one aspect that is bugging me so hopefully you can offer some guidance

When I started my practise I separated all my cards into numerical and suite order: H. D. S. C. After every three passes I checked the order of the suites and found that even after 12 passes there were still large clumps of each suite and the colours themselves weren't that well mixed. I began to think to myself that if I had to shuffle a new deck it would take quite sometime for a proper mixture

Perhaps I'm lifting to many/to few cards at any one time. To get a good mix how many should I aim to lift at once: 5, 10, 15 ? Perhaps it's not a great shuffle for a new deck

It does seem a relatively easy shuffle to learn. Could you suggest any solutions to my problem

Kevin
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The last thing I would use the Hindu Shuffle for is to "shuffle the cards," that is, "randomize the deck." It's only important that it APPEARS to be shuffling the cards with a series of cuts. Its other uses for forcing and controlling a card or series of cards are the reason it is still very much used today. "The Royal Road to Card Magic" by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue has an entire chapter devoted to the uses of the Hindu Shuffle. Reading should be your next step in learning what to do with this venerable card magician's tool.
kah22
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of kah22
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2017, jimgerrish wrote:
The last thing I would use the Hindu Shuffle for is to "shuffle the cards," that is, "randomize the deck." It's only important that it APPEARS to be shuffling the cards...
I must admit Jim I'm not surprised at your reply. As you said it is important that you APPEAR to be randomising the cards. It seems to me then that from a performance point of view that the best option would be the riffle shuffle, perhaps started or finished by a quick Hindu shuffle. The overhand shuffle seems so armatureiish .
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Don't knock the overhand shuffle as inferior. It has its uses as well. Learn what each shuffle is good for and then be ready to apply whichever is needed for the effect you want to achieve. I have been having fun using the Paul Curry "smushing shuffle" in tricks that employ the Gilbreath Principle because it looks so deceptive to the audience and can be done with jumbo cards that really can't be shuffled any other way.
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
Why are you learning a Hindu shuffle over an overhand shuffle? I have literally never seen anyone shuffle cards that way. I have never used a hindu shuffle in performance ever. People use the overhand shuffle all the time. Hindu shuffle not only looks unnatural, but isn't a good shuffle either.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2017, James F wrote:
Why are you learning a Hindu shuffle over an overhand shuffle? I have literally never seen anyone shuffle cards that way. I have never used a hindu shuffle in performance ever. People use the overhand shuffle all the time. Hindu shuffle not only looks unnatural, but isn't a good shuffle either.

Because you're American.
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
I'm assuming he is too based on his name. Could be wrong, though.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Hindu shuffles don't necessarily seem odd in North America if done with nonchalance. In this video, I use a Hindu shuffle as part of a full deck false shuffle sequence. I tend to use this one when my attention isn't on the cards, and while I'm casually talking to the spectator. It just seems like I'm absent mindedly mixing the cards in a non-flashy way.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxra1gjk4w8ima......mov?dl=0
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
But he is specifically learning a Hindu shuffle over an overhand shuffle. If he's in north america, I would say that's a mistake.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Just an anecdote. I live in a part of North America with a heavy middle eastern population. I've had MANY spectators shuffle my decks of cards using the Hindu shuffle as their most familiar style of shuffling.
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Kevin, let me add a little to this discussion. Magic in the eyes of your audience is effect... Many including Vernon believe the simple direct method was as good if not better than complicated manipulations.
With all that said a Hindu can be used in your magic provided you use it consistently and not just for one effect.
The single use will cause many to conclude the shuffle was indeed the method bringing about the effect. Use the shuffle consistently, even as a nervous flourish between effects to normalize the shuffle. As the audience sees you using the shuffle all the time they will accept this as your way of shuffling.
You can use a Hindu shuffle to control cards, randomize all or part of the deck or just a fancy of shuffling.
What you are seeing as a problem is really the way the mixing of the cards happen during a Hindu shuffle. Unless you are trying to completely randomize a stack fresh out of a sealed box it will go unnoticed if you don't bring attention to it.
I've used it and received comments from audience members about the "cool" way I shuffled the cards. Don't sacrifice smooth but just going for speed, a nice even smooth pace doesn't draw unneeded attention. Attempts at speed can draw the eyes to the wrong place at the wrong time.
Keep practicing it's worth it.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2017, 61magic wrote:
Kevin, let me add a little to this discussion. Magic in the eyes of your audience is effect... Many including Vernon believe the simple direct method was as good if not better than complicated manipulations.

I think Darwin's advice is best: use an indirect method to produce a direct effect.
RayRannala
View Profile
New user
Tampa, FL
32 Posts

Profile of RayRannala
James, the Hindu shuffle is an extremely easy way to force. I do several effects that take advantage of it like the Chicago Opener. Also, unless you are into "cardistry " there is very little value in performing a "professional" looking shuffle. I deliberately shuffle in a sloppy manner to disguise my handling skills. Dropping cards from time to time hides sleight of hand. Also non magicians do not know that the Hindu shuffle is ineffective. It really works if it is the best method. I have performed it hundreds of times without question. You may want to reconsider 😃

Quote:
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
389 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
I don't use the Hindu shuffle but I have seen many use a Hindu like shuffle. The grip is different though. It might be worthwhile to adapt the Hindu sleights to the different grip. It might mean that some of techniques don't translate well. On the other hand it might lead to new opportunities.

Best,
Jed
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
For what's its worth, for those to whom the Hindu shuffle looks to odd to use, you can do the same type of force off an overhand shuffle.
SimonCard
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of SimonCard
I haven't seen any layman doing overhand shuffle in China, they all do hindu shuffle or in-hand riffle.
carlyle
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of carlyle
I've never seen anyone do a Hindu shuffle, but use it sometimes. I just find it somewhat uncomfortable, the wrist positions. But I have nothing against the Hindu shuffle.

I have seen a number of people (like my wife) who will do an overhand shuffle with the cards turned 90 degrees - the cards are held by the long ends as opposed to the short ends. It looks a bit like a Hindu shuffle, but feels like an overhand shuffle (which it is, of course). I've tried once in a while to use it during a control or false shuffle, but have had no luck.
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2017, RayRannala wrote:
James, the Hindu shuffle is an extremely easy way to force. I do several effects that take advantage of it like the Chicago Opener. Also, unless you are into "cardistry " there is very little value in performing a "professional" looking shuffle. I deliberately shuffle in a sloppy manner to disguise my handling skills. Dropping cards from time to time hides sleight of hand. Also non magicians do not know that the Hindu shuffle is ineffective. It really works if it is the best method. I have performed it hundreds of times without question. You may want to reconsider 😃

Quote:

Just because something is easy, doesn't mean you should be using it. It looks seriously unnatural. Will it probably fly by 99% of all spectators? Sure, I suppose. So in all honesty, there really isn't any reason to debate this issue. But I think people will kind of think to themselves that it's a weird way to shuffle cards. I don't think they would think there is anything tricky going on though. But either way, the Overhand shuffle is used much more in the magic literature and the OP would benefit much more from mastering it. This will help in the future with things like jog controls and what not. Either way, to have a card selected normally at the beginning of Chicago opener, only to then have them select a card in this really weird, unnatural way a few moments later doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Just sayin'
RayRannala
View Profile
New user
Tampa, FL
32 Posts

Profile of RayRannala
James, I agree that there is no need for debate. We should all use methods that best fit our performances and personal style. Thanks for your comment!

Quote:
On Aug 23, 2017, James F wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2017, RayRannala wrote:

Quote:

Just because something is easy, doesn't mean you should be using it. It looks seriously unnatural. Will it probably fly by 99% of all spectators? Sure, I suppose. So in all honesty, there really isn't any reason to debate this issue. But I think people will kind of think to themselves that it's a weird way to shuffle cards. I don't think they would think there is anything tricky going on though. But either way, the Overhand shuffle is used much more in the magic literature and the OP would benefit much more from mastering it. This will help in the future with things like jog controls and what not. Either way, to have a card selected normally at the beginning of Chicago opener, only to then have them select a card in this really weird, unnatural way a few moments later doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Just sayin'
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
Right on!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » The Hindu Shuffle (12 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL