The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Princess in a Pickle--Question (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
As long as the children are not allergic to chocolate, why not have them kiss with a chocolate kiss? Hand one to each child, they exchange kisses. Both get a treat for helping and also, neither is embarrassed.
GetMental64
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of GetMental64
I agree.
r1ch1e
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
9 Posts

Profile of r1ch1e
I was very fortunate to meet David (Silly Billy) on his recent tour of New Zealand and Australia. If he is lecturing in your town, I highly recommend attending regardless of whether you are a children's magician or not. His advice is valuable across the spectrum! Ken's comments above regarding not throwing away the creators instructions are gold - if you have paid good money for an effect (very good money for PIAP), then why throw away the real value of the effect, which is the lessons learned by the creator during their creative process. A clever person learns from their mistakes, a WISE person learns from others!
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I've no experience with Princess in a pickle.
This presentation needs the right kind of audience to get the kind of reaction that Silly Billy got on his video. Please remember that Silly Billy is a great children's performer who knows his audience and knows when not to and when to. He will be the first to admit that he doesn't get the same reaction every time, it depends on the kind of audience you're working with.
Ken here is my take on picking volunteers for this routine, I'd pick a girl a 2 or three years older than the boy she's going to kiss. She will more likely to kiss the little fellow without been embarrassed about it and he won't mind for he sees her as a big sister.
Just my input.
Tricky Ricky
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I watched and listened and no matter how many times, I cannot tell what the kid said that got the big laugh?
did anyone figure it out?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2018, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:
I watched and listened and no matter how many times, I cannot tell what the kid said that got the big laugh?
did anyone figure it out?

I think he said oops
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think you're right! Thx
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
MrKen
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of MrKen
For what it's worth, here are my few cents:

I have done my own version of this for a few years and found that along the way, children have gotten more sensible. It's a shame, everything has to be so pc these days. But here are some things that might help whoever is doing this.

- A method to picking the right volunteer: Say for example: If you want to help out with this next part of the show, you need to raise your hands ... no, you need to put your hands in your lap. No, you need to jump up and down and shout pick me pick me, no I changed my mind, you need to sit and smile etc (pick someone who did everything you asked without hesitation)

- Not my preferred method but you can say that you will only pick someone who is willing to do whatever it takes, even getting married. It gives away a little bit of what may happen (that's why I don't like this) but anybody who is still willing to come up will most likely be a fantastic volunteer.

- When you get to the last two and the kissing part and or if you noticed that things are taking a turn for the helpers, you can say: "Don't worry, this is just pretend and for being so brave, you will each get a fantastic prize" This is helped me out of a situation a few times when the "brave" volunteers did the "vanishing braveness" trick at the end.

- Pick all girls or all boys for this trick (I had to do it once at a girls party with a princess theme) and it went very well.

- Re-write your script to take off the pressure of that last moment. I sat down with a director to analyze and rewrite the story line, still keeping in the "romantic" moment at the end but with a new story to get there. Not ready to share this just yet but think of what other ways you could present this with those costumes. It is just such a fantastic routine David has created, and really plays well with the right crowd under right circumstances.

- Lastly, this should be a given but I'll mention it here anyways: a lot depends on how the audience has seen you interact with other volunteers up until that point. If you do sucker trick after sucker trick in the show, chances are there will be defiance when selecting a helper for this. Treat your volunteers with respect (no comments like "my fault I picked you") and it will create a whole different dynamic. (not saying anyone is not treating their audience without respect, just saying it all goes hand in hand) and be Ok with it if you find it doesn't suit your character.
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I have done this many times and so far have never had problems. However, I do not do it in every show. I pick the right situations to perform it. Also, I place it at the end so I scope the audience and look for the kids who I feel will work best. This is very important. Also, I never ask the kids to kiss. I let the audience say it. I also put very little emphasis on the kissing part. For the right situation and right audience and if you are careful picking your volunteers, then this routine can be a lot of fun to perform. Cheers!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Princess in a Pickle--Question (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL