The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Spirit Slate options (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I put this idea up many, many years ago.

If anyone decides to use any type of slates, or anything to make spirit writing appear, here is a subtlety I used:

I would have small paper bag filled with broken pieces of chalk, but they were all different colors. As I started the routine I would have someone reach inside and pull out a small piece. Let's say they pulled out a piece of yellow chalk... I would use that between the slates and later the writing would appear... in yellow.

Now I never made reference to color, but I'm sure it hit some immediately that it could have been any color and the same thing would have happened.

So basically I had made a simple two sided paper bag to force the color yellow. It just added another layer of deception. Use it if you like.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2018, Greg Arce wrote:

If anyone decides to use any type of slates, or anything to make spirit writing appear, here is a subtlety I used:

I would have small paper bag filled with broken pieces of chalk, but they were all different colors. As I started the routine I would have someone reach inside and pull out a small piece. Let's say they pulled out a piece of yellow chalk... I would use that between the slates and later the writing would appear... in yellow.

Now I never made reference to color, but I'm sure it hit some immediately that it could have been any color and the same thing would have happened.
Nice idea, Greg!
So basically I had made a simple two sided paper bag to force the color yellow. It just added another layer of deception. Use it if you like.

Greg

Nice idea, Greg!
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
rickreation
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of rickreation
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2018, Greg Arce wrote:

Greg

Wonderful idea, Greg. Eugene Burger did something similar but it was only two crayons and for close up. This is a great way to add another level of impossibility.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The ultimate Spirit Slate would be able to do more than make a simple message appear. It would be able to erase the message as well as write it; it would be able to converse with the medium, answer questions - one after another, insult you, make comments about members of the audience, tell ghoulish jokes, bounce around a bit, make chalk move, as well as write in different colors of chalk. It would be able to work in the hands of a spectator as well as in the hands of the medium. That's my project for this coming Halloween, 2018. I'm thinking of calling it "Caspar's Chatty Chalk Talk." I hope to have it finished by the end of September.
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
981 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2018, LebanonCircle wrote:
For those who missed them the first time, a new improved version has just been released...

https://youtu.be/Jk-J91e8Drs

Available here...

https://www.lebanoncircle.co.uk/products......-edition

Absolutely the best!! I’ve ordered
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
Jbond207
View Profile
New user
Mount Vernon, IN
59 Posts

Profile of Jbond207
I am interested in getting a pair of slates but just not sure which to get. I have been doing magic for many years but have never had a set of slates. I have an idea now for a routine. The slates on Gemini Artifacts look nice, as do the ones on Lebanon Circle look very nice also. Just can’t decide. I really don’t know the pros and cons. I need to do more research.
Darcy Brown
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
60 Posts

Profile of Darcy Brown
In terms of non-mechanical slates, I can vouch for Marc Charisse (he makes the slates for Gemini Artifacts). He just built me a set - they look beautiful, are very light but sturdy, and operate smoothly. He's also brilliant to work/communicate with.
I haven't used the mechanical slates from Lebanon Circle, but Dan's work is of course wonderful.
Just depends which way you want to go with the parameters of your routine.
Jbond207
View Profile
New user
Mount Vernon, IN
59 Posts

Profile of Jbond207
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2020, Darcy Brown wrote:
In terms of non-mechanical slates, I can vouch for Marc Charisse (he makes the slates for Gemini Artifacts). He just built me a set - they look beautiful, are very light but sturdy, and operate smoothly. He's also brilliant to work/communicate with.
I haven't used the mechanical slates from Lebanon Circle, but Dan's work is of course wonderful.
Just depends which way you want to go with the parameters of your routine.

Thanks! I have decided to go with the ones from Lebanon Circle. Tough decision though. The ones at Gemini looked great.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Spirit Slate options (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL