The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Playing cards with readings on them. (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Ahhh...I see it now! Thanks, Sponge!
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Davdo
View Profile
Regular user
New York
157 Posts

Profile of Davdo
Found these on Kickstarter. Very cool for readings!

CARTOMANCER POKER DECK - Archetypal Playing Cards, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/919......ng-cards
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2017, Davdo wrote:

CARTOMANCER POKER DECK - Archetypal Playing Cards, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/919......ng-cards

What do the sitters think about cards that are not traditional Tarot, such as the Ryder/Waite? Does it matter to them? Do they ever question the authenticity of the cards? Or is it that they don't know enough to ask?
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Querents don't care what deck you use as long as you give them an accurate reading.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2017, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Querents don't care what deck you use as long as you give them an accurate reading.

How do they determine it is accurate? Does it fit their perception of what they think it should be/ The reason I ask is out of curiosity. My grandmother and aunt were weekly clients of what was referred to as Fortune Tellers in those days. I was about 8 and was a very small child for my age. On one visit they took me to have my palm read and the resulting statement was that I would be a big man someday. It was a bit cloaked because what did it mean? Did it mean I would be wealthy or important or that I would be fat or tall? It probably was what helped me slip into magic at the age of 13. I have often thought about that statement and realize the forecast was accurate because I am a lot bigger than I was at the age of 8. I have never had the opportunity to have a card reading but think it would be entertaining and fun. I had supposed, and you verified it, that the querents, as you refer to them, are probably no more knowledgeable about the method or cards than I was of palmistry. Thanks for your reply.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Rook
View Profile
Special user
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
I partially put my way through undergrad reading and teaching Tarot. Depending on the client and context, some find the use of playing cards to be even more authentic than Tarot. If someone mentions that they'd love a reading and you're without your trusty RW Deck, simply asking "Do you have a deck of cards?" often gets a look of impressed surprise. "You can *do* that?" A quick smile and "Of course," then go with the reading. It enhances your reputation as a reader, rather than someone who happens to own some prescient cards.

-Roald Dahl
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Agreed. I've mentioned casually to friends the history of playing cards and how they relate to our current calendar, e.g. 52 cards and 52 weeks, 4 suites and 4 seasons etc., then briefly touching upon Cartomancy, and people are immediately engaged...and this has nothing to do with magic. It's during conversation. So there is a real connection I think, that people have with this ubiquitous object - a deck of cards - that so many people never give a second thought about, only to find out that something right in front of them at a friendly poker game may have historical, and even mystical significance.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Gismologic
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of Gismologic
Alright folk ..

This is the system that has been underground for several years, it is also the system used to break through to the other side by applying it to the Pip cards of the ancient Tarot de Marseille.
Email me for the connections.

This should prove helpful to card trick guys that just might wish to be taken more seriously.

Enjoy this study:

http://web.archive.org/web/2007070212585......ncy.html
Rook
View Profile
Special user
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2017, Gismologic wrote:
Alright folk ..

This is the system that has been underground for several years, it is also the system used to break through to the other side by applying it to the Pip cards of the ancient Tarot de Marseille.
Email me for the connections.

This should prove helpful to card trick guys that just might wish to be taken more seriously.

Enjoy this study:

http://web.archive.org/web/2007070212585......ncy.html

This was delightful! Thanks!

-Roald Dahl
Caveman
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Caveman
Thanks for sharing the link Gismo! Do you have any idea who created that poem? was it the author of the site, or is it older than that? also, the craft titles associated with the court cards... is there any historical info on the reading system outlined in the site, it's very interesting. Some of the card attributes are very traditional, and then there are some associations that break from some of the more common ones. Any background would be great. I looked around the site a bit, and maybe I should look more, but I didn't find any source info.
Gismologic
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of Gismologic
Actually, The Hedgewytch is/was a (now becoming Legend) Reader/Seer From The Blue Ridge Mountains that seemingly has merged a lot of Ancient Mountain "Cunning Folk" techniques with even older Eastern European Cartomancy.
Her name was Dawn Jackson, the Last we know of her is an address in Florida from over a decade ago.

This type of system has only recently been seeing a resurgence in the form of unlocking the power of the Minor Arcana in traditional/ancient Tarot de Marseille Readings.
The biggest proponents of this application can perhaps be found in the work of Enrique Enrigues & Camelia Elias.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2017, weepinwil wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2017, Davdo wrote:

What do the sitters think about cards that are not traditional Tarot, such as the Ryder/Waite? Does it matter to them? Do they ever question the authenticity of the cards? Or is it that they don't know enough to ask?

How do they know?
Schaff
View Profile
New user
Fargo, ND
75 Posts

Profile of Schaff
They do notice, I have been asked negitave questions before when using a non rider-waite deck.

But since the question was what "how do they know" Ill try to answer that: for what it's worth, I think that the images from ryder-waite have been in tv and hollywood so long that they expect to see them.
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
364 Posts

Profile of Mr Timothy Gray
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2017, Gismologic wrote:

This type of system has only recently been seeing a resurgence in the form of unlocking the power of the Minor Arcana in traditional/ancient Tarot de Marseille Readings.
The biggest proponents of this application can perhaps be found in the work of Enrique Enrigues & Camelia Elias.

There's far too many arbitrary meanings found in this system, which is at odds with EE's work. I have not read Camelia's work, so can't speak for that.
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

Specializing in the Occult Arts of Fortune Telling, Magic & Mediumship; Est. 1986
Caveman
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Caveman
Personally I felt a lot of the meanings in the Hedgewytch system were in keeping with the majority of card reading systems, what did you think was arbitrary about it? I'm genuinely interested, not trying to be adversarial in any way. Enrique's work, which is pretty arbitrary itself, my opinion, is also great, it really promotes the readers use of imagination. While he presents as being rather disenchanted with traditional or occult systems, I feel like I've benefited a lot from combining Enriques thoughts on the subject with traditional systems. I havent read anything by Camelia either.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Playing cards with readings on them. (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL