The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Settling for silver? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I purchased some replica coins from http://www.jastown.com/coins/coins.htm just because they looked so cool. Some of them are gold plated. You could do some very interesting things with treasure hunting, or pirate plots. The larger coins were all silver colored, but I'm sure you could find some great gold plated pirate coins to add a bit of the unusual to your routine.

Enjoy,

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I would love to use gold coins, but it seems as if they are harder to find and a lot more pricey.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
RE: "I agree with Mr. Townsend wholeheartedly, and am attempting to get my hands on some coins that have been taken out of the sea from Spanish wrecks"

If you'r referring to the coins that have recently gone on sale from some wreck that happened in 1857... specifically, the gold coins from that wreck, you're talking about some VERY expensive coins. Not only the gold value, not only the numismatic value, but also the added historic value of them being part of a documented ship wreck, and then recovered.

I saw an ad in Discover Magazine for the $20 Gold coins from that wreck, going for something like $1500 each.

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Be very careful when buying gold or silver coins from wrecks. In some cases, and they usually state it in the fine print, the coins are newly minted from the bullion that was on this ship. They did that with much of the gold from the Atocha.
I have an actual gold Dutch ducat from 1724 which was recovered from the Akerendam which was a Dutch ship that sunk about that time in a storm and was discovered by amateur divers in shallow waters off a Norway wildlife preserve. The coin is in a gold mount and and hangs from a chain. I bought it in Grand Cayman from a rare coin dealer about 15 years ago. I'd never use it to perform magic with. Read about this amazing discovery at: http://www.vocshipwrecks.nl/out_voyages7/akerendam.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Settling for silver? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL