The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What card plots can you not stand? (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Underlying this discussion (besides each to his/her own) is the question of what is magical. So, what *is* magical? What is it about a handling or plot or presentation or trick that evokes a sense of wonder?

Re: matters of taste. This discussion reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend of my daughter, who had lived in Florence for a year and loved Italian culture. I told her that every time I told someone how much I loved the writings of Jorge Luis Borges, they would reply, "Oh, you should read Italo Calvino!" So I tried -- and in theory I should love him -- invisible cities, tarot cards, a man who mystifyingly decides to spend his whole life in the trees, like a squirrel.... I find all those ideas immensely appealing, but I just can't read Calvino. I really *want* to like him, but I don't. My daughter's friends' response: Don't worry about it. I really want to like olives, and I just can't.

In case you were interested, as Pooh might say.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
About long tricks -- I don't have enough experience as a spectator or as a magician to judge, but I would think that a well-plotted trick that went on for a long time could be a pleasure. Isn't there room for both an Issa haiku and a War and Peace? I don't mean that in a facetious way -- I'm genuinely curious as to whether my analogy between magic and literature stands.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Hey Matt: I also hate boring SHORT card tricks.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2017, Bob G wrote:
About long tricks -- I don't have enough experience as a spectator or as a magician to judge, but I would think that a well-plotted trick that went on for a long time could be a pleasure. Isn't there room for both an Issa haiku and a War and Peace? I don't mean that in a facetious way -- I'm genuinely curious as to whether my analogy between magic and literature stands.

Every spectator can experience a haiku; it happens so fast it's almost unintentionally digested.
It takes serious relentless determination to make it through War & Peace. Most folks would rather not be bothered.

This is not to demean the potential quality of longer tricks, rather a diatribe on the attention span of modern-spectators.

Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
People are still writing novels, even long ones, and many of them find eager audiences. Does anyone know of a trick that's equivalent to, say, a short story, as opposed to a haiku or short lyric poem?

Sorry, James, I'm taking your OP in a different direction. If no one responds I'll make a new thread about this.

Bob
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
It's nonsense to blame audiences for "short attention spans." It's not their fault that you can't construct a compelling and magical routine.

Juan Tamariz. Tyler Wilson. Derren Brown. Andy from the Jerx. Tomas Blomberg. All contemporary performers that feature -- successfully -- longer, engaging routines. There's tons more, that's just off the top of my head. And across a variety of venues.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Oh brother.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
That's what I'm sayin'!
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2017, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
It's nonsense to blame audiences for "short attention spans." It's not their fault that you can't construct a compelling and magical routine.

Juan Tamariz. Tyler Wilson. Derren Brown. Andy from the Jerx. Tomas Blomberg. All contemporary performers that feature -- successfully -- longer, engaging routines. There's tons more, that's just off the top of my head. And across a variety of venues.

A Captive audience is not the same as a Captivated audience.
Longer routines are enjoyed (or suffered) by specs who paid to sit in a venue for a few hours.

Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Rupert,

Can you recommend any videos of long routines that you consider to be engaging?

Thanks,

Bob
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
I hate spelling effects
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
'Cause you probably haven't seen any GOOD ones!! I "kill" - that is make "jaws drop" with some.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What card plots can you not stand? (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL