The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Need help finding something for two effect ideas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Louis Gordon
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Louis Gordon
Reaching out again to the café to help find two solutions to something I want to be able to do for certain situations if they come up.

The first is to do a prediction of the exact amount of candy in a sealed jar. I am not picky on the candy but with Halloween coming up like jelly beans or smarties or something seems good or even candy corn. For this I have seen a version of something in an Lee Earle publication but I was hoping for something else.

The other effect concept revolves around a padlock combination. Where someone seals an item inside but I can open the safe without knowning the lock combo as that become an effect on top of everything else. I had heard Dunninger did something like this but can not find the material that was put out in or anything newer.

Thanks for your help!
PhilDean
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

Profile of PhilDean
Im not going to go into methods here as it's the wrong forum as such. But a few notes.

How would the candy thing work? Who's going to count it? What I would do is have a large bowl of m&ms or skittles, invite the participation to take a handful of candies and then tell them how many they took. I can think of a few ways to make that happen.

The padlock code has been done a number of times if I recall correctly. It shouldn't take too much searching to come up with the solution you seek.
Louis Gordon
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Louis Gordon
Definitely no methods please!

The candy thing is more of the idea of there is a precounted amount in the jar and the person you comes the nearest to it wins type of thing.

I seem to be searching for the wrong things in the combo lock then.
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
I am satisfied I could achieve both. Feel free to PM me if you need help.

Best,

Atlas
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
For the candy, I'd use the handful of coins bit. Not how many are in the jar, but how many the other person grabbed. Treatments exist in many places, but my first exposure was Ross Johnson in his Simply Psychic DVD.

A padlock, totally ungimmicked, would do the second. Osterlind has one method, but I really liked Nate Kranzo's approach. Kranzo in Detroit.

Patrick
Joe Atmore
View Profile
Elite user
Joe Atmore
419 Posts

Profile of Joe Atmore
Coverage of the Dunninger safe can be found in my book Dunninger Knows.
Best Thoughts,

Joe Atmore
International Artists Consultant Uri Geller's Phenomenon TV Series;
PEA Bob Haines Memorial Award;
Dunninger Show Recreation;
Author of Dunninger Knows and Dunninger's Brain Busters

JosephAtmore.com
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
You could use Spellbinder's "Cookie Jar Force" from The Wizards' Journal #16 to not only make the prediction (in a fortune cookie, for example, or inside an individually wrapped cupcake package) as to which cookie or cake will be selected after being mixed, and because the items are large, they can easily be counted when they come tumbling out of the jar to award two to the person or persons who came closest to guessing and the rest distributed one by one to the rest of the trick or treaters. Refill the jar quickly and reset for the next "audience."
Mark Timon
View Profile
Special user
596 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2017, Mr. Woolery wrote:
For the candy, I'd use the handful of coins bit. Not how many are in the jar, but how many the other person grabbed. Treatments exist in many places, but my first exposure was Ross Johnson in his Simply Psychic DVD.

Patrick

Use a NW or PW and you are ready to go!
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Have you ever heard of the central limit theorem? That can be used to get the audience to guess how many are in the jar. I've used it before (not in performance) and it is surprisingly accurate. There is a video on YouTube called wisdom of the crowds that gives a good demonstration.
I love post its Smile
PhilDean
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

Profile of PhilDean
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2017, Mark Timon wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2017, Mr. Woolery wrote:

Patrick

Use a NW or PW and you are ready to go!

Do we really have to give away methods on an openly searchable forum?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Need help finding something for two effect ideas (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL