The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Cut the cards and complete the cut - Fail (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magiccube
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of magiccube
You probably all know the situation when you have a stacked deck and ask a spectator to cut the deck and complete the cut. Sometimes the cards are very slippy or the spectator quickly does several piles and completes the cut that changes the order of the cards. Of course you pay attention to prevent that, but sometimes this happens so quick or unexpected, even though correct wording. What are you doing in that situation? Doing something else? Or having another card deck in your jacket that you can switch?
"Whose brilliant contributions to the field of Mental Magic will remain as an everlasting memorial to his genius - T. Annemann"

Join the "How to read minds 2 - Ellusionist" | Unofficial Facebook Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/htrm2
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
You could either 1) demonstrate exactly what you'd like them to do OR 2) mime the actions that you want them to perform. It won't work 100% of the time, but it will help.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
alicauchy
View Profile
Veteran user
Málaga, Spain
310 Posts

Profile of alicauchy
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2017, magiccube wrote:
You probably all know the situation when you have a stacked deck and ask a spectator to cut the deck and complete the cut. Sometimes the cards are very slippy or the spectator quickly does several piles and completes the cut that changes the order of the cards. Of course you pay attention to prevent that, but sometimes this happens so quick or unexpected, even though correct wording. What are you doing in that situation? Doing something else? Or having another card deck in your jacket that you can switch?

You provided two very good solutions; perhaps doing something else in which the spectators can freely shuffle and, then, switching the deck.

Anyway, "risk prevention" is crucial, as stated in the previous answer.
So much to do, so little time . . .
magiccube
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of magiccube
If it's related to mentalism it might be easier to argument, saying for instance that the effect is related in a mix of magic, psychology, influence, reading the body language, etc. Sometimes it's 100%, and sometimes just a bit.
"Whose brilliant contributions to the field of Mental Magic will remain as an everlasting memorial to his genius - T. Annemann"

Join the "How to read minds 2 - Ellusionist" | Unofficial Facebook Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/htrm2
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Assuming you've already got your audience management skills down, the best answer is to have a contingency trick that you'll do instead of the one you originally planned. The audience doesn't know what they don't see.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Yet another approach is not to telegraph what you are doing: ask the participant to cut the cards into two piles, and place the second pile here (gesturing). When this is done, point out the impossibility of nobody knowing what the cut-to card is, and then (gesturing again) ask the participant to complete the cut.

Of course, this won't completely solve the "slippery cards" problem but it will help even in that case, by minimizing the participant's handling of the pack.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
macc
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of macc
This happened to me one time. The cards fell on the floor...I gathered them up and just tried it again.
Luckily the stack still worked.Smile
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2017, ddyment wrote:
Yet another approach is not to telegraph what you are doing: ask the participant to cut the cards into two piles, and place the second pile here (gesturing). When this is done, point out the impossibility of nobody knowing what the cut-to card is, and then (gesturing again) ask the participant to complete the cut.

Of course, this won't completely solve the "slippery cards" problem but it will help even in that case, by minimizing the participant's handling of the pack.

thank you Doug. The devils in those details, and I love that one.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
I have them hold the cards as if they were going to deal them, then ask them to cut about half of them onto the table then place the remaining half on top. No cards slip and none get left behind on the table due to the slippery table tops.
RiderBacks
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of RiderBacks
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2017, magiccube wrote: but sometimes this happens so quick or unexpected, even though correct wording.

Your wording was not correct.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Some new cards today very slippery. I have one deck made all of plastic that are. If stand up hold the cards yourself and just let them more half to your other hand and you complete the cut. If on table just have them lift a little bit. If the cards fall on table you can easily keep the order.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
A subtlety I use is to emphasize that they can cut in the middle, deep, or near to top, wherever they'd like. Placing the emphasis on the depth of the cut seems to subconsciously imply to cut once. It seems to work for me. Of course, I usually demonstrate first, to be safe. On the rare occasion they have ruined the stack I just go into a different routine, and switch the deck by putting it away after the trick and doing something else, then pulling out the deck for one last effect.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Many good tips here on how to prevent the dropped/messed up cards issue to begin with.

But I'm guessing that every now and again the stack will still get messed up. In which case I have only two recourses: if I'm using my own deck it's most likely m*rked, and so I can probably do the same or similar effect anyway, or otherwise I'll just switch into a different effect and dump any stacked effects I had planned (and at that point I might as well tell the spectator to give the cards a thorough shuffle while I think of what to do next, lol)
Ricardo Delgado
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Ricardo Delgado
Cutting the cards into multiple piles only mix the cards in blocks. In that case is no that difficult to rearrange them. A good patter could help to:

"You can even cut the cards with the deck facing up, it's not common, but it works too" (spread the cards and nonchalantly drop each packet to the table, reversing what the spec has done).
RiderBacks
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of RiderBacks
Those who have tried effects that rely on the spectator cutting while the magician isn't looking will know how to better solve the OP's problems... My advice is to start with that kind of effect in mind when thinking about how to word your instructions. If you must, you can also go balls to the wall and show them how to cut the cards under the guise of explaining to them what kind of behavior would get them shot in a card game. Best way to do that? In the course of something like a poker effect...

You are asking for a load of trouble if you ask a spectator you have no knowledge of to "cut the cards and complete the cut". Everybody with any experience knows this. The words "cut the cards and complete the cut" should never, ever, ever come out of your mouth unless you already know how the individual cuts.
RiderBacks
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of RiderBacks
To follow up on this, it will help you greatly to think like an experienced *** who knows a lot of card effects and is determined to screw yours up. This kind of *** might, when you ask them to "cut the cards and complete the cut" perform some ridiculously fancy triple-cut straight out of cardistry. Whose fault is that? It's your fault. You enabled them to **** with your effect and totally ruin it. Routine everything *as if* your spectator were just that kind of ***.
blamobox
View Profile
New user
A shed in Somerset England
52 Posts

Profile of blamobox
Always have an out, that's my advice.
I frequently use card to pocket & Roy Walton's 'Smiling Mule' in such circumstances.
Time Ticks Away Like a Peanut............
ThomasIndigo
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of ThomasIndigo
If you want spectators to behave a specific way, you need to 1. Get good at identifying cooperative specs, and 2. Give directions one at a time, with visual demonstration if possible (ie show how to cut). If tragedy still strikes and a mistake is made, change the course of the effect or have other outs.
Bad jelly
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Bad jelly
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2017, ddyment wrote:

Was 'Panning for Gold' in this thread and found it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Cut the cards and complete the cut - Fail (10 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL