The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » SansMinds Magic » » Self-Flipping Notepad by Victor Sanz (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicmike30
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of magicmike30
You can use another note book. You make the gimmick, very smart indeed. What they supply is false advertising.
Penguin magic please respond to this frustrated Magician. I'm done with Sans Mind been burned more than once.

Mike
Entertainer
magicmike30
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of magicmike30
Thanks to Eric for hearing my frustration with this product and making it right.
Full refund indeed.
Penguin magic cares about its customers.
Sans Minds you have anything to say about how on Earth did this get messed up? Victor has a crazy good effect. How did that giant pad end up replacing the correct one used on the instructional?

Mike
Entertainer
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
So you can use a different notebook? Then what’s the problem? I’m confused, what am I missing? Take whatever’s provided and move it to the notebook you want to use. Sounds like it’s necessary to make the gimmick anyways, so not a huge deal.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Title: Self-Flipping Notepad
Creator: Victor Sanz
Publisher: SansMinds
MSRP: $ 30
Skill Level: all
DVD Run time: 18 minutes

Type of effect: Haunted Paper Pad

Manufacturer's Write Up: A mentalism effect combined with a very visual and ghostly display!

Mind-reading routines are as old as magic itself. While there is no need to fix something that isn't broken, you can always push boundaries. That is exactly what Victor Sanz has done with his very own variation of an age-old classic. Introducing the Self-Flipping Notepad!

Have your spectator write down the name of a deceased celebrity on your notepad, and use your mind-reading ability to tell them which person's name they wrote down. The spectator is stunned. Then contact that celebrity from beyond the grave, and get this other-wordly entity to flip through the notepad right to their name! The spectator's jaw will drop - be prepared for screams!

An impactful routine that will make any crowd flip out with awe!

How accurate is the ad copy? No deception

What's in the box?
1 instructional DVD
1 notebook (you need to prep it)

Key points: None of that "special stuff" usually involved with haunted pack effects!

How are the production values: Sans Minds always makes great DVDs, lots of angles, well mic’d. The background music is a little annoying, but not too distracting.

Is it well made: This is a standard “cheap” notebook that you prepare yourself with the tutorial.

Is it well taught: Taught by “Super Dave” – has both a few live action performances on the street and then Super Dave takes you back to the studio.

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" All you need is the notepad, no extras are needed.

Does it "play big?" Mentalism and haunted tricks have great potential if played well.

Difficulty / Skill level required: very easy

How much arts and crafts are involved? Nothing too difficult could be done in 20 minutes with typical household materials.

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) Very easily.

Overall score: let's toss out the traditional score of 1-10 and make this something that we all can appreciate and understand.

_____ Very Satisfied
__X___ Somewhat Satisfied
_____ Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied
_____ Somewhat Dissatisfied
_____ Very Dissatisfied
_____ No Opinion

My thoughts I actually like this idea “MORE” as a peek device and NOT as a haunted pack trick.

+ Hey do you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas? Visit this link for my video review: ​

dyoung
View Profile
Special user
898 Posts

Profile of dyoung
DAvid Kenney, so how come you don't address the fact that the pad is too big for the method? IT's the same as WPR, they also neglected to mention this, it's almost as if either of you havent tried to use it, and are just reviewing it based on what they are saying on the DVD and not based on the materials provided.

For $30, you get a pad that you can't use, and an idea that would've been better suited in a book or a dvd with other material. I'd say that's quite overpriced.

//Dan
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2017, dyoung wrote:
DAvid Kenney, so how come you don't address the fact that the pad is too big for the method? IT's the same as WPR, they also neglected to mention this, ...

Reviewers should begin their review with mentioning if they got the trick for free or that they paid for it.... Smile
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
@dyoung I did say in the video that I prefer the pad for the "peek method" and not the haunted method, and I repeatedly say that you'll probably want to buy your own pad and @Waterloophai I did mention that I got the product from murphys ... smile
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
898 Posts

Profile of dyoung
You are saying that you can and might want to buy your own, but you're not really saying why. That the one they supply you with is, for most people, unusable. Unless you have enormous hands.

//Dan
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2017, dyoung wrote:
You are saying that you can and might want to buy your own, but you're not really saying why. That the one they supply you with is, for most people, unusable. Unless you have enormous hands.

//Dan

What’s the fixation with the original notebook pad? Just use a different one. They’re literally only a few dollars. It’s so unimportant in the scheme of things. The important thing is whether the effect itself is worthwhile.
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
898 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Well, the problem is that the tool they've supplied is wrong. It's certainly not about the price of a pad. It's about the price for the trick, at $30 you should get the correct kind of pad. You know, the one they use in the video, or something similar at least. It's like buying a cell/mobile only to find out that it has the wronger charger, so you can't charge your phone. But hey a charger is only a few dollars Smile
it would've been less annoying had they not included anything at all, the fact that the wrong item is supplied, means that someone has sat there putting hundreds of these pads into dvd cases, which is a huge waste of time for that person. And it also shows a certain carelessness/ignorance, either not understanding that it won't suit the effect or not caring.

I think $20 and no pad would be more appropriate.

Anyways... all the best!
///Dan
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
I’m pretty sure neither review mentioned it because it doesn’t really minimize the value of the trick. When you pay money you’re essentially paying for the knowledge of how to perform the trick. I’m quite sure there are plenty of people who can use the supplied pad. While I agree it would have been better to provide a more universally useable notepad I just don’t understand the constant carping. Obviously others have accepted it for what is and appreciated the effect on its own merits. I’m much more interested if it’s a good effect with the right tools than if they supplied a pad that might be too large for my hands and that I can just replace for a buck. But hey, to each their own.
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
898 Posts

Profile of dyoung
So you don't feel sorry for the guy who had to sit and place 100's of pads into cases, and then only to find out that they are the wrong ones? Smile
Like I said, it's not about the price of buying a new pad. It's the principle of supplying a prop that isn't fit for the job. Does it not make you wonder how this has happened? Like I said it's either ignorance or carelessness... Pick either one. Smile

And no, you are paying for both the trick and the prop, which is why you get a pad. Did you pay $30 for this trick? I just think that magic has gotten a bit silly when it comes to pricing, this wouldve been $10 a few years ago, and you might even have gotten a functional pad with it. Or you could buy a book with this effect in it, for the same price as this effect is now.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2017, dyoung wrote:

I just think that magic has gotten a bit silly when it comes to pricing, this wouldve been $10 a few years ago, and you might even have gotten a functional pad with it. Or you could buy a book with this effect in it, for the same price as this effect is now.

I know right? I can remember when movies were 35 cents. I also remember when you could buy a car for $2000. Oh,Oh, ICE CREAM!!! It used to be cheaper.

James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Just watched Ekat do a review and SHE uses the provided notebook and shows it flipping properly at 9:33

So while most of us could say we don't "prefer" the provided notebook I think it's unfair to say that you "can't use it"
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
898 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Its more for the actual peek which requires you to cover the pad with your hand. that's more of the issue.
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2017, DavidKenney wrote:
Just watched Ekat do a review and SHE uses the provided notebook and shows it flipping properly at 9:33

So while most of us could say we don't "prefer" the provided notebook I think it's unfair to say that you "can't use it"

well that certainly helped me make up my mind. yikes.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
I'm done with the DIY world of Sansminds . . . .
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2017, dyoung wrote:
So you don't feel sorry for the guy who had to sit and place 100's of pads into cases, and then only to find out that they are the wrong ones?.

Hell no ... he (or she) is lucky to have a job! Smile

Well, I can think of better jobs but as long as they got a fair wage for where they live its all good. It's like buying a hamper with some crappy fish paste in it. You (I) don't feel sorry for the person who had to put the fish paste in it just because he's putting in the fish paste when someone else gets to put the chocolate in. It's still just a job. I certainly would be up[set for him if at the end of the week they came and said ... I'm so sorry we gave you tuna fish paste instead of cod fishpaste. UNless they then said so we arent paying you. let's not think that packers give a monkeys what you receive as long as they get paid.
TimothyMa
View Profile
New user
HongKong
41 Posts

Profile of TimothyMa
I brought it. It takes a day to build the gimmick. Not impressive for me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » SansMinds Magic » » Self-Flipping Notepad by Victor Sanz (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL