The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Lost in the deck (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kaubell
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of kaubell
When people does double undercut, they always say "its lost somewhere in the deck". Its automatic phrase, almost subconscious.

What this little sentence actually does, makes spectator immediately think "is it really?"

By creating verbal assumption, there is always doubt.

I just started to think how we leave little unnecessary verbal/physical "marks" that reveals more than we think

I think I will try to do double undercut and don't say anything (btw. its suspicious cut, looks too organized and probably that's why we need verbal proof to make it look real, but the verbal proof actually raises the attention and gives moment for doubt in spectators minds)
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Immediately follow the double undercut with an overhand injog shuffle or three - and you can say whatever you like. It's my favorite way of controlling a selected card.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Kaubell,

in my opinion the double-undercut is an excellent method to control a card, but don't make the mistake I used to make (and many professionals make) and perform the move as soon as the two halves of the pack come together!

There are many techniques which allow you to casually drop the cards onto the chosen one (and even then put the pack on the table) and yet a little later be able to retrieve the break and THEN perform the control, while talking to the audience without even looking at the cards, possibly - as suggested by Lorayne - following it with some false shuffles.

Being in a hurry to get rid of the dirty work as soon as possible is very tempting, but - at the same time - makes you appear anxious to your audience which may suspect "something" is going on.
Card College and Confidences, both books by Roberto Giobbi have many good suggestions you may wish to check out and the same can be said for Liam Montier's Controls Project if you prefer DVDs instead.

Mark
jeffAwesome
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of jeffAwesome
This reminds me of something that Eugene Burger once told me during one of our first sessions together... "Right now your presentation is being driven by what you're doing... I would like your presentation driven by what you're saying. ". Its words I try to live by each time I perform.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
JeffAwesome,

that's a great sentence!
Thanks for sharing

Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Lost in the deck (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL