The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Hobson silk to apple silk question (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
360 Posts

Profile of SleightlyChris
On his DVD he talks about going to a fabric store to purchase a material to make your own cut out silk.

I'd rather not spend 1$ silk that's only 9 inches for this effect. I purchased a material a while ago but forgot what it was and if it was the right type of material.

Anyone have an idea of what the name of the material is? Thanks in advanced
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Was it Crepe?
Was it Silk?
Was it lining material?
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
360 Posts

It was a lining material. Jeff described it as the lining if the inside of a blazer jacket.

It's slipping my mind.

However if you have alternative materials to creak your own 12 inch silk that can fit in a soft thumb tip I'm all ears.

The effect I'm trying to achieve is a silk to apple or fruit. So the largest size I can fit in a tt, will do. I used to use a king size tt but I have really skinny fingers that even a regular tt is rough to use. I currently use a soft Jr tt which is perfect and I can just about get a 9 inch silk in there.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Lining fabric is generally made of Rayon, specifically, Bemberg Rayon (and yes, that spelling is correct). Fabric stores such as Jo-Ann's carry Bemberg or similar weight fabrics relatively that are relatively inexpensive.

You can make your own TT from an aluminum cigar tube. Cut to size, sand the rough edges, add paint, and you are done.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You will just have to visit a fabric store. The more high end I is the finer fabrics you will find. Lining material is the overall name for very thing cloth. They usually have them all in the same section. I have looked at many bolts of material, and none have a name that I can see. The silk at most fabric stores are for ladies blouses, skirts, and dresses, so the fabric is a little heaver then magician's silk.

I think you are overthinking about the TT. YOu need one that will fit I apple, Just keep it behind your fingers, with fingers separated naturally, and you should have no problems.

It is actually good your fingers are thinner, as you will be able to use a larger silk piece. The added material will hold it on your T. You can buy a "pinking shears" at the same time. Using the shears, cut the squares the size you like, and the shears will reduce the material edge from fraying a lot.
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
360 Posts

That's great. Thanks for the advice guys
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Hobson silk to apple silk question (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL