The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » How do you justify the price of gaff? (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2018, funsway wrote:
Likewise the notion that just because something is priced higher implies it must be better.

Just not true that the higher the price the better the item. Here is a comparison I used to pay 60 euros for appearing canes from Germany. Now I pay just 5 for canes of the same or BETTER quality from China. Price is not an automatic dictator of quality and often the lower priced items are as good in not BETTER than the higher priced items. Same is true of sponge eggs. I paid 4 euros each at one time. Now I can get 10 for that price and I think the new ones are better.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2018, funsway wrote:
Likewise the notion that just because something is priced higher implies it must be better.

Just not true that the higher the price the better the item. Here is a comparison I used to pay 60 euros for appearing canes from Germany. Now I pay just 5 for canes of the same or BETTER quality from China. Price is not an automatic dictator of quality and often the lower priced items are as good in not BETTER than the higher priced items. Same is true of sponge eggs. I paid 4 euros each at one time. Now I can get 10 for that price and I think the new ones are better.

I think that it all depends upon why you are making the purchase. If you are buying for utilitarian reasons, you might look for the most efficient way to accomplish your goal at the most reasonable price. If you take pride in collecting, you may look in another direction. Stepping away from coins for a moment, cups and balls are a perfect example.
mentalspoon
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of mentalspoon
There are two arguments here..
Is the tools value in its construction or in its usefulness to the user.?

1 A tools value is only what you get from it. Some came make miracles with inexpensive tools... Its not the tool but the tool using the tool that is important.

2 That being said a badly made gimmick will let you down so often you do pay for craftsmanship.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2018, mentalspoon wrote:
the tool using the tool

Who exactly would that be? I ask because I've been called a "TOOL" a time or two in life and was wondering if we have met?
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
mentalspoon
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of mentalspoon
He. He..me too.. I teach and my students ways argue the merits of the tools when it is them that is important..
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2018, mentalspoon wrote:
He. He..me too.. I teach and my students ways argue the merits of the tools when it is them that is important..

I hope you are not teaching English. Smile
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
mentalspoon
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of mentalspoon
I dooos teach English.
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Investment.
I think the initial mention of the word was under the (mistaken) notion that investment means to buy with assumed selling for profit.
Anything you buy, or are gifted, can be an investment! Buying something you find expensive, is looking towards investment in your act, right?
Invest in the gaff because you obviously must think it will add something to your show. You do the new routine(s), your specsare talking about it, you get bookings.
Ok, I know it's rare you could ever probably link those things together so easily, but it isn't exactly fantasy. I'm just showing the difference between investment for monetary profit, and investment in yourself, your act, your future.
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
mgsmagic
View Profile
New user
Torrance CA
26 Posts

Profile of mgsmagic
Honestly I am surprised ERIC JONES name didn't come up in here. He has several THREE FLY routines that don't use gimmicks at all. I have many that I SOMETIMES use and am learning not to lean on as heavily as I had in the past aka FLIPPERS (Mark Mason's), SELLS (Johnson), and a SLIPPERY SAM d/k who's and the newer venerable TUC which I actually don't like much because as EASY as Mr. Tango makes it look to get it split I seem to have difficulty doing the same and prefer my SLIPPERY SAM. I also have a variety of magnetic coins aka CHASTAIN CHRISWELLS CARTEL COINS, the N4G set and couple of others. I think it behooves us as COIN MAGICIANS to truly do MAGIC w/COINS gaffed or not though the "PUREST" in me says NO GAFFS is better.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » How do you justify the price of gaff? (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL